Classic Marlin Camp 9 or new Ruger PC9?

This is a discussion on Classic Marlin Camp 9 or new Ruger PC9? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a very clean Marlin Camp 9 with upgraded spring and buffer.. It is a lovely gun that shoots soft and sweet and is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Classic Marlin Camp 9 or new Ruger PC9?

I have a very clean Marlin Camp 9 with upgraded spring and buffer.. It is a lovely gun that shoots soft and sweet and is quite accurate,, a pleasure to shoot.. Looks very nice as well.. classic looking carbine.

When i bought it it was about the only ""NY compliant"" 9 mm carbine on the used market, unless I wanted a Just Right carbine for a lot of money and to me they are absolutely hideous...

Now that Ruger has re released their excellent PC9, I have been considering getting one because of the increased reliability, better serviceability, parts availability, lifetime warranty, and overall ruggedness.. the marlin is a sweet rifle, but I doubt is built anywhere nearly as stoutly as the Camp 9.. My Camp 9 is in great condition, and I have emailed 3 local dealers about it, and they all want it... One told me he would trade a new PC 9 for it, but for what he paid for the PC9, in reality he would only be giving me about $400 or less, for a gun they would probably sell for $750-800...
    the Camp 9 values seem to have dropped however since the Ruger PC9 was released.. A few years ago, a clean Camp 9 was a $1000 gun at times, and I was actually lucky to find one at "only" $750..
    Would everyone just keep the camp 9, or swap it for the Ruger, and eat the loss?... I might be able to finagle a deal for the Ruger and some sort of cheapo $200 handgun if I play my cards right...

My son told me to just keep the Marlin, there no advantage in the Ruger as basically they both do the same thing.. True enough, but the day the Marlin breaks if ever, I might be looking at 9 miles of bad road getting it up and running again, IF it can be gotten running again.. If they Ruger breaks, I call them and say " my gun is broke, fix it"....
    What would you guys do?.. I keep going back and forth, trade it/keep it.... bob

Keep the Marlin.

Setup a swear jar, put a few $ away each week or whatever it takes to slowly save up for the Ruger. Scour Gunbroker and find a great deal.
    redmc, TSKnight and hogdaddy like this.

Senior Moderator
    I, too, hankered for a Marlin Camp carbine, and later, the Ruger PC9. Just never had the spare change when they were both in production. I was intrigued when the new Ruger came out, then I saw some being run in a big USPSA match, and I was sold. Picked one up at a good price in a Black Friday sale.

The Marlin is a sweet gun, but nowhere near as rugged and robust as the Ruger. I do like the Ruger but I think it's about a pound heavier than it needs to be, and the trigger on mine needs some work (although close enough to a 10/22 trigger that I'm comfortable working on it myself).

If your budget can only swing one gun, then I'd favor the Ruger, primarily for the reasons you cite. You can still get most parts for Ruger's 1949-vintage Standard Pistol, whereas Marlin is wondering who its daddy is these days. Otherwise, follow the advice in Post #2!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Keep the Marlin.

Setup a swear jar, put a few $ away each week or whatever it takes to slowly save up for the Ruger. Scour Gunbroker and find a great deal.
    money really isn't the issue, I can afford both.. its just that I don't need both really.. I have other rifles, and 2 9mm long guns doesn't seem to make sense.. I was happy with the Marlin, only take it to the range at rare intervals, but I suppose i am worried about its long term reliability, and I wouldn't have that concern with the ruger... either that, or i just plain want the ruger more... You know how this "I need more guns" thing goes... You really don't need more guns.. You kind of just want more guns.... bob

Senior Moderator
    You really don't need more guns.. You kind of just want more guns.... bob
    That's not a problem here!
    OldChap and hogdaddy like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    money really isn't the issue, I can afford both.. its just that I don't need both really.. I have other rifles, and 2 9mm long guns doesn't seem to make sense.. I was happy with the Marlin, only take it to the range at rare intervals, but I suppose i am worried about its long term reliability, and I wouldn't have that concern with the ruger... either that, or i just plain want the ruger more... You know how this "I need more guns" thing goes... You really don't need more guns.. You kind of just want more guns.... bob
    In that case just go for it. Keep the Marlin and get the Ruger. Very likely if you got rid of the Marlin you'd regret it later.
    redmc, WC145, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.

Keep it .. You'll shoot it every now & again ; )
    H/D
    gasmitty likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Dont sell it , they are only going to go up imop ,, they have not been made in years and prob wont be again ..The PC9 will be around for a while ..

Yours runs right and you know about the few issues with them ie buffer etc so why would you sell it
    TSKnight and gasmitty like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I, too, hankered for a Marlin Camp carbine, and later, the Ruger PC9. Just never had the spare change when they were both in production. I was intrigued when the new Ruger came out, then I saw some being run in a big USPSA match, and I was sold. Picked one up at a good price in a Black Friday sale.

The Marlin is a sweet gun, but nowhere near as rugged and robust as the Ruger. I do like the Ruger but I think it's about a pound heavier than it needs to be, and the trigger on mine needs some work (although close enough to a 10/22 trigger that I'm comfortable working on it myself).

If your budget can only swing one gun, then I'd favor the Ruger, primarily for the reasons you cite. You can still get most parts for Ruger's 1949-vintage Standard Pistol, whereas Marlin is wondering who its daddy is these days. Otherwise, follow the advice in Post #2!
    +1

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    I hate tp throw a wrench into the 9mm carbine debate, but there is no beating a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm for price, reliability, fold up mobility, options for which mags you prefer, etc.. Never had a single issue with the Gen II Sub-2000. I did own a Marlin Camp 9 and enjoyed shooting it.

You say money is not an issue and "need" is not a deciding factor......in that case. there is no good reason to not have both. You don't need either and you can afford both....the internal debate should stop there.
    OldChap, TSKnight and Hoganbeg like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    I hate tp throw a wrench into the 9mm carbine debate, but there is no beating a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm for price, reliability, fold up mobility, options for which mags you prefer, etc.. Never had a single issue with the Gen II Sub-2000. I did own a Marlin Camp 9 and enjoyed shooting it...
    Love my 9mm SUB2000, but it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

You're correct about the price, reliability, mag options, etc., but the "fold up mobility" of the SUB2000 is its claim to fame. It falls way short in some other regards. The ergonomics are poor to the point that many of us bigger guys can't get a cheek weld on it. I can't use the sights on mine at all with earmuffs on. The controls are not nearly as intuitive as a Camp Carbine or the Ruger. Takedown can also be a bit tricky until you get the hang of it.

I love the foldup capability of the SUB2000, and its interchangeability of mags with my M&P 9, but if those features were not high on my priorities list, and money wasn't a consideration, I'd definitely go with one of the others. Heck, I'd probably just grab the Mini-14 or M1 Carbine rather than settling for a pistol caliber.

YMMV
    gasmitty likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    I hate tp throw a wrench into the 9mm carbine debate, but there is no beating a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm for price, reliability, fold up mobility, options for which mags you prefer, etc.. Never had a single issue with the Gen II Sub-2000. I did own a Marlin Camp 9 and enjoyed shooting it.

You say money is not an issue and "need" is not a deciding factor......in that case. there is no good reason to not have both. You don't need either and you can afford both....the internal debate should stop there.
    Remember though that the Sub 2000 is now not legal in NY state ....
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I had a Marlin Camp 9. Very accurate for a PCC, but very fragile especially when compared to a Ruger PC that is built like....a Ruger!
    gasmitty and TSKnight like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I had a Marlin Camp 9. Very accurate for a PCC, but very fragile especially when compared to a Ruger PC that is built like....a Ruger!
    Exactly correct.. If rugers are anything, they are typically tough and reliable.
    The Ruger Pc9 carbines have come down some in price.. I have seen them sell everywhere at $499, with a few as low as $469.. There are a few stores around here selling them at full list $599, but they can go scratch... if I know Ruger , i think there may be a "blowout clearance" before long when they do a redesign, or offer other calibers or something.. I have seen it happen several times, and maybe they will be a $369 gun at some point, and then I wouldn't feel bad about having both. In any case, are they selling a lot of the PC9 carbines these days, or is a 9 mm rifle still considered a "niche gun"?... bob
    5lima30ret and TSKnight like this.

I went for the Sub-2000...BUT...I had a completely different set of needs. The small size was first on the list, and 40 S&W was second. I put the sights from MCARBO on it which make a big difference. I also added the buffer tube rubber cover, the recoilless charging handle, and buffer. The gun was $320 plus a little over $100 for add-ons. I used a spare Red Dot sight on a quick release base. Works like a champ and takes about 10 seconds to unfold and move the sight from the bottom rail to the top.

I carry the gun in a computer bag that is equipped with a Level IIIA ballistic pad and Trauma Pad so that it can also be used as a shield. The 40 S&W, in the 16 inch barrel, gives it the energy of a 357 Magnum at the muzzle out at 50 yards, plus I can get Glock mags that hold 30+ rounds, just like the 9's. And the ultimate reason is I already have an AR-15 pistol in 9mm, so like others, I just don't need another 9.
    Kilowatt3 and TSKnight like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links