50 bmg Barrett - Page 2

50 bmg Barrett

This is a discussion on 50 bmg Barrett within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by flh Oh yes we offered him money for letting us shoot, he declined our offer. The rifle was a bolt gun . ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 50 bmg Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Oh yes we offered him money for letting us shoot, he declined our offer.
    The rifle was a bolt gun .
    650 grains a shot on semi auto is as fun as you think it is. Not like belt fed, but still a hoot. With the bi-pod up front and mono-pod on a beanbag in the back, and 27lbs of rifle, the cross hairs hold nice and still! 800m was a breeze. 1000m took some steady breathing, but was no harder than hitting the 400m with an M16.
    HotGuns, AzQkr, flh and 1 others like this.
    Psalm 144:1

I built a Maadi Griffin kit in the 80's With surplus ammo I could keep all shots on a 6' target at 1000 yds . When I started reloading with premium bullets the groups easily shrunk in half. After destroying the third scope, I traded it off.
    But it was fun to shoot! and everyone wanted to shoot it at least once! But it was a scope eater!
    AzQkr, flh, HotGuns and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I built a Maadi Griffin kit in the 80's With surplus ammo I could keep all shots on a 6' target at 1000 yds . When I started reloading with premium bullets the groups easily shrunk in half. After destroying the third scope, I traded it off.
    But it was fun to shoot! and everyone wanted to shoot it at least once! But it was a scope eater!
    Last one I bought in 2010, they recommended the leopold Mk4. Saw a video of just that scope on a 50 in slow mo, the tube flexed more than I'd ever have suspected. And that was what they recommended as something that could withstand the forces at work. Before that era, few scopes would have passed that testing of the Mk4.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Two of the scopes were steel Weavers from their El Paso days.they were supposed to be able to hold up to anything. If I had built another I would have built on a longer barrel and added more weight! The guy I sold it too built a 40 lb cradle to shoot it from. He still has it. DR
    flh and Rock and Glock like this.

Lead Moderator
    I went through 2 MK 3's and one MK 4.

At least they had lifetime guarantees. One lasted 7 rounds. One lasted around 30 or so. One lasted about 300 or so. The MK 4 I have on there now has a few thousand through it.

Heres a fact...

50 BMG's are hard on scopes.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    The weight sure keeps the recoil down :)
    flh likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

The local indoor range has one to rent, and when you do, you get one round. (I haven't shot it yet.)

When it is rented, the RO comes into the range and tells everyone to stop firing and step to the back of the room, and "be ready". Even doubled up with my earplugs and 26 NRR earcups, it is L-O-U-D.

What impresses me is that the range is maxed out at 30 yards. Must be one heck of a backstop. I've heard that a 50 can punch a hole in cinder block wall at over a mile.
    flh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    I have had the opportunity to shoot 2 different .50bmg rifles. The first was a Barrett bolt action with the big chevron type muzzle break on it and the recoil was not bad at all. The blast from the muzzle break was another story! The 2nd rifle I shot was somewhat of an odd rifle that was a single shot and used some thread on set up to close the chamber. Odd rifle, looking back on it I wonder how safe it was to shoot. Anyway, that thing had a bunch of felt recoil to it!

The day I shot the "odd" .50bmg I also got to shoot 2 variation of S&W 500 magnums! yeehaw! Great fun!
    flh and Nmuskier like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links