AR-15: Pistol? Rifle?

This is a discussion on AR-15: Pistol? Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Other than the barrel length, I don't see any difference between the rifle and the pistol. So my question is, what is it about the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: AR-15: Pistol? Rifle?

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar

Other than the barrel length, I don't see any difference between the rifle and the pistol. So my question is, what is it about the lower in an AR-15 that makes it a pistol rather than a rifle? And then, is the jig to finish an 80% lower pistol different than for the rifle?
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Nothing about the lower makes it a pistol or rifle. A pistol lower should be:

1) Bought and assembled for either a rifle or pistol upper. IIRC you can change the upper to a 16 inch barrel and back to a pistol length barreled upper, but a rifle should not be converted to an upper with a pistol length barrel. If that makes no sense to you, welcome to the rather large club.

2) A pistol should have one of the "brace" type stocks.

All AR lowers are all the same. The only different lower is the AR-10 version for .308 Winchester and other cartridges of that size. All AR lowers, except the 308 size, are machined exactly alike.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

So it's the upper that determines if its a rifle or a pistol?
    OldChap and Chicagobill like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    So it's the upper that determines if its a rifle or a pistol?
    Basically yes...however a pistol lower will never in it's lifetime have been "constructed" as a lower for a rifle. It must have been assembled initially (after casting or forging) as a pistol, and of course, it must have the brace style stock. Everything else is identical.

I always just buy and assemble a new stripped lower when I need a pistol AR.

And a quick example of where the problems lie. I just assembled an AR-10 (308 Winchester) lower for an 18 inch barreled rifle upper. If I put a .308 upper with a barrel less than 16 inches on it, I have created a short barreled rifle and it becomes a Class III weapon (SBR) and needs a tax stamp. If I originally had assembled it with a brace stock for a pistol application, I could swap an 18 inch barreled upper onto it and it would remain a pistol - albeit one with a very long barrel!

The fact that none of this makes any sense is just another excellent example of the lunacy our federal government has become.

The only difference between an AR rifle and pistol is the velocity of the bullet.
    OldChap and Chicagobill like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The only difference between an AR rifle and pistol is the velocity of the bullet.
    Yup. And if you choose a caliber like 300 Blackout, you get performance that equals and in some cases exceeds the rifle (carbine) velocity from a whole 8.5 inches of barrel.

My favorite AR is my Alexander Arms AR-15 rifle in .50 Beowulf.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

there are a lot of differences in the laws, however, when it comes down to it, a pistol can not have a stock, or a vertical handgrip(unless over 26” OAL or something like that), and must never have been transferred as a rifle. If you buy just a lower it will be transferred as “other” and you can do what you want with it. If you buy a pistol, you can change that back and forth to a rifle as much as you want, but if it’s transferred as a pistol it has to stay a pistol. So no, there is really no difference in the firearm itself and how it functions, but there is a huge difference when it comes to the laws surrounding them.
    Pete63, OldChap and Nmuskier like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a "pistol" lower cannot have a rifle stock. Yes/No?

Other than that, only how the receiver is registered (pistol or rifle) is the difference. All this stuff can be confusing and primarily the reason I don't indulge in AR pistols/SBRs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

@OldVet Yes that is correct. You can put a rifle stock on it, but it must evermore remain a rifle and can never be made into a pistol again. A stripped lower, is, as Havok said, transferred as neither pistol nor rifle. You can make it either one.

@Havok Brother...you said that so much better than I did!
    Pete63, Havok and Chicagobill like this.

In some states lowers have to be marked for pistol only or permited differently ( I think MI was at one point like this were you could put a AR pistol or bullpup on your pistol carry permit or something ) and I know CA is why there is so few legal AR pistols

In terms of the lower the others are right nothing difference in a stripped lower from a pistol to rifle ..It is the upper and how the other stuff makes it something elese .... Ie does it is have a under 16inch barrel does it have a VFG etc
    Pete63 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Clear as the Mississippi. Best to just stick to a 16" barrel and just call it a rifle.

Interesting side issue though. If its set up as a pistol, can it be use in any pistol competitions?
    Chicagobill and OldChap like this.

Clear as the Mississippi. Best to just stick to a 16" barrel and just call it a rifle.

Interesting side issue though. If its set up as a pistol, can it be use in any pistol competitions?
    I would doubt it. Pretty unfair.

I'm still wondering what CA has to do with so few legal AR pistols?

Put a pistol brace and a 10.5" barrel on it with a fresh build and its a pistol.

I use mine in rifle matches. No pistol matches that I know of.
    OldChap and Pete63 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I would doubt it. Pretty unfair.

I'm still wondering what CA has to do with so few legal AR pistols?
    There laws are different for OAL and pistol AWB verus rifle ... Ie harder esp now to make a legal AR pistol or any thing like that there like AK pistol etc ..Ie it has something to do with how guns are bought and recorded by the state
    Pete63 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links