What Was the Longest You've Taken to Build/Assemble an AR Rifle?

This is a discussion on What Was the Longest You've Taken to Build/Assemble an AR Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am taking a very slow approach to assembling my first AR-15. Basically, saving some cash over several months, doing some research on the different ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: What Was the Longest You've Taken to Build/Assemble an AR Rifle?

I am taking a very slow approach to assembling my first AR-15. Basically, saving some cash over several months, doing some research on the different brands and styles, then trying to purchase the components only when they are on sale, ie. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial Day, etc..
    Obviously, this will take a much longer time than buying a bunch of kits at once but it much easier on my bank account, flies under the wife's radar, and allows me to save up to get exactly the components I want ( BCG, barrel, handguard, optics). Plus, I am not in any rush. As far as I know, my health is pretty good. I expect it to take me over a year, if not a year and a half.
    So I was wondering what was the longest others have taken?
    Old Man and Rabbit212 like this.

I bought a stripped lower in Jan '16. It's now an almost complete lower, just needs a stock.

Not sure what upper it's going to get, leaning to a .223 Wylde from PSA.
    Old Man, OD* and AnthonyC like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

It took me about five minutes on the Alexander Arms website to select the options I wanted for my AR-15 in .50 Beowulf and then about two weeks for it to arrive at the LGS. All of the others were off the shelf at the LGS.
    scottync and Old Man like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

About an hour. I usually save up and buy the parts all at once.
    OldVet, sdprof, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I bought a stripped lower in Jan '16. It's now an almost complete lower, just needs a stock.

Not sure what upper it's going to get, leaning to a .223 Wylde from PSA.
    Whoa! That is a long time.

I am leaning towards a .223 Wylde barrel too, because...why not? Like I said I am not in a rush and would rather save until I can get what I want.

So far I picked up Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Lower Receiver about a year ago, then their M4E1 Enhanced upper receiver and now their Enhanced 15" M-Lok handguard.

I am thinking about a CMMG lower parts kit but I am still looking around.
    Old Man likes this.

I bought/ordered all the parts for a new lower for my Mongoose upper Saturday. UPS says the PSA parts kit should arrive today. If so, I expect the lower will be finished this evening.

Procrastination never gets things done in a hurry.
    Old Man likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post

I am leaning towards a .223 Wylde barrel too, because...why not? Like I said I am not in a rush and would rather save until I can get what I want.

So far I picked up Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Lower Receiver about a year ago, then their M4E1 Enhanced upper receiver and now their Enhanced 15" M-Lok handguard.

I used that LPK, without trigger. Got that separately. My build is an Anderson lower, Anderson buffer tube kit, the CMMG LPK, Magpul grip, unknown brand trigger.
    AnthonyC likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post

Sans the trigger unit, AR lower parts are AR lower parts. Get the cheap parts, spend extra on a good trigger. Most parts-kit triggers are "Meh." I bought a LaRue MBT-25 trigger for about $85 and it's much nicer than the Mil-Spec that came in my Armalite.
    MMinSC, Old Man and AnthonyC like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It takes me a good long while just to disassemble one for cleaning
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

With all due respect brother, the question isn't the longest time it took you to put together an AR, but how many AR's can you build in any given length of time.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I started mine 15 months ago. I am also down to the stock and then it will be shootable. It was supposed to arrive today but is now rescheduled for Friday after spending four days in Kansas without moving.

I now need a scope to complete it.
    Rabbit212 and AnthonyC like this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    S&W M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9
    Kel-Tec KSG - S&W M686+

I bought a couple of stripped lowers in 07 just in case CA banned them! They are still on the bench. One has a stock and both have triggers and lower parts installed. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I bought a couple of stripped lowers in 07 just in case CA banned them! They are still on the bench. One has a stock and both have triggers and lower parts installed. DR
    2007! I think we have a winner!
    Wow, kids born that year are now in middle school and can now hunt, Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone, the housing bubble was was starting to implode, there wasn't a lousy SAFE Act in NY, and Hickok45 put out his first YouTube video.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm does thinking of building an AR count?? If so it's been a couple of years for me. I did buy a wheelers builders kit earlier this year so I would say I'm almost done.
    Old Man likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

A few years.

I am not in a rush. When I am at PSA, I will buy a part or two and often wait for sales. These are not priority rifles and I am there buying other things. The PSA website does not have a lot of products, they mostly use that for high volume sale items, but their stores are jam packed with guns and parts. They buy closed grocery stores if that gives you an idea of the size.

The current one will be a full length chambered in .224 Valkyrie.

Last time, PSA had three pallets of their basic uppers sans BCG for something silly like $100. I do not need that at all but it was hard not to grab one. South Carolina must have a crazy number of AR15 rifles per capita as every gun friend I know seems to be always in the process of building one. Hard not to since you go there for something and then see various parts on sale and non PSA parts at very good prices.
    AnthonyC, OldVet and Old Man like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links