300 BLK Out PDW barrel Length

This is a discussion on 300 BLK Out PDW barrel Length within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about building this for a while since getting an Aero lower on sale at our post Rod & Gun club. Yesterday I caught ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 300 BLK Out PDW barrel Length

Been thinking about building this for a while since getting an Aero lower on sale at our post Rod & Gun club.

Yesterday I caught a Maxim Defense pistol brace on sale for $100 off, so $359 delivered:

https://www.maximdefense.com/product...race-for-ar15/

My intent is to build a PDW/Truck gun. So the question is, what barrel length for an un-suppressed build???

I'm leaning towards a 10.5", portable, slightly better ballistics and a little quieter, but I'm open for suggestions.

Thoughts???
    homo homini lupus est

My 300blk is an 8.5. I have a 5.56 with an 11.5 and since I can put a longer handguard on it, it makes it much easier to get a good solid grip, but I do like the 8.5 and will probably get a PDW stock on it one of these days.

I also think thats very expensive for a brace. Look at the SB tactical one. You can find them cheaper than that at their normal price. I dont know if there is much difference in the two braces, but I know a lot of people run those.
    We get the government we deserve.

The .300 was designed to run out of a SBR. You should be good anywhere between 8"-12".

I have a BCM 9".
    OldChap, Chuck R. and Bad Bob like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yep...what @matthew03 said. I run a 300 on both an 8" and a 16" barrel. The 8" one performs better than a 5.56 in a 16' barrel.

And @Chuck R. You must have deep pockets, my friend. I paid well under $100 for a perfectly serviceable brace.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

At 9" the 300 Blackout has fully burned its powder. I have an 8.5" barrel and have been happy with it. If you want to shoot sub-sonic ammo I recommend a 1-in-7 barrel twist and a pistol length gas tube.

Lead Moderator
    I have an 8",8.5",9,10.5" and some 16"s.

I like them all. I have killed 6 deer with an 8"barrel, suppressed and never recovered a bullet as all have been pass throughs.

I'd go short. That way, if you ever did want to suppress it, with a suppressor attached you'll only be as long as a carbine is.
    Pete63, G26Raven, rocky and 4 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

8.5" is good enough and probably preferable for PDW purposes, IMHO.

I use the Kak Shockwave brace, for I think $65 online including the dimpled tube (plus shipping). It is built well. It may not be the best "brace", but it is sure good enough for most purposes. If the shockwave hit your shoulder during a gunfight, even if on video, the ATF would not prosecute according to the latest letter. It can't be intended for shoulder use, but incidental shoulder contact is not illegal. Cheek weld to the brace along with a red dot works too if you want to go by the book.

If I were handicapped and could only use one arm, for instance, I would not get the Kak though. It's not the best "brace" in that sense.

I have a light/laser combo on mine, and it's point and shoot however you hold it with the light/laser combo on at PDW distances. 30 rounds of confidence there.

The other consideration is that the sweet spot for 300 Blk is subsonic suppressed firing. That is where this gun really shines, and an 8.5 inch barrel keeps the overall length manageable once you have the suppressor added. That's a serious consideration. Although I am currently, and perhaps foolishly, waiting for Trump to get the hearing protection act passed (for legalization of suppressors), I hear that the 300 Blk is hollywood quiet when using subsonic ammo. Although that would come in handy sound wise inside a truck, it might prove too long for use inside the truck. I guess a truck rifle is ultimately intended for use outside the truck. Never had a truck rifle (pistol by length), but would if living Texas or Nebraska or rural Kansas.

That all said, I just picked up a 10.5 inch barely used PSA upper that included $120 in ammo, $60 in Magpul sights, $90 in nitride bolt carrier group and charging handle, a Ballistics Advantage barrel, all for....wait for it.... $200 cash. Couldn't pass it up. So now I have two blackouts. I may just use it for supersonics. Without the flash suppressor (has thread protector), it actually turned out to be shorter than my 8.5in., with a flash protector, overall. It essentially has the ballistics of an AK in that supersonic role.

Guys,

Thanks for the input so far. Budget is a little over 2K for the entire build with optic and I've been eyeing this brace for a while. Last one I put together went slightly over 3K total, so I guess I'm getting off cheap on this one. The plan is to get the major components when they hit the sales, no real hurry on this one as i've got a couple other projects I'm finishing up.

Looks like with a little more research and then an 8.5" barrel is in my future.

THANKS!
    Bad Bob, Pete63 and matthew03 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Update: Starting to look like something..

It's getting there slowly.........This is my "on sale" pistol as I'm buying the components piece by piece when I see them on sale. Taking my wife's approach of spending money to save it. So far I'm $702.05 into it, with a total estimate of $2100 including the Trijicon MRO & mount. I'm thinking I'll have it done by 2019 due to the upcoming holiday sales......

Aero Stripped lower
    Geissele lower parts kit
    Larue MBT (arrived on Monday)
    Maxim Defense PDW Brace with JP captured spring
    Radian Arms Raptor "LT"
    Magpul Polymer Trigger Guard
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Aero Complete M4E1 Upper

The Maxim brace is pretty cool and about 2" shorter than a standard buffer length brace/stock when collapsed.
    Bad Bob, Pete63, G26Raven and 1 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

I donít understand the draw to 300blk when there isnít a can attached. Then youíre just shooting a slower, way more expensive 7.62x39mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I donít understand the draw to 300blk when there isnít a can attached. Then youíre just shooting a slower, way more expensive 7.62x39mm.
    Well, let me just say you may not be looking closely at the extreme versatility of this round. I was in your camp for a long time - until I really started looking at it. It is smaller than any AK (except a Draco pistol maybe) and it has the same huge selection of the same bullets the .308 has available. Pre-loaded ammo is not any more expensive than anything else at this time.

Of course, nowadays I don't shoot Soviet surplus 7.62x39 stuff in my AK anymore. I see people offering an AK like mine for $1000! I paid a little bit under $600 for it new, so it gets pampered.

You owe it to yourself to try one and see what you think. Just my opinion.
    matthew03 likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I had a 7.5" 300, a 7.5" and a 10.5" 5.56. Now I have a 8.5" 40 S&W...

With just the muzzle device it is hearing safe with Tula ammo. Ballistically the 300 will beat it, barely. The 5.56 is a wash, depending on ammo selection in both.

300 BLK Out PDW barrel Length-img_20180822_220048.jpg
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    To add on to OldChap's comments, it really is just a barrel and muzzle device.

Even the brass can be made from .223. Honestly IF anything I'm less interested in the sub ammo, which basically equates to a .30 caliber .45ACP round.....Before I went that route I'd put a can on a short barreled PCC.
    OldChap likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    To add on to OldChap's comments, it really is just a barrel and muzzle device.

Even the brass can be made from .223. Honestly IF anything I'm less interested in the sub ammo, which basically equates to a .30 caliber .45ACP round.....Before I went that route I'd put a can on a short barreled PCC.
    Looks like the 220 gr BO has a ballistic advantage past 25 yards; the .45 ACP a ballistic advantage out to 25 yards. That assumes both bullets have a muzzle velocity of 1015 fps.

I think the 300 BO advantage is, magazine capacity, AR platform compatibility, AR magazine compatibility, supersonic/subsonic by just round selection, and wide range of bullet weights from like 110 or so to 240 gr or so, and much better down range ballistics compared to PPC.

Hmmm, I have an 8" 300 BO and a .308 suppressor, why am I not using it? I'm gonna have to give this some thought!
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    what muzzle device is recommended for 300BO AR pistol until my can gets out of jail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links