My first tactical rifle match today. - Page 2

My first tactical rifle match today.

This is a discussion on My first tactical rifle match today. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Secret Spuk OK so what is a tactical rifle again? OK so why the 30 round magazines? What is wrong with a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: My first tactical rifle match today.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    OK so what is a tactical rifle again?
    OK so why the 30 round magazines? What is wrong with a 20 round mag?
    I guess the 30 round magizines was to help spped things along. I did bring my 20 rounder and my 5 rounder as well and used them at times.
    OD*, Old Man, Secret Spuk and 1 others like this.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    As the title states today I am going to try out a tactical rifle match at my local gun range. I just found out about it yesterday from a guy and i was like what the heck Ill give it a go. I am going to be using my Arsenal SGL-21 "AK" chamberd in 7.62x39. I dont know much about the match except we will be shooting at steel and paper targets, not sure of the distance or shooting positions either. I was instructed to bring 350 rounds of ammo 4 30 round mags or more if I have them. I think most people will be shooting their AR style rifles so I might be the odd man out lol but I love my AK. It will be scored on time and hit as far as I know. I wish it was going o be a warmer day here but it doesn't look like it will be getting very warm. Either way I figured I would give it my best and just have fun, if people seem to be taking it to serious then I wont do it again. Wish me luck I might just need it lol.
    Bravo, Leatherneck! I love the fact that you put your boots on and went out to the event without doing tons of research or preparation. Isn't that how life often hits us? Full of surprises that force us to think on our feet and react.

Thanks for the post action report. Glad you enjoyed it.

HAHA I dont know why they always say "tactical" ...
    Because it's the "IN" word. I have grown to despise the use of the word outside of military operations.
    usmc0811, OD*, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Because it's the "IN" word. I have grown to despise the use of the word outside of military operations.
    Same here. I only put it in the title because that's exactly what they called the course. Seams like anything black, or new they classify as "Tactical"

Same here. I only put it in the title because that's exactly what they called the course. Seams like anything black, or new they classify as "Tactical"
    I think it also helps differentiate to some extent between the"normal" rifle matches such as bench rest or position shooting on bulls-eye type tgts. "Tactical" although over-used does imply some sort of movement and non-bullseye targets at least.

I end up using either "tactical" or "combat" frequently to describe the kind of matches I shoot to non-shooters. A lot of the non-gun folks don't have an idea of what competitions are available. For instance when I competed in Trap a lot of non-shotgun sports folks would call it "skeet", to them any sport that shot at a clay pigeon was "skeet".

Biggest and most important question though........"Are you going back?"
    OD*, airslot and CWOUSCG like this.
    homo homini lupus est

It is almost a turn-off when I see that word slapped on a product or program when there is little, if anything. "tactical" about it.
    Tactical is taking out a bridge so the enemy can't use it to escape. Strategic is nuking the country so they have no place to escape to.
    airslot and usmc0811 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I think it also helps differentiate to some extent between the"normal" rifle matches such as bench rest or position shooting on bulls-eye type tgts. "Tactical" although over-used does imply some sort of movement and non-bullseye targets at least.

I end up using either "tactical" or "combat" frequently to describe the kind of matches I shoot to non-shooters. A lot of the non-gun folks don't have an idea of what competitions are available. For instance when I competed in Trap a lot of non-shotgun sports folks would call it "skeet", to them any sport that shot at a clay pigeon was "skeet".

Biggest and most important question though........"Are you going back?"
    The shooting I did yesterday consisted of shooting on the move, prone, standing, kneeling, through barrels, on a swinging platform, double and tipple taps on steel and paper, hostage targets, mag changes and reloads, getting muddy and wet lol so I guess that is why it was called "TACTICAL"
    Will I go back??? Yeah most likely. They have one of these shoots every other month and change the course of fire each time so it is always different. They also have pistol courses, rifle & pistol , pistol caliber carbine, 22 rimfire, and ones where its older weapons like M1 Garand's and M14's, Mossins ect.
    I would like to do the pistol shoots since I reload for pistol calibers and could keep the cost down for ammo. Buying rifle ammo gets expensive and goes quick. I guess I could always start to reload for rifle calibers or I could buy a pistol caliber carbine lol I really like the Ruger PCC's that they have out now.

VIP Member
    I could buy a pistol caliber carbine lol I really like the Ruger PCC's that they have out now.
    Hubby "Gramps" has one and has enjoyed it tremendously. Since we already had Glock magazines he didn't actually need any more magazines, but wanted more, so I ordered two more 17 round ones for him. He talked about a 30 round one but at the time there were no Glock factory ones - only after market. I had an enlightening experience years ago with a 30 round after market mag (it just plain wouldn't feed!), and Gramps agreed that the factory 17 round ones would be better anyway if he needed to shoot from a bench. He has an old red dot sight that he put on it and it works for him, although you could use it plain if you have better eyes than my old geezer does.

At least two of the guys in his weekly shooting group rushed right out and bought one of those PCC carbines after he let them shoot his. With 9mm ammo being so cheap now, that PCC might be a good thing to have, even if you don't use it regularly.

If you have a supply of Ruger magazines, they work also -- since it is a Ruger..........
    usmc0811, OD* and CWOUSCG like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Hubby "Gramps" has one and has enjoyed it tremendously. Since we already had Glock magazines he didn't actually need any more magazines, but wanted more, so I ordered two more 17 round ones for him. He talked about a 30 round one but at the time there were no Glock factory ones - only after market. I had an enlightening experience years ago with a 30 round after market mag (it just plain wouldn't feed!), and Gramps agreed that the factory 17 round ones would be better anyway if he needed to shoot from a bench. He has an old red dot sight that he put on it and it works for him, although you could use it plain if you have better eyes than my old geezer does.

At least two of the guys in his weekly shooting group rushed right out and bought one of those PCC carbines after he let them shoot his. With 9mm ammo being so cheap now, that PCC might be a good thing to have, even if you don't use it regularly.

If you have a supply of Ruger magazines, they work also -- since it is a Ruger..........
    Yes a 9mm PCC would be nice to have, but Im still holding off for now in hopes Ruger will make a 10mm PCC, Then I would get the Glock 20 to match with it. I have only seen and head good things about these Ruger PCC's
    OD* likes this.

The shooting I did yesterday consisted of shooting on the move, prone, standing, kneeling, through barrels, on a swinging platform, double and tipple taps on steel and paper, hostage targets, mag changes and reloads, getting muddy and wet lol so I guess that is why it was called "TACTICAL"
    Will I go back??? Yeah most likely. They have one of these shoots every other month and change the course of fire each time so it is always different. They also have pistol courses, rifle & pistol , pistol caliber carbine, 22 rimfire, and ones where its older weapons like M1 Garand's and M14's, Mossins ect.
    I would like to do the pistol shoots since I reload for pistol calibers and could keep the cost down for ammo. Buying rifle ammo gets expensive and goes quick. I guess I could always start to reload for rifle calibers or I could buy a pistol caliber carbine lol I really like the Ruger PCC's that they have out now.
    That's the beauty of it.....a chance to wring you and your equipment out, rather than sit at a bench and shoot groups (or patterns in the case of some guys). Also IF a guy wants to get remotely serious, it forces practice on those areas we don't normally do well in. People have a strange tendency to practice what we do well, and blow off the stuff we don't. Competition sort of cures that, unless you're a fan of the "school of hard knocks" in which case you probably also walked to the match, both ways, uphill, and in the snow

For rifle ammo, I'd check out the bulk prices. I reload for .223 (and everything else I shoot) and honestly on the bulk stuff suitable for 3GUN/blasting ammo it's almost a draw on the expense. IF the distances are PCCish, that's the route I'd go, mostly cause there's a lot of prep work involved in the rifle stuff, not to ever see the brass come back. We have 4 or so PCC matches a year at out IDPA club, so I scratch my PCC itch then. Technically you can shoot PCC at any IDPA match now, but these 4 are specifically for the PCCs and the stages are designed to make it a PITA, by using cover to force added shoulder transitions, non-standard positions, etc.

Good on you for "showing up"!!
    homo homini lupus est

I'd love to try my hand at a match. Not because I'm interested in my time or how well I would do, but because I feel like it could give real world experience in shooting and moving, which I never get.
    usmc0811 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    in which case you probably also walked to the match, both ways, uphill, and in the snow
    How did you know?

How did you know?
    Well the USMC handle was sort of a giveaway.......
    usmc0811, OD* and CWOUSCG like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't shoot 3-gun, primarily handgun competition, but I echo Chuck's comments re the nature of the competitors. I'm fortunate to call Rio Salado my home range. We have several top-ranked shooters in our club (Leatham, Jonasson, Oosthuisen) and we draw lots more for our big regional and sectional matches. Most of them are easy-going and respectful, and who tape and reset targets and pick up brass along with we mere mortals. The house-sized egos seem be among the Grand Master wannabes.
    Yea it's the wannabes that are usually so full of themselves. The bigger the names, the nicer they are. Sponsors don't want to be representeded by jerks. I've shot with the miculeks, KC eusabio and a few other big names and they don't come any nicer. But you have to resepect this is how the make a liviing and give them space. Lena Miculek has shown up at a couple of our local matches in the winter and she cuts up just like everyone else when no money is on the line. First to paste too.
    usmc0811 and gasmitty like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links