The perfect travel long gun? - Page 2

The perfect travel long gun?

This is a discussion on The perfect travel long gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap No substantiation whatsoever save my 10 years with the police department. How many automobile burglary calls have you worked? You should ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: The perfect travel long gun?

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    No substantiation whatsoever save my 10 years with the police department. How many automobile burglary calls have you worked?

You should move to Atlanta and give it a whirl.
    I think it has more to do with where you live. Where I live if you broke into 10 cars I would expect to find 5 to 7 guns! 40 miles away in Fresno you would be a fool to leave anything in your car. DR
    OldChap likes this.

I know This is not what the Op was looking at, But I own several Handi Rifles. I like them because I can break them down to fit in a day pack.
    One of my favorite places to hunt coyotes, I have to park in a residential subdivision, start out hiking on a shared trail, and then about 3/4 of a mile out I cut off the trail and follow a fence line that separates cattle ranches from suburbs.
    Without a compact rifle I would probably loose my access point! DR
    OldChap and Risasi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    (Sigh)
    Some ladies like shoes and handbags, some ladies like...
    CWOUSCG, Risasi and Sister like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

For legal reasons, a rifle caliber pistol is popular in MI.
    1) Our concealed license is a "concealed pistol license".
    2) Any firearm within reach of an occupant of a vehicle is considered concealed. (see transportation: in the trunk, in a case, unloaded, etc.)
    Therefore, the only way to have a firearm loaded in a vehicle is for it to be a pistol, and to have your CPL.

I'm a big CZ fan. I think guns like the Scorpion are loads of fun, but not practical or the best option for my state. I'm not a fan of pistol caliber carbines either, unless it fits a legal niche. The scorpion doesn't add much besides capacity over most duty size pistols. If I'm adding that much size and intend to add the brace (which makes it that much bigger), I want the added energy of a rifle cartridge.

There are lots of reasons to like the AR pistols. For the range of intended use, the velocity is going to be fine. Alternate calibers like 300 Blackout make even more sense. I just can't get past the buffer tube on a pistol.

Recoil rod rifle caliber pistols make more sense to me because of the folding brace option (like the Scorpion ). The 7.62x39 variants are easy to find. That cartridge hits just fine at pistol length barrels and (relatively) short ranges. It isn't as sexy as the 300, and probably doesn't have as many loading options, but it costs less too.
    Sister likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

My concept of "perfect"; homebuilt .300 AAC, 9" barrel with a Maxim brace:

23" collapsed, fits in an elongated tennis racket case. Launches a 110 grn at 2175FPS. Not as loud as a short barreled .223, but still pretty easy to ring steel with it at 150-200. Doesn't reside in the truck, but goes on trips.
    OldChap, Chuck808, Sister and 1 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member

Perfect?

Do you travel with a long gun of some sort?
    Which gun would be "perfect" would depend on a lot of things. Where you're going, who you're with, what sort of vehicle you're in, etc.

The long gun I'm most likely to travel with is the SUB2000:

The perfect travel long gun?-sub2000-folded.jpg

Folded, it's only about 16" long, so it's easily stowed in a storage compartment in any of my vehicles. It shares 17-round mags with the M&P 9, and aftermarket 32-rounders are available (though I haven't tried one yet). I've just mounted an Osprey micro laser sight (which you can see in the pic if you look closely), which I think is a plus for this little carbine.

So, for MY purposes I think the SUB2000 is the "perfect" long gun for travel in terms of portability, concealability, and firepower. YMMV.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I’m not wearing some punisher skull shirt with 5.11 pants, holding a rifle case, having just got out of a car covered in gun stickers. Just wearing a pair of jeans, a striped T-shirt, and carrying the type of backpack you see most school kids wearing. Totally under the radar, just the way I like it.
    You would wear a striped T-shirt in public? You ARE a brave soul.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    That, the Scorpion, or the P90, all good options. Really nice thing about the P90 and a few similar options is the short muzzle past the trigger. Less reach is nice for maneuverability in small spaces, like hallways.
    OldChap and Sister like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I normally carry an Ak-47 with an under fold stock. It fits well between the center console and passenger seat. A 20 round mag saves some space.

The perfect travel long gun?-20190915_193315.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They get stolen out of cars here all the time. Local news is substantiation enough. Private cars, cop cars, you name it. It is not a good practice to leave guns in cars carelessly unsecured. Often the vehicle doors aren't even locked.
    Very true.
    OldChap likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Depends on where I'm going. Most times I don't grab anything beyond the Glock and/or the GP100. And I know this will sound crazy...but if I do take a long gun, I have more often than not tossed my 10/22 Sporter into the car. There is just something about the ability to toss a brick of cheap ammo in and only be out $30 or so if I do get a day at the range or something. I especially like it now since I put my Vortex 2-7x32 scope on it.

I zero'ed it out at a buddy's acreage a couple of months ago. I set it to 75 yards for the zero. It hits about 3/4 high at 50 yards with Mini-Mags and Velocitors, then since I have a BDC reticle I can kind of guesstimate what my holdover and Kentucky windage is. Here are a couple of targets just playing around. Sling support of course, leaning against a deck railing, 8-10mph cross wind:

The perfect travel long gun?-100_yard_1022.png

The perfect travel long gun?-50_yard_1022.png

Right now these are two of the three of my go-to rounds:

The perfect travel long gun?-cci_ftw.png

These new Quiet-22 Semi-Auto are spooky quiet, considering they actually cycle my 10/22. I'm getting them $3.99 a box. The Velocitors are everywhere again for $5.99 a box. Of course I'll also shoot Mini-Mags or bricks of stuff like Win Super-X for cheaper stuff.
    The Quiet-22 aren't as quiet as my old Super-Colibri's, but it's just a hair louder than Benjamin pellet rifles. Another friend and I were doing some firearm safety training with some kids at a church softball event a few weeks ago. After the kids were done we pulled out the 10/22 just for yucks with a couple older kids in their teens. We were about 100 yards and 150 yards on the other side of a house from the softball fields (out in the country on an acreage). The spooky part was nobody heard us running a few 10-rd mags of these Quiet-22 Semi-Auto through the rifle.

It's amazing what a $300 scope can turn a $300 rifle into. I think my next goal is to turn this into a takedown via the Archangel QBD stock, or I might be swapping it for a takedown model.
    Sister and BigJon10125 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    @Chuck808 ; Dude, do you know how much your post/thread just cost my husband?! :
    You let your husband think he has his own money?
    Risasi, Hoganbeg, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Depends on where I'm going. Most times I don't grab anything beyond the Glock and/or the GP100. And I know this will sound crazy...but if I do take a long gun, I have more often than not tossed my 10/22 Sporter into the car. There is just something about the ability to toss a brick of cheap ammo in and only be out $30 or so if I do get a day at the range or something. I especially like it now since I put my Vortex 2-7x32 scope on it.

I zero'ed it out at a buddy's acreage a couple of months ago. I set it to 75 yards for the zero. It hits about 3/4 high at 50 yards with Mini-Mags and Velocitors, then since I have a BDC reticle I can kind of guesstimate what my holdover and Kentucky windage is. Here are a couple of targets just playing around. Sling support of course, leaning against a deck railing, 8-10mph cross wind:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_yard_1022.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	301984

Name:	50_yard_1022.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	739.2 KB 
ID:	301986

Right now these are two of the three of my go-to rounds:

Name:	cci_ftw.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	301988

These new Quiet-22 Semi-Auto are spooky quiet, considering they actually cycle my 10/22. I'm getting them $3.99 a box. The Velocitors are everywhere again for $5.99 a box. Of course I'll also shoot Mini-Mags or bricks of stuff like Win Super-X for cheaper stuff.
    The Quiet-22 aren't as quiet as my old Super-Colibri's, but it's just a hair louder than Benjamin pellet rifles. Another friend and I were doing some firearm safety training with some kids at a church softball event a few weeks ago. After the kids were done we pulled out the 10/22 just for yucks with a couple older kids in their teens. We were about 100 yards and 150 yards on the other side of a house from the softball fields (out in the country on an acreage). The spooky part was nobody heard us running a few 10-rd mags of these Quiet-22 Semi-Auto through the rifle.

It's amazing what a $300 scope can turn a $300 rifle into. I think my next goal is to turn this into a takedown via the Archangel QBD stock, or I might be swapping it for a takedown model.
    I have a falling block rifle with a 28" barrel. When I shoot the Quiets from it all I hear is the hammer fall, and the bullet striking the target! it's much quieter than my pellet guns! My wife was on the front porch talking on the phone to her sister, while I was shooting ground squirrels off the lawn. When she hung up she asked what are you doing? That's when they became my go to ammo for around the house! DR
    Risasi likes this.

Around here there’s no breaking into vehicles. And yeah, the trucks are all carrying. We don’t need to lock ours except when we go “far afield”.

I’ve never been more relieved than when my daughter moved away from Decatur alive and uninjured.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Not really...everyone that i know, including me, has been leaving guns in vehicles for years and very few have been stolen. Personally, I have my guns affixed in a manner that no one is going to walk off with them. but most of the people that I know don't have the same but have still lost very few guns. This refrain is regurgitated repeatedly, without any substantiation. Untold numbers of guns are hauled around daily and a very, very small percentage are stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They get stolen out of cars here all the time. Local news is substantiation enough. Private cars, cop cars, you name it. It is not a good practice to leave guns in cars carelessly unsecured. Often the vehicle doors aren't even locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    No substantiation whatsoever save my 10 years with the police department. How many automobile burglary calls have you worked?

You should move to Atlanta and give it a whirl.
    Not being argumentative here, but I’ve wondered about this a lot. In reality, if you hide and lock a firearm in the trunk of a sedan and don’t have anything visible in the passenger area, how likely are you to first; be broken into; and second how likely will a handgun hidden in the trunk be stolen? I think not likely. I’ve not been broken into in over 50 years of driving.

Obviously, where you are parked, and what you do while exiting the vehicle (while possibly being observed by a potential thief) may have a bearing on the likelihood of a break in.

With respect, what am I missing?
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links