Red Dot Magnifier Questions

This is a discussion on Red Dot Magnifier Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never used one, so here are the questions. Have you ever used a 3X magnifier on a Red Dot sight on a rifle? What ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Red Dot Magnifier Questions

I've never used one, so here are the questions.

Have you ever used a 3X magnifier on a Red Dot sight on a rifle?

What is your opinion? Was the magnifier worth it, or not?

Is the magnifier in the way when flipped down?

This is a consideration for an AR-10 (.308) with an 18 inch barrel.

Thanks in advance.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Iíve tried it. I much prefer the low power variable optic for multiple reasons:

1) Itís a more streamlined package, nothing hanging off the side of the rifle. I want to keep the rifle at the lowest power possible all the time, which would be the magnifier flipped to the side. With a LPVO, just keep it at 1x and nothing hangs off the rifle. Keep it at 1x because you can shoot something at 100 yards at 1x, but canít shoot something at 2 yards at 8x.

2) Much better eye relief and a larger exit pupil diameter than a magnifier. With the magnifiers you need to be right up on them, with your eye perfectly behind it. With a good LPVO scope, the eye box is huge.

3) You can get more magnification, easily 1-8x. 3x isnít much magnification, especially for a thing thatís crazy expensive, and has to hang off the side of your rifle.

4) A red dot is just a dot. With a LPVO with the ACSS or other modern reticle, it has provisions for ranging your target, holdovers, and wind calls built into the reticle. If you see a target at 650 yards, how do you know itís at 650 yards besides a pure guess? The number one reason for missing is incorrect range estimation.

Thanks brother. Excellent points.
    Chuck808 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Like Chuck808 I tried that setup and went with a LPV.

LPV:

Greater magnification
    Simpler setup
    Only 2 lenses, found this out the hard way during a class when it rained. Keeping 2 lenses clear sucks, keeping 4 clear sucks twice as bad.

I've shot both in classes and a LPV in 3GUn, I find the LPV just as fast. IMHO the only advantage an RDS has is in difficult shooting positions due to the lack of parallax, but you negate that with the magnifier. So now i go either or a RDS or a LPV, depending on use. IF I had to go with just one, I'd pick a LPV, it's just a more flexible option.
    homo homini lupus est

I agree with Chuck808 and Chuck R., I've tried them and found them less than satisfactory. The LPVO is a much better option.

For awhile I thought a 4X32 ACOG would be a great addition to my AR, but when I actually had the chance to try one I was underwhelmed...
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Sponsor
    Tried a high dollar magnifier on the Tavor with my eotech, took it off immediately. Not something I'd consider. I can whack steel plates the size of a mans chest with the eotech at 300 yrds, well beyond it's design parameters.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Well that didn't take long to get a well explained answer.

I've never understood the draw of magnifiers.
    Psalm 144:1

I appreciate all the good information. Think I'll pass on the magnifier. Oddly enough, I've never owned a LPVO. My shooting has always been at close range with red dots, or very, very long range with big scopes. The only variation from that was shooting High Power Service Rifle at 600 yards with irons.

Guns and accessories can be sort of like holsters. If you're not careful, you'll end up with a drawer full of junk!

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I appreciate all the good information. Think I'll pass on the magnifier. Oddly enough, I've never owned a LPVO. My shooting has always been at close range with red dots, or very, very long range with big scopes. The only variation from that was shooting High Power Service Rifle at 600 yards with irons.

Guns and accessories can be sort of like holsters. If you're not careful, you'll end up with a drawer full of junk!
    What sort of budget are you working with? Whatís your expected use of the gun/optic?
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.

I'm looking for this for my AR-10 (.308) which has an 18 inch barrel. I built it to eventually give to my grand-son-in-law. However, the only place around here where I can actually use a big scope is at the range. Any other use would be limited to maybe 100 yards at the outside. We live in the middle of the piney woods. I just have a good quality carry handle sight on it right now.

I guess this is not going to be a high dollar thing, so the best bargain LPVO would be perfect.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Iíve tried it. I much prefer the low power variable optic for multiple reasons:

1) Itís a more streamlined package, nothing hanging off the side of the rifle. I want to keep the rifle at the lowest power possible all the time, which would be the magnifier flipped to the side. With a LPVO, just keep it at 1x and nothing hangs off the rifle. Keep it at 1x because you can shoot something at 100 yards at 1x, but canít shoot something at 2 yards at 8x.

2) Much better eye relief and a larger exit pupil diameter than a magnifier. With the magnifiers you need to be right up on them, with your eye perfectly behind it. With a good LPVO scope, the eye box is huge.

3) You can get more magnification, easily 1-8x. 3x isnít much magnification, especially for a thing thatís crazy expensive, and has to hang off the side of your rifle.

4) A red dot is just a dot. With a LPVO with the ACSS or other modern reticle, it has provisions for ranging your target, holdovers, and wind calls built into the reticle. If you see a target at 650 yards, how do you know itís at 650 yards besides a pure guess? The number one reason for missing is incorrect range estimation.
    This.

In the next month or so I'll be moving my MRO over to a shorty .300 and getting a LVPO for my 16" Carbine.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I'm looking for this for my AR-10 (.308) which has an 18 inch barrel. I built it to eventually give to my grand-son-in-law. However, the only place around here where I can actually use a big scope is at the range. Any other use would be limited to maybe 100 yards at the outside. We live in the middle of the piney woods. I just have a good quality carry handle sight on it right now.

I guess this is not going to be a high dollar thing, so the best bargain LPVO would be perfect.
    This would be your best option for a budget LPVO setup for a 308. Should get you out to 600 yards no sweat.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...d-acss-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...ope-mount-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    This would be your best option for a budget LPVO setup for a 308. Should get you out to 600 yards no sweat.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...d-acss-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...ope-mount-30mm
    Thanks...I looked at that one. The price is kind of steep for a rifle I have $429 invested in though. I kind of expect the majority of it's life it will just sit on 1X too. That is a great optic though - maybe one day!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    I have an aimpoint magnifier and I will say this. Do not get one. it is so much cheaper to get a Variable Powered Optics (VPO)

Glass is much clearer and VPO's are down to 1 power all the way to 8 which latterly crushes every advantages a magnifier would give you. And for an xtra $30 you can buy a switcjview for the VPO which dials you from 1 power to whatever it is with just a throw of the lever. Absolutely NOT worth it.

With the new VPOs you have magnification advantage and weight advantage, absolutely not worth it to buy a magnifier for the money want for it.

Thanks...I looked at that one. The price is kind of steep for a rifle I have $429 invested in though. I kind of expect the majority of it's life it will just sit on 1X too. That is a great optic though - maybe one day!
    It seems like a lot, but it will give you much greater capability over one with a standard reticle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links