Henry's new side loading gate carbines, yes Henry - Page 2

Henry's new side loading gate carbines, yes Henry

This is a discussion on Henry's new side loading gate carbines, yes Henry within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Struckat The gate loading is better when you are about to be overrun by natives. What I don’t like is the 20” ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Henry's new side loading gate carbines, yes Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    The gate loading is better when you are about to be overrun by natives. What I don’t like is the 20” barrel. That makes it a NO for me.
    Last time I was overrun by natives, it was a tribe of preschoolers. Things got ugly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

On a recreational only type rifle the tube is ok, but if anyone has any ideations of fighting with s lever gun, the loading gate on the receiver is much more desirable.

This is enough to make me consider the Henry.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
    If they make an all weather stainless in 45-70 I'd be all over it. Other brands have Alaskan guide guns but Henry's action has always been so smooth. Ever since taking a friends 22 mag Henry golden boy I've wanted one but the tube feed was a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    They do make the all weather in45-70 with an 18” barrel. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I Don't need another gun.....I DON"T NEED ANOTHER GUN! I've wanted a Henry for a while, but no sidegate kind of kept me away.
    Do too need another gun !!! Just DO it @flintlock62
    montejames, flintlock62 and OD* like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Last time I was overrun by natives, it was a tribe of preschoolers. Things got ugly.
    and I have no doubt you lost.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    On a recreational only type rifle the tube is ok, but if anyone has any ideations of fighting with s lever gun, the loading gate on the receiver is much more desirable.

This is enough to make me consider the Henry.
    I hadda giggle at this, Glockman!!! The tubed rifle was developed as an improvement over the single shots they had, and a whole lotta players back in the day were thrilled to see them...both loading styles. We've come a ways since back then, but an ideation, it's not. A ride in the Wayback machine...maybe.

Amazing to think that in 1960, 100 years after the Henry was born, our sheriffs and state boys were still carrying them.
    Rock and Glock and MMinSC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Do too need another gun !!! Just DO it @flintlock62
    DO NOT!!! But I will most likely get one!
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

They do make the all weather in45-70 with an 18” barrel. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.
    Oh their tube fed only all weather is a beautiful looking beast. I havent even shot a 45-70 but if I'm gonna go big and classic then that's what I want. There's a company on Instagram making beautiful modernizations on the lever gun.

Sex

Doghandler likes this.

Would like one in a straight walled cartridge for legal deer hunting here in Iowa.

Drilled and tapped for a scope or Lyman style receiver peep sight, please. Heck, partridge or express sights would have been better than the traditional buckhorn. The buckhorn sight is fine if starving your eye from available light is a good thing.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    I hadda giggle at this, Glockman!!! The tubed rifle was developed as an improvement over the single shots they had, and a whole lotta players back in the day were thrilled to see them...both loading styles. We've come a ways since back then, but an ideation, it's not. A ride in the Wayback machine...maybe.

Amazing to think that in 1960, 100 years after the Henry was born, our sheriffs and state boys were still carrying them.
    The loading gate is a big improvement over the tube fed because it can be “ road loaded”, which is an old term for “ loaded on the go”.
    Its a huge advantage over the tube fed because the rifle need not be taken out of action or a fire ready condition to do. Shoot two or three, and load two or three as you go.

For me, the lever action is a very viable defensive rifle. And for many people in certain localities it may be an only option due to local law.

Nope, I wouldn’t feel a bit under gunned with a lever action rifle for self defense purposes.
    OD*, Snub44, flintlock62 and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    and I have no doubt you lost.
    I will only say there is strength in numbers.
    ColoradoDiablo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hopefully 41 mag will be in the works and maybe 35 Remington to keep my Model 8 company. Never liked the tube loading unless it was rimfire.
    OD* likes this.

Yes, I read that and will wait. Tube loading is not a deal breaker. I would have bought one of the all weather stainless, but I want a 16”. My son has a Big Boy 44, it’s nice but the 20” barrel detracts from the handiness.
    I would imagine the All Weather will be available as a carbine before too long. All of the other models (Big Boy, Color Case Hardened, Steel, etc) are available in both barrel lengths. With that second factory, Henry put out a lot of new models lately- Color Case, Long Ranger, Single Shot rifles and shotguns, lever shotgun, All Weather, etc, so I guess there could slow down some additional items like carbine versions. Who knows though. They have expanded their lineup immensely in the past four or so years.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Administrator
    Nice "read" & great pics.
    Made in America with American parts.
    Snub44 and flintlock62 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links