Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech

This is a discussion on Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rifle: Daniel Defense M4V5. Choice of optics: Aimpolint Pro or Eotech 512. My choice (for now) Aimpoint I own both optics, and like both of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Self Defense Optics: Aimpoint vs Eotech

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar

Rifle: Daniel Defense M4V5.
    Choice of optics: Aimpolint Pro or Eotech 512.
    My choice (for now) Aimpoint

I own both optics, and like both of them. I will try and make this short. I have settled on the Aimpoint for purely practical reasons. With an effectively forever battery and "constant on" capability, the drill with the Aimpoint against the bad guy goes something like this: See bad guy, put dot on bad guy, pull trigger. With the Eotech, the drill is: see bad guy, fumble around for the buttons to turn the Eotech on, adjust the brightness of sight (maybe), put dot/reticle on bad guy, pull trigger if bad guy has kindly waited long enough for you to do so. Both scenarios are for very CQB situations, and I am not worrying about 100 yard plus shots. However, I have a three power magnifier that works quite well with either optic so that is not a factor. Thoughts?
    LimaCharlie and Old Man like this.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

If I were going to depend on an electronic sight, it would be the Aimpoint for the same reasons you stated.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Gaius, I too own both, with my first purchase being an Eotech for an AR15. I now own two Aimpoints, one on an MPX and one on an AR10. Definitely prefer the Aimpoint.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Between the 2..Aimpoint without a doubt.

Honestly I wouldn't touch an Eotech after how they handled they're recall/buyback. They actually did a good job on the buyback, buuuuuut it took a while for them to acknowledge there were problems.
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Don't own an Eotech, but have two Aimpoint Pro's that I really like.

The last 4 red dots I picked up were Holosun. One reflex and three red dots, all with the "shake awake" feature and at a price I can afford to have more than one.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I would choose the Aimpoint for the reasons you stated. I go by the KISS principle, keep it stupid simple. My close quarters home defense rifles have iron sights. My longer range rifles have Burris scopes with etched and lighted reticles. If the battery is dead, the etched black reticle still works.
    Old Man likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I have both, as well - EOT 512 and Aimpoint Micro T-1. Given a heads-up of imminent need, I'll take the EOTech. I really like the 65 MOA ring - I don't lose time looking for the dot, and the 1 MOA dot gives me better precision at distant targets than the 4 MOA on my Micro. But the AR in the bedroom closet wears the Aimpoint for the no-fumble, instant-on feature, as well as phenomenal battery life.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

For a home defense gun, it NEEDS to be on all the time. Period. Anything that isnít, is not something I would consider for home defense.
    Snub44 and Risasi like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have both, as well - EOT 512 and Aimpoint Micro T-1. Given a heads-up of imminent need, I'll take the EOTech. I really like the 65 MOA ring - I don't lose time looking for the dot, and the 1 MOA dot gives me better precision at distant targets than the 4 MOA on my Micro. But the AR in the bedroom closet wears the Aimpoint for the no-fumble, instant-on feature, as well as phenomenal battery life.
    I prefer the heads up display of the EO and the fact the 65MOA is much faster on close up work than the small dot, like you. I don't use either for gun for home defense.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Of course, I also run BUIS on every carbine I own.
    AzQkr, Gunnie, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Of course, I also run BUIS on every carbine I own.
    Here's what I run presently
    Attached Images  
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Here's what I run presently
    Nice!
    AzQkr likes this.

I run both on different rifles. A standard Eotech 512 is what I use on my working rifle. Itís held up just find to getting banged around in and out of the car on door frames and hard use at the range. My Aimpoint has held up just fine on my 16Ē 308 it was on my work rifle before that. However Iíve been really impressed with a Sig Romeo 5 and am thinking about standardizing with it as I like the auto off feature and the fact it comes on when picked up. Also 2032 batteries are about as common as AA and itís considerably lighter then the other two.
    flh and AzQkr like this.

I like the design of the EO tech far better than aimpoint. However, I wonít put one of their sites on my gun because they are not truthful about their products. I now use aimpoint and sig red dots.
    AzQkr and Chuck R. like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I run both on different rifles. A standard Eotech 512 is what I use on my working rifle. Itís held up just find to getting banged around in and out of the car on door frames and hard use at the range. My Aimpoint has held up just fine on my 16Ē 308 it was on my work rifle before that. However Iíve been really impressed with a Sig Romeo 5 and am thinking about standardizing with it as I like the auto off feature and the fact it comes on when picked up. Also 2032 batteries are about as common as AA and itís considerably lighter then the other two.

I did not know about the auto on feature when picked up , thankyou...
    Gunnie likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links