Longer-ranged rifle for defense?

This is a discussion on Longer-ranged rifle for defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that we're in Texas, the terrain is much different than when we were in the Land of Mu, where max visibility was 150 yards. ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: Longer-ranged rifle for defense?

Now that we're in Texas, the terrain is much different than when we were in the Land of Mu, where max visibility was 150 yards. While there are homes in all directions, the flat terrain here means that there are some sight lines that extend for quite a long way.

I have several options for the most likely scenario of short range defensive needs...pistols, a PC carbine, Mini 14, shotguns, etc. I'm considering selling some of those off, and adding a capability I don't really have...a rifle that can reach out to 500 yards or so.

Now, the odds of needing such a rifle would be very low. In the event of a threat at distance, taking cover and calling the calvary is the best option. Yet, the possibility exists.

As such, I wouldn't want to invest a lot into this. I'm thinking an inexpensive package bolt hunting rifle with a scope in .308 would suffice, maybe with the addition of a bipod. I would prefer iron backup sights and at least a 10 rd capacity, but that pushes you into the "scout" rifles that tend to cost quite a bit more. Maybe a scout rifle off the used rack?

A semi auto in .308 or similar would work too, but at the expense of cost and weight.

I do have a Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30. With the LeveRevolution ammo, it can reach out there with the right hold over. Might take a few ranging shots, but buying the right ammo is cheaper than a new gun.

And there is the option of mounting a scope on my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I know, it's not the most accurate option at distance, and I don't know I trust 5.56 at 500 yards, yet it should dissuade all but the most dedicated to try their luck elsewhere.

So...thoughts and suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I'm surrounded by corn and bean fields with clear shooting paths that can be measured in miles rather than yards. That said, I don't own anything specifically for long range HD/SD.
    Take this for what it's worth as it is just my opinion based on what I have tried at long distance. I purposely limit myself to 300 yards or less most of the time because I'm just not that good beyond that range. My current stable consists of .223 AR and Mini-14, .264 Win Mag, 30-30 in lever action and single shot.

I've taken coyote at a 1/4 mile (440yds) with .223, 22-250, 243, 264 Win Mag, and 110grn hand loads in my single shot 30-30. All of them did the job, but the 264 is by far the best at that range.
    .22 cal bullets are light and don't have much energy left at 4-500 yards. They work ok for varmint sized game, but for anything bigger they are not my first choice. Plan on possible follow up shots.
    .243 Rem is a great intermediate rifle, but still has the problem of retained energy much past 300 yards.
    .264 Win Mag was designed as a bean field rifle for thin skinned game (dear, varmints) and is very well suited to that job.
    30-30? It is not really a long distance rifle, but does well out to 200yds with the right loads. Will it reach 500 yards? Yea, so will .22lr, but I'm not going to consider either as a long range HD/SD round.

If I were going to get something specific for long distance HD/SD I think I would go with a .308 upper for an AR and mount some quality glass on it.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Get a good proper battel rifle . G3,FAL,M1A or a more classic option FN49 etc ..

Me I would go G3 or FAL .. Get a decent scope and there you go ... Plenty of reach out and touch but heavy 20+ round mags if things need to get ugly
    bmcgilvray and BigJon10125 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Remington 700 in 308 with Magpul Hunter stock plus Mag well and Bipod

It gets the job done, if I do my part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longer-ranged rifle for defense?-img_20180818_131153407.jpg  

G26Raven, AzQkr, Tstone and 8 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I think I would just keep what I had and not concern myself with sniping.
    But if it’s a must have, pick up a Ruger or Savage package deal for less than the price of a case of 45auto ammo and call it good.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think I would just keep what I had and not concern myself with sniping.
    But if it’s a must have, pick up a Ruger or Savage package deal for less than the price of a case of 45auto ammo and call it good.
    That was my first thought too, both can be had on the cheap and will get it done. I'm amazed how much rifle one can get in either for the price.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Food for thought. An NEF HandiRifle in .308.... I had one for years with a cheap Simmons 4x12 scope on it and I could out shoot my son's M1A1 anyday of the week. I'd shoot groundhogs out to 400 yards with it. Cheap, reliable and extremely accurate

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    That was my first thought too, both can be had on the cheap and will get it done. I'm amazed how much rifle one can get in either for the price.
    Yes, they have got the manufacturing of these things down to a science, producing rifles capable of regular MOA accuracy for a fraction of the cost.
    The package deal scopes are junk though.
    AzQkr, airslot, OD* and 6 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

It sounds like a .270 bolt action Savage or Ruger would fit the bill for you. .270 is very accurate, ammo is readily available anywhere, doesn't recoil too much and is more than capable of taking any game that walks in Texas (or most of the lower 48 for that matter.) When I lived in NM a .270 was my go-to for most all game. Just my .02 worth!
    airslot, 10thmtn, AzQkr and 7 others like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I’m with the others about trying to be a sniper. I deer hunt and have several long range rifles. I have never thought about them for defense. I have a AR15 in 5.56 or 223 that I would consider a defense rifle before I would my browning or Remington. The AR to me would be an all around defense rifle both close and far with right optics.
    OD*, 5lima30ret, hogdaddy and 2 others like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Distinguished Member
    My recruit training qualification was done with an M1. We shot at 300 and 500 yards. Setting good windage and elevation adjustments and using the peep sight made that rifle an excellent performer at 500 yards. But if I were to feel the need for a distance shooter today I would not go with the M1. Instead my analysis would lead me to select a bolt action scoped rifle. I figure that at 500 yards I am going to shoot vey selectively. First, it is so unlikely that I might face numerous invaders or animals in one incident as to not take it into consideration. Second, even if my first supposition is wrong, at 250 to 500 yards i am going into sniper mode. Whether human or otherwise at that distance I am going for a kill shot or a well placed warning shot. not for a fusillade to repel. So I see the scoped bolt action rifle as the best option. Caliber 30-06 or there about.
    Old Man and airslot like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Consider what you may try hitting at that range. If things get so bad a threat at 500 yards needs shooting it may require penetrating through a windshield or truck door; not something I'd trust to a 223.

A hunting rifle package deal on a flat shooting caliber used for medium sized game would also be my recommendation.

A good spotting scope with solid tripod should be part of plan too.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

For what you're describing, out to 500, I'd just trade the Mini-14 and get a decent M4gery and add a low power variable.

Up the bullet weights to 69 grainers and no one's going to laugh off at hit at 500 yards. At least that way you could get quality QD mounts and bounce back and forth between an RDS and the LPV. It would also be cheap to practice with. The carbine would see some use. An upper in 6.5 Grendel would extend the range quite a bit. If you don't want to go the AR route I'd second (3rd or 4th) just getting a deer rifle package and calling it good. The odds of ever using a rifle in the role you're looking at are extremely remote, so why put a lot of money against it?

I've got a couple precision rifles (.223, 6mm SLR & .300W) and none are really suitable for anything like an HD role. All go over 12 lbs fully outfitted. I've also still got a DSA Para-FAL that doesn't get shot much at all, even with reloading it's way more expensive than loading .223. I've also got a rack of deer rifles (cause I hunt). None of which I've really considered for any type of defensive roll. They could fill the roll in a pinch, but that's not their sole/only purpose.
    10thmtn, Bad Bob, airslot and 1 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    If I were starting from scratch, I'd look hard at Savage's 110 Scout. Light, compact, can easily be fitted to smaller frame shooters, such as the wife etc..

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...%5C+FDE+ACU+MB

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...scout-accufit/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    As I recall at Parris Island 200-300 & 500Yds were the distances for rifle qualification. With that said in the world of Walter Mitty, yes one can envision exchanging shots over long to extreme distances. What's the likelihood of occurrence?????? Yes under all things are possible but not likely. Do I shoot long distance, yes with a Remington 40X 7.62mm NATO ( So stamped on the barrel) with RPA (Think England) metallic sights with a front ladder sight for long distance range adjustment. Optics old school, Unertal (?spelling?)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links