Mystery AR part?

Mystery AR part?

This is a discussion on Mystery AR part? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay all you AR experts out there, time to put on your thinking caps. I took my AR10 to the range this morning, and like ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Mystery AR part?

Mystery AR part?

Okay all you AR experts out there, time to put on your thinking caps. I took my AR10 to the range this morning, and like a good trooper, cleaned it when I got back from the range. I also installed the Limbsaver recoil pad I mentioned in another post this afternoon.

As I was straightening up the workbench, I happened to find the small rectangular shaped piece of metal with the hole in it. As you can see in relationship to this key set, it's pretty small.

I am thinking this came from factory trigger on the Barrett that I replaced in the last week, when I installed the Geissele trigger? I guess it's possible it could have come off my Sig P229 or my wife's P365, but both of those seem unlikely. Anyone out there recognize this part????

Mystery AR part?-mystery-part.jpg
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Isn't that the thing that goes up?
    M1911A1, G26Raven, baren and 1 others like this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Isn't that the thing that goes up?
    I think you mean the "shoulder thing that goes up"...
    Hoganbeg and baren like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

M1911A1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    It's a grapple!!!!
    Hoganbeg, MMinSC, M1911A1 and 5 others like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    It's a universal fully-semiautomatic converter. It works on pump, lever & bolt action too. Allowing fully-semiautomic bullets to work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    OldVet, MMinSC, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.

Well it's certainly not a standard part if it came off the AR. You mentioned changing out the trigger. Perhaps Barrett uses it as a spacer to center their trigger? Is the hole the same size as the trigger pin?
    Side note, Sig has a really cool setup for identifying and ordering parts. A quick look there says it's not from either pistol.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-parts-picker/
    Wish every manufacturer did that.

It also reminds me of a 1911 firing pin stop, or the recoil spring guide rod retainer in some 22s, but doesn't look like an exact match for any I've seen.
    G26Raven and matthew03 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a 1911 firing pin stop, slide side up.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

It isn't a factory AR part. The only thing I can conjure for an AR is a piece from an aftermarket set of handguards. Or possibly a non-standard stock. I've never seen anything like that on a factory gun.

Since it's steel I would guess a 1911 part, as @gasmitty says. It's been too many years since I pulled one down to that level to be sure.

Of course, it could be the "God nut" that holds the shooting range together! You're lucky the roof didn't fall on you.
    G26Raven, CLASS3NH and matthew03 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I have no idea what it is, but I'd bet by it not being in the gun you are now in violation of some unpublished BATFE regulation.
    M1911A1, G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I think I had one just like it and was puzzled for awhile until I found the directions. I think it came with a stock kit as was an optional part.

Edit: I went and looked in my AR parts bin. The part I have is not that one .
    Last edited by Spotsticker; August 9th, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think you may have solved a problem I had that I did not understand, but did not attend to. I do have a Colt Commander that I have had for awhile. I don't carry it as for me it is range gun.

The last time I took it out to the range, when I fired the pistol, the slide seemed to "hang" at the rear position unless I gave the pistol a bit of shake before it would return into battery. Could the fact that this part is not in position cause that problem????

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Smitty said..
    G26Raven and matthew03 like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It's a random part the Barrett folks throw in their trigger package just to mess with you! The game is called "What's This?" Play begins with a technician dropping some mysterious looking part onto the receiving counter. Then we wait to see how long it takes for one of the front office people to show up asking, "What's this? I think it fell out of someone's unit but I don't know which one." A really devilish version is to toss the part into the box being returned to the customer. It generates some interesting phone calls!
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I think you may have solved a problem I had that I did not understand, but did not attend to. I do have a Colt Commander that I have had for awhile. I don't carry it as for me it is range gun.

The last time I took it out to the range, when I fired the pistol, the slide seemed to "hang" at the rear position unless I gave the pistol a bit of shake before it would return into battery. Could the fact that this part is not in position cause that problem????
    Remove the FP stop and examine the firing pin and the FP spring for damage. The spring normally holds the FP rearward against the stop which keeps the stop in place, but broken parts could change that situation.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links