Longer-ranged rifle for defense? - Page 3

Longer-ranged rifle for defense?

This is a discussion on Longer-ranged rifle for defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dennis40x The 200Yd Bulls eye target standard NRA the 10-ring is 7in diameter and the X-Ring is 3in diameter, can't locate my ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: Longer-ranged rifle for defense?

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    The 200Yd Bulls eye target standard NRA the 10-ring is 7in diameter and the X-Ring is 3in diameter, can't locate my NRA booklet that gives the dimensions of the scoring rings at other distances. If you go online the National Target Company in their catalog should have the dimensions listed. As for Parris Island that's fifty-five years in the past if my memory services me correctly that was a mix of bullseye and humanoid shaped targets

Later on the Marine Corps introduced a qualification course I believe referred to as the X-Course all humanoid shaped targets ( head to waist, shoulder to waist angled, half shoulder width and full width head to knee) I only fired that course one time.

On the island I qualified Marksman, after Viet-Nam qualified Sharpshooter and finally Expert with the rifle with the 1911A1 I always qualified Expert.
    Sounds right. Heck, I can hit the broad side of a barn if it's within range.

Who wants to dig me a nice dirt berm and your shirt for a nice, fabric overlay, because artistic development . . .
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    For a 10th Mountain guy, I would think an M1 Garand would fit a lot of those rolls.
    Never fired an M1 Garand. My time was with the M16A1 and A2. Late 1991-1995.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

One thing I'm considering is that the housing is much more dense here than I'm used to. A rifle that can reach out to 500 + yards also opens up some negative possibilities if the shot misses or passes through. And they're building more homes seemingly on a daily basis...popping up like mushrooms.

That would have to be a consideration. Getting hits at distance on a known distance range is one thing. Getting hits at estimated distances, under stress, with "things you don't want to shoot" around is something else entirely.

No rush. Going to wait and see what the neighborhood ends up looking like when all the building is done. That will inform sight lines and the like.

Nice thing is I've already met a Navy vet and a currently serving sheriff deputy around the corner. So, we have at least a fire team in the area...lol
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nice thing is I've already met a Navy vet and a currently serving sheriff deputy around the corner. So, we have at least a fire team in the area...lol
    One more and you have a good forward team plus sniper/spotter overwatch.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

My last and best assessment of the situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xNft9MutQ
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

VIP Member
    Never fired an M1 Garand. My time was with the M16A1 and A2. Late 1991-1995.
    Just lost all credibility!

Just kidding, no but seriously hard to argue with 8 rounds of 30-06, plus it doesn't have a magazine sticking out the bottom so you can brace it off just about anything.
    bmcgilvray and OldChap like this.

Senior Moderator
    Because the enbloc clip is ejected with the last round, there is no empty box magazine to take time to remove. Simply insert the next clip of eight rounds, close the M1's bolt and yer off and runnin' again. Pretty fast. A high rate of aimed fire may thus be maintained.
    OldChap, airslot, SatCong and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Because the enbloc clip is ejected with the last round, there is no empty box magazine to take time to remove. Simply insert the next clip of eight rounds, close the M1's bolt and yer off and runnin' again. Pretty fast. A high rate of aimed fire may thus be maintained.
    Plus...you get to say, "I loaded a new CLIP into it" and be technically correct.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Sponsor
    Last time I fired past 500 yrds after boot camp in 69 was with a rack grade M1a, at 600 yrds in 2002. Some young buck who shot long range on a team for his club who had all the "proper" gear including shooting jacket, palm mitt, shooting matt using a custom M1a glass bedded challenged me to come up to his range on the north shore of Ma. and see what I could do with my M1a rack grade without all that gear.

He set up these rather large targets like we shot at at Parris Island in 69. Had to drive out to the 600 yrd line beside the range. Only one's there that morning. I knew my come ups and my 100 yrd zero, so I dialed rear aperture on the rifle to 600 yrds and we shot 10 rds each. Drove down to the targets, pulled them down into the butts behind the berm and all he has to say was "you beat me". All his and mine were centered hits, more of mine in the small center ring than his. I hadn't shot that far for 33 years. The difference was I was a professionally trained rifleman on an M14, he'd never been in the military let alone professionally trained on long range or that rifle specifically. Field positions, getting into them correctly, remembering NPA made the difference.

When I had the Ex's boy out here for a few years, I wouldn't let him use a dot or scope like his friends until he showed me he was a rifleman first. Then proceeded to work with him with the Marlin 39A I gave him in field positions from 50-100 yrds. In several 2 hour sessions he was able to hit bottle caps at 50 sitting and soups cans at a 100 prone with no effort at all.

One day he came to me and thanked me for making him a rifleman first. He'd just come back from shooting with his friends who were using scopes at 100 yrds on 10-22's and he'd kicked their butts with that iron sighted 39A from the bench. He understood rifleman first, then if you want to use a crutch like a scope, fine. 10 years later and when I talk to him he still mentions how making him a rifleman with irons was one of the best gifts I could have ever given him.

There are a lot of guys who can shoot fair long range with scopes, few who can get into field positions correctly and use irons to make their hits at long range.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    At GITMO In the Spring & part of the Summer of 1968 with 3Rd-BN 8th Marines, I was assigned to instruct Sailor's assigned to the Defense Battalion in the usage of the M1 Rifle. the majority of the rifles had been converted to 7.62 NATO with new barrels but there were rifles with chamber inserts thus to convert from 30 GOVT AKA 30-06. All the rifles had Nylon inserts in the End Block Clip well that would not allow 8Rd 30GOVT End Block Clips to be inserted. The rifles that had chamber inserts could be problematic, thus we observed those rifles carefully during the firing sequence. As a left-hander I was always careful while loading the M1 to avoid M1 THUMB!

One thing I'm considering is that the housing is much more dense here than I'm used to. A rifle that can reach out to 500 + yards also opens up some negative possibilities if the shot misses or passes through. And they're building more homes seemingly on a daily basis...popping up like mushrooms.

That would have to be a consideration. Getting hits at distance on a known distance range is one thing. Getting hits at estimated distances, under stress, with "things you don't want to shoot" around is something else entirely.

No rush. Going to wait and see what the neighborhood ends up looking like when all the building is done. That will inform sight lines and the like.

I limit my shots at game to under 300 yards, and don't compete at over 500 yards, But that doesn't stop me from taking a shot once in awhile "Just to see".
    I have tried it enough to know that I can easily make 300 yard shots with off the shelf new rifles and off the shelf ammo. But to make good predictable hits at 500 yards takes some improvements to rifle, sights, and ammo.
    I'm not saying don't try it. We all need to find out what is possible! DR

I was able to hold MOA at 600 yards with my M1A. My toy to play with now is a Rem 700 LR in 30.06. And I can hold under MOA at 1,300 yards with it.
    LimaCharlie, OldVet, OD* and 3 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    But look at all the time you lose getting your thumb out of the action!
    bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

We had an Ensign in Viet Nam who got his finger in the M-16 action during general quarters one night and put himself in for the purple heart. He didn't get it, unlike John Kerry.
    OD*, airslot, bmcgilvray and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But look at all the time you lose getting your thumb out of the action!

Oh, you don't lose any time at all getting your thumb out. You want it outa there right then!

The time is lost afterward while you take a break to dance around the firing line holding your thumb in agony and trying to staunch the blood flow.

Because I'm a notable nitwit, I've had not one, but two M1 thumbs in my lifetime. OOOooo... it's such a "cozy" feeling to find your thumb abruptly and unexpectedly all "snuggled" in there in front of the bolt.
    AzQkr, OD*, OldVet and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links