DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech

Thread: Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech

Tags:
  1. Smitty901's Avatar

    Smitty901 said:
    AIMPOINT Pro, how do you beat it. You can get smaller ones cooler looking but the AIMPOINT Pro works keeps working and takes a beating . And I can testify to the battery lasting 3 years.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell
     
  2. hardluk1's Avatar

    hardluk1 said:
    That's all fine for a short range optic so long as you can see well enough in low light so remember to add a gun light !!
     
  3. Big Western's Avatar

    Big Western said:
    For red dots I like Aimpoint first, then Trijicon, then Leupold.
     
  4. Bad Bob's Avatar

    Bad Bob said:
    I went a little different direction. I built 2 uppers in 40 S&W. The 8.5" is set up for HD, it really adds velocity to the already warm 155's. This is an old weaver K 2.5 with the center post reticle. Works good up close and allows easy hits out to 100 yards.


    Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech-img_20190507_202144796.jpg
    A man has got to know his limitations.
     
  5. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I went a little different direction. I built 2 uppers in 40 S&W. The 8.5" is set up for HD, it really adds velocity to the already warm 155's. This is an old weaver K 2.5 with the center post reticle. Works good up close and allows easy hits out to 100 yards.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190507_202144796.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	613.8 KB 
ID:	295000
    Hhmmm Bob, I think you may be on to something.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  6. donp326's Avatar

    donp326 said:
    Here is my Ar sight A Trigicon Acog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force
     
  7. Bad Bob's Avatar

    Bad Bob said:
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hhmmm Bob, I think you may be on to something.
    Well I have astigmatism in my right eye, it makes RDS's iffy at best. I shoot AR's and derivatives nose to charging handle. It is a simple, robust optic, my Dad used it on an 870 for deer hunting when I was a kid.
    A man has got to know his limitations.
     
  8. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Well I have astigmatism in my right eye, it makes RDS's iffy at best. I shoot AR's and derivatives nose to charging handle. It is a simple, robust optic, my Dad used it on an 870 for deer hunting when I was a kid.
    Same here. That’s why that red dot always looks anything but round shaped. I think your optics idea is great!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  9. TSKnight's Avatar

    TSKnight said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Well I have astigmatism in my right eye, it makes RDS's iffy at best. I shoot AR's and derivatives nose to charging handle. It is a simple, robust optic, my Dad used it on an 870 for deer hunting when I was a kid.
    I've had the same trouble with astigmatism that made red dots flair into comet tails.
    Then last year my eye sight changed and the correction was to add a prism to the lens. It corrected the blurred vision.
    Not sure why, but I found that the red dot on my shotgun wasn't a comet anymore. Since then I've taken advantage of it and added red dots to an AR and my G17 with very good results.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.
     
  10. Bad Bob's Avatar

    Bad Bob said:
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I've had the same trouble with astigmatism that made red dots flair into comet tails.
    Then last year my eye sight changed and the correction was to add a prism to the lens. It corrected the blurred vision.
    Not sure why, but I found that the red dot on my shotgun wasn't a comet anymore. Since then I've taken advantage of it and added red dots to an AR and my G17 with very good results.
    I normally shoot without corrective lenses, just shooting glasses as I cannot see my sights while wearing my glasses. I have not bit the bullet on progressive lenses.....
    A man has got to know his limitations.
     
  11. Chuck808's Avatar

    Chuck808 said:
    Now to expand on my previous post, that I have more time.

    The reason I say EO Tech is out for me for home defense, or any other optic that needs to be manipulated to turn on, is because in a crisis when youre groggy from a few hours of sleep and immediately go from a heart rate of 50 while sleeping to 180 when you hear your door being kicked in by multiple armed assailants, you might not remember to turn the optic on.

    If its a gun for a soldier or other type of use, where you will already have the gun out and be ready to use it, it will already be on. If youre a SWAT team guy, going to serve a warrant or something, you have all the time in the world to get suited up, check your optic is on, test your light, etc. If youre a soldier going out on patrol, youre in the same situation. Now if youre a patrol officer, it might be different. Say youre responding to a felony vehicle stop, and with no time to spare have to grab your rifle to hold the suspect at gun point. Would you want to turn it on? I wouldnt.

    So thats my reasoning why EO Tech can be ok for some uses and not ok for others.