My first tactical rifle match today.

This is a discussion on My first tactical rifle match today. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title states today I am going to try out a tactical rifle match at my local gun range. I just found out about ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: My first tactical rifle match today.

As the title states today I am going to try out a tactical rifle match at my local gun range. I just found out about it yesterday from a guy and i was like what the heck Ill give it a go. I am going to be using my Arsenal SGL-21 "AK" chamberd in 7.62x39. I dont know much about the match except we will be shooting at steel and paper targets, not sure of the distance or shooting positions either. I was instructed to bring 350 rounds of ammo 4 30 round mags or more if I have them. I think most people will be shooting their AR style rifles so I might be the odd man out lol but I love my AK. It will be scored on time and hit as far as I know. I wish it was going o be a warmer day here but it doesn't look like it will be getting very warm. Either way I figured I would give it my best and just have fun, if people seem to be taking it to serious then I wont do it again. Wish me luck I might just need it lol.
    airslot, G26Raven, Tstone and 8 others like this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good time. Have some fun.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    That's why I quit going to the local 3 gun matches. People were waaaaaay to hard core about it. Plus your time was dependent on how fast you could load your shotgun. The steel guys were much more fun. Along with the two gun folks.

I'm just out there to have fun and sharpen my skills. Not play operator.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    That's why I quit going to the local 3 gun matches. People were waaaaaay to hard core about it. Plus your time was dependent on how fast you could load your shotgun. The steel guys were much more fun. Along with the two gun folks.

That is what keeps me FAR away from 3 gun. I was a SERIOUS competitor 30 years ago and have no desire to go back ito that wormhole.
    ThirdShift, OD*, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post

It's a competition, so of course you'll find guys that are taking it seriously.

I've found very few guys that show up for a match wanting to do poorly.........I do have one friend that might be taking that track based on his scores though.

But generally like any other competition you'll find a mix that are there for different reasons, the majority are there to have fun, just in their own way. I've competed in about 7 shooting disciplines; Cowboy Action, Trap, Sporting Clays, Skeet, IDPA, Silhouette, long range, Small Bore, IPSC, every one had some "dicks" at the top end and folks that just wanted to have fun. Nature of the beast. Even the "dicks" were generally nice guys once the match was done and they were out of the "zone".

Unfortunately for the newer shooters it can be intimidating. Once you make friends among the shooters, you'll begin your own "squadding" of like minded guys and similar abilities. In my IDPA club there's 7 or 8 of us that squad together almost every match, just so happens that squad has the top 5 or 6 shooters in the club and really we're competing against each other. I shoot better because of it. At 3Gun, we've got a squad of "tactical" guys that are there to practice. They don't care about scores and shoot the stages the "right" way, time and scores be damned. For them it's paying a fee for someone to set up a practice course.

If you want to shoot a match, then go and shoot a match, keep it safe, stay within the rules and don't worry about the "other guys". Sooner or later you'll be in a niche of like minded shooters.
    Last edited by Chuck R.; March 9th, 2019 at 01:49 PM.
    homo homini lupus est

OK so what is a tactical rifle again?
    OK so why the 30 round magazines? What is wrong with a 20 round mag?

VIP Member
    Good luck and have fun with it, usmc0811. That's the great part about shooting sports - it's all fun!
    Chuck R. and usmc0811 like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    OK so what is a tactical rifle again?
    OK so why the 30 round magazines? What is wrong with a 20 round mag?
    Depends on the course and the sport.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Time plus points, it takes longer to reload more frequently so more time = worse score.

Of course people take it seriously, they invest 1000s of dollars and many many hours of there time and want to do well. Why does that bother anyone? Even local matches are a place to gauge how you will do at larger matches. You wanna see serious, shoot with some pros
    . some are real buttholes during the match, but super nice before and after. I've seen some demand no talking when they are at the line.
    Chuck R. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    It's a competition, so of coarse you'll find guys that are taking it seriously.

I've found very few guys that show up for a match wanting to do poorly.........I do have one friend that might be taking that track based on his scores though.

But generally like any other competition you'll find a mix that are there for different reasons, the majority are there to have fun, just in their own way. I've competed in about 7 shooting disciplines; Cowboy Action, Trap, Sporting Clays, Skeet, IDPA, Silhouette, long range, Small Bore, IPSC, every one had some "dicks" at the top end and folks that just wanted to have fun. Nature of the beast. Even the "dicks" were generally nice guys once the match was done and they were out of the "zone".

Unfortunately for the newer shooters it can be intimidating. Once you make friends among the shooters, you'll begin your own "squadding" of like minded guys and similar abilities. In my IDPA club there's 7 or 8 of us that squad together almost every match, just so happens that squad has the top 5 or 6 shooters in the club and really we're competing against each other. I shoot better because of it. At 3Gun, we've got a squad of "tactical" guys that are there to practice. They don't care about scores and shoot the stages the "right" way, time and scores be damned. For them it's paying a fee for someone to set up a practice course.

If you want to shoot a match, then go and shoot a match, keep it safe, stay within the rules and don't worry about the "other guys". Sooner or later you'll be in a niche of like minded shooters.
    Are they guys who do this for their job, or guys who watched John wick too many times? Lol
    Chuck R. likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    As the title states today I am going to try out a tactical rifle match at my local gun range. I just found out about it yesterday from a guy and i was like what the heck Ill give it a go. I am going to be using my Arsenal SGL-21 "AK" chamberd in 7.62x39. I dont know much about the match except we will be shooting at steel and paper targets, not sure of the distance or shooting positions either. I was instructed to bring 350 rounds of ammo 4 30 round mags or more if I have them. I think most people will be shooting their AR style rifles so I might be the odd man out lol but I love my AK. It will be scored on time and hit as far as I know. I wish it was going o be a warmer day here but it doesn't look like it will be getting very warm. Either way I figured I would give it my best and just have fun, if people seem to be taking it to serious then I wont do it again. Wish me luck I might just need it lol.
    Good luck on having fun at the match and seeing what it is all about.
    usmc0811 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Are they guys who do this for their job, or guys who watched John wick too many times? Lol
    A little of both I think..the majority are ex .mil a couple LE and at least a couple are local defensive trainers with multiple trips to Thunder Ranch and Gunsite. I shoot IDPA with a couple of them once in a while and they treat it the same way. Some tgts they'll just go ahead and do a FTS on "just because", kind of like running a CoF within a CoF. While normal tgt engagements call for doubles, they're just as likely to do a "non-standard response" of 3-6rds. Nobody gets excited about it. They're safe, stay within the 180 rule (3gun 180 second, not the muzzle rule), pay their fees, help run stages, etc. they, just like the song, shoot it "their way".
    OD*, Havok and gasmitty like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Good luck and have fun. Do it for yourself, not everyone else.
    OD*, Chuck R., usmc0811 and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    I don't shoot 3-gun, primarily handgun competition, but I echo Chuck's comments re the nature of the competitors. I'm fortunate to call Rio Salado my home range. We have several top-ranked shooters in our club (Leatham, Jonasson, Oosthuisen) and we draw lots more for our big regional and sectional matches. Most of them are easy-going and respectful, and who tape and reset targets and pick up brass along with we mere mortals. The house-sized egos seem be among the Grand Master wannabes.
    Chuck R., ThirdShift, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

HAHA I dont know why they always say "tactical" but for me the most tactical I got was I have a peep site on my AK. It was me with my AK and one other guy, All the other guys 20 or so had AR style rifles with some type of optic and flashlights. Not me irons all the way and I did very good compaired to some of the other guys there. Some had rifle malfunctions or ammo issues. All in all it was fun and thats all I was looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links