What's the difference between the 1100 and 1187?

This is a discussion on What's the difference between the 1100 and 1187? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all! Many of you probably already know the difference between these two, but I put this together over the weekend just for anyone who ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 5 Post By hrfunk
  • 2 Post By Tstone
  • 1 Post By Gabill
  • 1 Post By hrfunk
  • 1 Post By redmc
  • 1 Post By Old Man
  • 2 Post By Gabill
  • 1 Post By SatCong

Thread: What's the difference between the 1100 and 1187?

Hi all! Many of you probably already know the difference between these two, but I put this together over the weekend just for anyone who might have a question.

Howard

Tstone, OD*, Pete63 and 2 others like this.

I enjoyed learning the difference between the two Remington models. Well done, hrfunk.

Actually, I watched the video about 10-15 minutes ago on your YT channel. Very glad to see your channel hasn't been shut down.
    OD* and Old Man like this.
    "Sometimes it never quits raining, sometimes that phone just won't ring,
    sometimes I never miss nothin', and sometimes, I miss anything...
    "

Lyle Lovett / Cryin' Shame

The Remington 1100 is the older and to me a better model Automatic Shotgun. I have owned several 1100 and still have 4 or 5. Great all around shotgun. nice video!
    OD* likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    I enjoyed learning the difference between the two Remington models. Well done, hrfunk.

Actually, I watched the video about 10-15 minutes ago on your YT channel. Very glad to see your channel hasn't been shut down.
    Me too! Thanks for watching.

Howard
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    The Remington 1100 is the older and to me a better model Automatic Shotgun. I have owned several 1100 and still have 4 or 5. Great all around shotgun. nice video!
    Thanks! Like I said in the video, the 1100 is a classic shotgun. The higher grades are very aesthetically pleasing, and when used with the proper ammunition, they run very well.

Howard

I have had several 1100 shotguns and never had t o change barrels to shoot different loads. the 12 ga guns would shoot skeet or short magnum ammo.
    My other 1100 would shoot ever I put in them. This is new to me, I guess I didn't do what I was supposed to. The only time I changed a barrel was to get screw in choke tubes
    I watched the video again and he did say yo must change the 1100 barrel to shoot heavier loads, This is not right.
    Last edited by redmc; March 11th, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
    hrfunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    I have had several 1100 shotguns and never had t o change barrels to shoot different loads. the 12 ga guns would shoot skeet or short magnum ammo.
    My other 1100 would shoot ever I put in them. This is new to me, I guess I didn't do what I was supposed to. The only time I changed a barrel was to get screw in choke tubes.
    I think it is kind of variable from one shotgun to the next. I've heard others say the same thing you did. Apparently, it was enough of an issue for some shooters that Remington went to the time and expense of re-engineering the gas system. Interestingly, for my 1187P barrel, they did away with the gas relief system (since the "P" models are expected to be fired with full-power loads). So essentially, other than a slightly longer barrel extension, and the model number stamped on the receiver, it is an 1100.

Howard

Howard

I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was earlier 1100s shot only 2-3/4 shells, and it could not be easily adapted to shoot 3" shells, so they came out with the 11-87, a virtual copy. I've also heard something in the loading gate was prone (?) to break with the 1100. I've never had to fix mine but a buddy did have to have his repaired once. Don't recall the exact problem.

I inherited mine from my F-in-L. Used it quite a bit hunting in WA, but it collected dust here in FL until I ran down a 20" barrel and installed it for HD. The 26" IC barrel it came with never had an issue with any loads I ran through it, including reloads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Nice piano playing by your daughter.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne, "The Shootist."

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Nice piano playing by your daughter.
    Thank you! I'll pass that on to her.

Howard

Distinguished Member
    Thanks Howard for another good video.
    hrfunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was earlier 1100s shot only 2-3/4 shells, and it could not be easily adapted to shoot 3" shells, so they came out with the 11-87, a virtual copy. I've also heard something in the loading gate was prone (?) to break with the 1100. I've never had to fix mine but a buddy did have to have his repaired once. Don't recall the exact problem.

I inherited mine from my F-in-L. Used it quite a bit hunting in WA, but it collected dust here in FL until I ran down a 20" barrel and installed it for HD. The 26" IC barrel it came with never had an issue with any loads I ran through it, including reloads.
    I have a 1100 magnum that shoots 3" shells. In fact I bought another barrel for the screw in chokes. Best shotgun that I think I have shot. I have o/u that are 3 to 4 times more expensive and they don't shoot any better. I have killed a lot of doves with the 1100 and a few quail.
    OldVet and hrfunk like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I have done a little three gun years and this my 1187. I have one other barrel that hasn't been used.

hrfunk likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Sponsored Links