Home Defense Shotguns Recommendations - Page 2

Home Defense Shotguns Recommendations

This is a discussion on Home Defense Shotguns Recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 12ga Mossy 590 will be next buy...once the littles are not so little. Then it will be available for HD action....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Home Defense Shotguns Recommendations

12ga Mossy 590 will be next buy...once the littles are not so little. Then it will be available for HD action.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

I am a huge 870 fan and have a love specifically for the marine magnum. I’ve got one that’s 2008 manufacture one that’s 2013. I got my brother one in 2018 which was ordered directly from the factory all have been tested. The oldest one is what I use as a patrol shotgun which I shoot very regularly never had a hiccup. My brother shoots clay pigeons with his at the house with good success. They’ve always been reliable and make for an extremely well wearing gun the one that goes with me everyday has just a couple ever so slight shiny spots from carrying it. If it were me I would buy another tomorrow if one is worried about quality keep in mind for every “problem” that’s boasted on the internet how many hundreds if not thousands are running strong.
    MMinSC and Old Man like this.

Bennelli Supernova Tactical is very underrated and overlooked. Can shoot 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 shells. Recoil reduction stock, extra long forend, large trigger guard and a push button shell stop so you can empty or change the type of shell that is chambered without emptying what’s in the magazine.
    Old Man, PJH and LimaCharlie like this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    If its only for HD don't disregard the Maverick 88. It's a Mossberg but goes for <$200 typically. Lots of reviews out there but its a solid performer for HD in a 12ga.
    I second this.It uses a lot of parts that are interchangable with the 500.I have the 18" barrel and I added a heat shield and different stock and still have less than$250 in it.
    ugh762x39 and PPS1980 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Bennelli Supernova Tactical is very underrated and overlooked. Can shoot 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 shells. Recoil reduction stock, extra long forend, large trigger guard and a push button shell stop so you can empty or change the type of shell that is chambered without emptying what’s in the magazine.
    My son has one of these and its a sweet handling,shooting shotgun,but it also was $500 a couple years back.That is a little much if you are using it just as a HD gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BSides01 View Post
    My son has one of these and its a sweet handling,shooting shotgun,but it also was $500 a couple years back.That is a little much if you are using it just as a HD gun.
    But compared to a 590 or especially a 590a1, there is very little or no difference.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I too would avoid the newer Remington 870s. The older 870s are great, if you can find one.

The Mossberg 500, 590A1, and 930 SPX Tactical are all excellent home defense platforms - and that list is in price order from low to high. The SPX is great and cuts down on recoil if you’re not using low recoil buckshot.

If you can find an older Winchester 1300 Defender, jump on it.

The Benellis are good, but parts and accessories are problematical.

The IAC Hawk 981 Tactical Model is (or at least was) one of the best values on the market. Mine is an older one, and is fully equal to the best 870 Tactical ever made - for very little money. I would check a new one over carefully though.

There are some good ones I’ve surely missed.
    The Winchester 1300 is a real good gun....but the Winchester 1200 was even better! The 1200's and Ithaca Model 37 were some of the slickest fastest pump guns out there! Just my .02 worth!
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Well, the first question is–what’s your budget? Because there’s much to be said about an autoloader, and in that role, I think Benelli is the go-to (I have a couple of M1’s, and it would be first choice in an autoloader HD shotgun).

If we are talking lower budget? I much prefer Mossberg pumps for one big reason–the lifter clears the loading gate, making loading the tube much easier. I have two pump 500’s around the place, one a “Cruiser” 8-shot Model, the other an old MonkeyWards rebadged with an 18” riot tube.

But, if you want an 870, there’s plenty of older ones around. I’d say, look for an older Wingmaster, bring it to a smith who can cut the barrel down to 18.25” and put a new bead on it...should run you under $200 for the entire package.
    OD* and Old Man like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Want to add for H-D use theirs nothing wrong with a good double gun. Often times you can find a longer bird gun cheap and shorten it. If you don’t feel comfortable doing the work yourself any smith worth his salt will do a dandy job. I’ve got several that I find nice. There my stash around the house guns I’ve even got one in 10 gauge.
    5lima30ret, MMinSC and Cuda66 like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I have a variety of shotguns that have been acquired over decades of shotgunning and the one I keep ready for home defense is an old cylinder bore Mossberg 500 w 20" bbl and 9 shot tube. It's got ammo slots on both sides of the stock where 2 rounds can be stored on each side, so that puts 13 rounds in your hands with the gun. It's easy to use, easy to shoot, and easy to hit the target with.
    A few years ago I got an exposed hammer side by side double bbl 12 ga coach gun, thinking my wife might prefer that for it's simplicity, but after the first firing she wouldn't touch it again. That one is like holding onto a stick of TNT. But it's deadly on any target within 50 yards. When I take it to the range I actually wear gloves to shoot it so it won't take a bite out of the top of my right hand when it recoils. It's a blast to shoot...literally...and eyes widen up and down the range when it goes off.
    I do think there is something to be said for the sound of a pump shotgun having a round racked into the chamber, especially in the dark. So the Mossberg stays ready and the coach gun stays in the safe with the bird guns.

I'll be another one to recommend the Maverick 88. It's my first shotgun and I really like it. A great quality shotgun on a nice budget price. Look at the reviews and you'll see there's very little (if any) negative feedback.
    ugh762x39 likes this.

I’m not a shotgun guy (yet), but have alway had them in my sights (see what I did there?) for someday. Just got my first AR a couple months ago, so that pushed my shotgun days back a bit until my piggy bank fills back up & wife settles back down.

This seems like a good candidate, Mossberg 500 tactical, 20” 12 GA with sights, 7+1 capacity, $299 shipped ... what’s not to like?

https://www.gunbuyer.com/mossberg-50...hts-50567.html
    ugh762x39 and Old Man like this.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

No Shockwave mentioned yet?
    Goldy49, flh and 5lima30ret like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    I like the 870, but think that there are a lot of shotguns appropriate for home defense. Many can be multi-purpose with hunting and sporting applications, too.

They 870 I have for Home Defense is what is usually referred to as the Police model, a 12 gauge with the parkerized finish and cylinder choked barrel. My model has a plain walnut oil finished stock.

I have used the Benelli products and while they are top notch, they are pretty pricey, particularly if you are on a budget.

Going against the grain with a lot of folks, I have recommended 20 gauge semi-auto shotguns to persons with no prior experience or break open double barrel twenty gauge shotguns. There are low recoil tactical loads now available for twelve gauges which are easier to shoot and train with for a lot of persons.
    Last edited by Old Man; October 20th, 2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Geez, I have two shotguns for HD - a 12 ga Winchester '97 (retro made for cowboy action shooting) and a 20 ga mule ear double barrel. Just pull the hammers back and you are good to go.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links