Best backpack / bugout gun?

This is a discussion on Best backpack / bugout gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've been looking to get a good compact rifle that's in a more affordable price range (400 or less) and so far I've narrowed ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best backpack / bugout gun?

So I've been looking to get a good compact rifle that's in a more affordable price range (400 or less) and so far I've narrowed it down to the Ruger 10-22 takedown and the Kel Tech sub 2k. I was wondering what you all thought of the guns, and what experiences or preferences you guys had for one or the other. I know the Kel tech is a good $100 more than the Ruger 10-22 takedown, and I was wondering if the 9mm capability and the compatibility with Glock mags made up for that, as well as the possible use as a home defense weapon.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I'm sure the Ruger 10/22 Takedown is a a decent rifle. But if you're considering .22lr, I'd suggest an AR-7/Henry Survival Rifle or whatever name they go by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    So I've been looking to get a good compact rifle that's in a more affordable price range (400 or less) and so far I've narrowed it down to the Ruger 10-22 takedown and the Kel Tech sub 2k. I was wondering what you all thought of the guns, and what experiences or preferences you guys had for one or the other. I know the Kel tech is a good $100 more than the Ruger 10-22 takedown, and I was wondering if the 9mm capability and the compatibility with Glock mags made up for that, as well as the possible use as a home defense weapon.
    Have both guns, the 10-22 is 5#'s empty, the KT 4#'s empty. The 10-22 breaks into two pieces and will take longer to assemble to a rifle than the KT that just folds. The 10-22, you can leave an optic on in either config, the KT, you can not leave an optic on when folded. The 10-22 probably has the better iron sights by a slight margin over the Gen 2 sub2K but not enough to be the final arbiter on choice.

I have my 10-22 takedown scoped with a bdc nikon which means I can take small game at longer distances without ruining meat. The KT has the energy advantage when the bullet strikes it's intended target downrange. The KT can be fired out to 150 yrds on a man with it's iron sights, the 10-22 .22lr round is not a 150 yard cartridge, thus the KT has more stand off range with more energy when it's delivered.

Which one to choose?

It depends
    5lima30ret and OD* like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You specified "Best backpack/bugout gun?"

So pardon me if I disagree with all of you. I don't think that either choice being discussed is "best."
    My own "backpack/bugout gun" is a just-over-16"-barrel takedown I built from a M1903A3, in .30-'06.
    That's best for me.

The barrelled action, including sights, separates from its glass-bedded, shortened stock by means of a single, strong, captive thumb-screw made from one '03A3 receiver screw. The rear tang of the '03A3 action has been modified to hook solidly into a much-modified M1 Carbine receiver-tang seat, secured by the other '03A3 screw. The magazine follower is kept from separating from the magazine by a quickly-removable cross-pin, which is pulled out as soon as the gun is back together.

Its two pieces fit into a Nylon-fabric case (which I also made) that's about 24" long. It weighs somewhat less than seven pounds.

(I'm having a lot of trouble inserting an image, so you'll just have to take my word for its practicality.)
    Last edited by M1911A1; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

If Iím bugging out the sh_t has hit the fan! Iím grabbing the my rifle from the gun safe or the one that I carry in the truck. Not worried about a small rifle at that time. My pack already has the pistol of choice and extra ammo.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Another excellent backpack rifle is the older Marlin Papoose take down. It is a FAR better rifle than the AR-7 IMO! I have never owned the 10-22 take down but I'm sure it would be a better choice as well. Something to think about for a back pack rifle is weight of ammo. It is much easier to carry 500 rds of .22 lr vs 500 rds of 9mm or 5.56. Just my .02 worth!
    AzQkr and dangerranger like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Who says you should just take one?

Best backpack / bugout gun?-20190510_224749-copy.jpg

It depends

Bugging out from where? To where? On foot? In a vehicle?

By yourself or with others?

Defense only? Or hunting too?

How long do you expect to be bugging out for?
    OD*, OneGunTX and M1911A1 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    What about a glock 19 and something like this? You'd have a handgun you could carry concealed if nessecary and a "rifle" you could hunt with. Plus the glock 19 is so common you could easily find parts/mags etc if needed even in a SHTF situation. You can put pop up sights or a red dot on it.

https://caagearup.com/product/mck-mi...it-stabilizer/

They make them for other gun manufacturers as well if you don't like glock.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Another excellent backpack rifle is the older Marlin Papoose take down. It is a FAR better rifle than the AR-7 IMO! I have never owned the 10-22 take down but I'm sure it would be a better choice as well. Something to think about for a back pack rifle is weight of ammo. It is much easier to carry 500 rds of .22 lr vs 500 rds of 9mm or 5.56. Just my .02 worth!
    Had one years ago, it was a great little rifle. I'd forgotten about that Papoose.
    5lima30ret and dangerranger like this.

The term "bugout" is used rather loosely. So, specifically, what situation or event are YOU thinking of that would require you to "bugout"? Civil War? Natural Disaster? Civil insurrection? Cory Booker elected POTUS? And does your load out change with the situation?
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    The term "bugout" is used rather loosely. So, specifically, what situation or event are YOU thinking of that would require you to "bugout"? Civil War? Natural Disaster? Civil insurrection? Cory Booker elected POTUS? And does your load out change with the situation?
    Quite literally just a small lightweight gun that can be put in a backpack and moved around easily, while still being able to handle the most possible outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    Quite literally just a small lightweight gun that can be put in a backpack and moved around easily, while still being able to handle the most possible outcomes.
    I have a Ruger takedown. I don't see that as being very good for personal defense.

Ruger 9mm PCC. Thatís my choice for backpack get home bag gun. If Iím bugging out from home then all bets are off Iím taking my M1A and a lot of mags. I donít care about how storeable it is since if Iím bugging out itís bad enough I want lots of firepower and handy right now. For a vehicle get me home to the rest of my stuff sure small portable concealed makes since.

ETA: Currently I use a Remington Mode 10 Riot gun as my truck gun. I have a relative who owns a PCC from ruger left the model 10 out since itís not exactly an available item today. Theyíve sadly gotten hard to come by.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links