Colt to stop long rifle production for civilians, retail sales.

This is a discussion on Colt to stop long rifle production for civilians, retail sales. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/ If so, Colt business strategy seems to be based on going bankrupt, again ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Colt to stop long rifle production for civilians, retail sales.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/

If so, Colt business strategy seems to be based on going bankrupt, again.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

When I worked in the scuba industry, we saw tremendous consolidation of the business as smaller companies were snapped up by larger ones. This happened in the late 1990s and accelerated from 2000-2010. This is not surprising in the firearms industry as the larger conglomerates snap up the smaller companies. I suspect we will continue to see this type of thing happening.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

Itís possible Colt found out they either need to drastically improve the value of their long guns relative to other makers, or face unsustainable financial losses.

If they canít compete, ceding that saturated market to others isnít a bad call, as long as they reinvest in other areas they can grow market share in.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Colt has been sliding downhill since it lost its military contract. Apparently its long-gun sales don't merit its expenses. The competition for ARs and components is stiff.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Itís possible Colt found out they either need to drastically improve the value of their long guns relative to other makers, or face unsustainable financial losses.

If they canít compete, ceding that saturated market to others isnít a bad call, as long as they reinvest in other areas they can grow market share in.
    But what area could they grow market share in? Their ARs were a gold standard. They are known for 1911s, but every manufacturer is making 1911s now, some better than Colt. They only seem to be expanding in DA revolvers. That will probably be somewhat successful, but I don't see it setting the house afire.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    I think that @graydude is right in saying:
    I think there is an obvious reason that he is on the right track. Cot is making Assault Rifles. This guns are being demonized, banned in some states, and under threat of a national ban. Then consider that AR type weapons are commonly available at lower prices tha Colt offers. Some people can afford the finest guns. Others, like me, cannot. If I were to buy an AR type rifle it would. not be a colt because of their prices compared t other suitable choices.

Add al that up and I would suggest that Colt made a good business decision. Now it can concentrate on handguns, the very items that made Colt famous and respected.
    graydude likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

OD*
    Senior Moderator

And then Tactical Applications Consulting & Training says:

September 11, 2019 at 14:44

Fake News Alert!

My contact at Colt (very high on the Colt food chain) confirmed they ARE NOT suspending them, but prioritizing international, Gov, and LE orders above commercial due to immediate demand.

Theyíre still shipping, but just a bit slower than usual.
    As with every rumor concerning Colt, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by OD*; September 12th, 2019 at 11:21 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I read that article on TTAG a few days ago. I guess it is not really a surprise.

I think Colt has four main problems, so are AR specific.

1. Massive competition in the AR market.
    2. Pricing. They are pretty expensive for the features.
    3. UAW- Colt has done nothing to escape from the unions. Just too hard to compete when other companies are manufacturing in the free states.
    4. Brand- I think Colt is a Boomer brand like Harley Davidson and has difficulty attracting the younger generations.

Now, I do not really agree with all of those points. I am a Gen Xer and really like Colt. Harley too. But the people younger than men are where those brands are struggling.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Colt AR's have always been expensive. Now that there will be no more made from them for the civilian market the remaining ones will skyrocket up in price.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.

Pretty sure this is fake news.

ETA: I see it has been confirmed now that it is. The interesting thing though is, them prioritizing military contracts is what got them in this financial situation to begin with.
    Chuck R., OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Pretty sure this is fake news.

ETA: I see it has been confirmed now that it is. The interesting thing though is, them prioritizing military contracts is what got them in this financial situation to begin with.
    Confirmed by whom?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Confirmed by whom?
    I was referring to your post. The TTAG article is the only thing I could find on the internet saying they were stopping sales. Nothing from Colt, or anyone else.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Gotcha!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Confirmed by whom?
    https://twitter.com/Guntalk/status/1171872018570076160

For one.....
    OD* likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Read my above post, (#7) I said "As with every rumor concerning Colt, I'll believe it when I see it."

I misread Havok's post, I thought he meant Colt stopping sales to civilian's had been confirmed. I didn't believe it to be true.

Just like Colt is out of business, which first took life in 1984.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links