Spikes Tactical Dedicated 9mm Forged Lower

This is a discussion on Spikes Tactical Dedicated 9mm Forged Lower within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought I would give a short report on this product. I decided to go with this one because I didn't want to build a 5.56 ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By Gunnie
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 2 Post By OldChap

Thread: Spikes Tactical Dedicated 9mm Forged Lower

Thought I would give a short report on this product. I decided to go with this one because I didn't want to build a 5.56 lower just to use a mag well adapter for the 9mm PSA upper.

This one is a bit expensive, but looking it over, it appears well worth the extra expense. It has everything needed to handle a 9mm mag and all the controls already built in. It even has the hinge pins pre-installed. All you need is a FCG (trigger), safety, and grip, plus buffer tube assembly. I was building a pistol, so I ordered a pistol kit from my friends at PSA complete with a KAK brace - I just can't see $150 for a brace. You can get a complete assembled lower for the price of a silly brace. The KAK has worked perfectly for me.

I'm impressed with this lower and the evident time they spent getting it right. I would judge it well worth the extra $ for a dedicated 9mm AR.

One issue that reared it's ugly head and after talking to John at Spikes, I discovered that they designed this lower to work with Metalform Colt SMG mags - 32 or 20 rounders. I tried a ProMag 32 rounder and while it inserts just fine, it is absolutely not drop free. In fact, I thought about a hammer to get it free, but I finally worked it out. So be mindful of that when you select a lower. I understand the Spikes lower for Glock mags doesn't work with Glock factory mags. I learned that it would have been wise to contact the lower manufacturer FIRST and see what mag they guarantee works.

One other item. The great folks at GunMagWarehouse.com came through again. I saw that they carried TWO kinds of metal COLT SMG mags. One was $51 and the other was $34. The $34 one was a Metalform mag that was made for Colt. I have no idea who the other one was made by. So I ordered a Metalform mag since that was what the Spikes tech said they designed their lower to work with. Once again, when you have mag issues, these folks at GunMagWarehouse are absolutely top notch. I highly recommend them.

Last - the mag price is certainly higher than the el-cheapo ProMags, but is about the same as a Glock 32 round mag. BUT whichever way you decide to go, if you go with a dedicated 9mm lower, check to see WHAT KIND of mags the lower is designed to work with.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

The two main makers of metal 9MM Colt mags are ASC and Metalform ..Both at one point or other other made them for Colt depeding on Era ...Colt 9mm mags esp factory ones are not cheep at all ..And yeah Pro mag no real surpise on that

PSA as a FYI does carry a 9mm AR mags marked PSA but are metalform I think ..If you wanted one or two to try out let me know ..They use to be like 10 bucks or so for them at one point

CDNN has Metalform on sale now and then

oh and FYI UZI mags normal can be made to work as well ..That is what the Colt mags are based on ..Just a matter of cutting the right hole what people use to do back in the ban era

I can see why the MP5 and Glock mag AR are catching on ..9MM stick mags can be a pain
    OldChap likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I can strongly recommend the 9mm c products magazines as well. Also if you don’t mind a little work uzi magazines are still cheap and the conversion process is quite simple. It can be done with either a dremel or a mill if you have access
    OldChap likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't recommend the ASC mags at all.

Have 3 (2- 32s and a 20) for my Colt AR5951 and none are what I'd call reliable. The 20 rder is a replacement for the 1st 20rd that had a follower that stuck.

Metalforms, I have 15 and they all have been 100%. PSA occasionally has sales on them for a ridiculously low price, I picked up mine for $12.95 each, free shipping for 10. Next best price I've seen is from Greg Cote who now has them for $23.95:

AR-15 9MM METALFORM MAGAZINES : Greg Cote, LLC
    OldChap likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

@Chuck R. Thanks for the link. Looks very, very good. I ordered two from GunMagWarehouse. They said the Metalform mags had been out of stock for a few months and they just got some in.

Thanks to everyone else for the info and possible things to avoid. I went and played with the ProMag 32 rounders again and found that the more I put them in and out the easier they get to remove. And it is marking the polymer on the mag itself, so I may take the Dremel or some sandpaper to it and see what I can do.

I have a ProMag PM237B mag well adapter and I got an envelope in the mail (no bomb thankfully) with a replacement piece for the one that looks flaky. Now with the two Metalforms, and if I fix the ProMags, I'll be set for a while. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
    WrongRecroom and Chuck R. like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links