The perfect travel long gun?

This is a discussion on The perfect travel long gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I know technically itís a pistol because of dumb laws, but letís deal with reality here, not nonsensical ATF definitions. Anyway, I donít fly ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: The perfect travel long gun?

Ok, I know technically itís a pistol because of dumb laws, but letís deal with reality here, not nonsensical ATF definitions.

Anyway, I donít fly very often. At most, every couple of years. Usually, itís just a quick overnight trip, or a couple of nights, and I just drive, since its usually at most a few hours away. For instance, myself and some friends are driving from the Tampa Bay Area to Orlando for the night for a friends birthday. We will be doing the usual shenanigans out on the strip, and obviously while Iím partaking in some adult beverages, all firearms will be staying locked up back in the room. That being said, whenever I go more than an hour or so away from home, I like taking something with a bit more capability.

My usual EDC is a Ruger LCR. Love it. If there were rioting, mass unrest, or some other disaster that happened and I was away from my home, Iíd like to have something else that could get me through a situation if the need arises. I could take my 14.5Ē AR15, but itís still really long. A 20Ē barrel 590A1? Forget it. Add on top of that the weight of both of those types of guns and they are out.

I have a CZ Scorpion pistol that I bought a few years back and itís perfect for this. Bought it as a plain pistol, and have made some changes. Added a Tailhook brace so I can fire from the shoulder and make use of the sights. I chopped the 8Ē factory pistol barrel down to 4Ē and added a tri-lug adapter for my Omega 9k silencer. Added a Midwest 4Ē handguard. Changed a few other small things like a different grip, sing mount so I can run as a single point if need be, and there you have it. An incredibly small package that folds up even smaller, and has 30rds of 147gr Federal HST on tap, along with a spare mag in the backpack. As you can see in the photos, when itís folded, itís only a couple inches longer than a Glock 17.

In a regular, non-descript Jansport backpack, I can pack clothes for 2-3 days, all my toiletries, phone chargers, flashlight, etc. Everything that is needed for a few days on the road plus a pretty capable gun, and when Iím waking down the street on the way to the hotel, or standing in a hotel lobby doing check in, nobody thinks twice. If you pack the clothing between the gun and your back, itís actually quite comfortable to carry. Iím not wearing some punisher skull shirt with 5.11 pants, holding a rifle case, having just got out of a car covered in gun stickers. Just wearing a pair of jeans, a striped T-shirt, and carrying the type of backpack you see most school kids wearing. Totally under the radar, just the way I like it.

Do you travel with a long gun of some sort? I donít keep a gun in my car full time (and when I do, itís a small pistol that stays locked in a safe attached to the vehicle because I physically cannot take it with me any further), but as I said, I like to have a long gun when I do a small road trip. Whatís your pick?

380ACP, Sister, G26Raven and 9 others like this.

Sub 2000 would also be a good choice I think and cheep enough that if something happened it would not be a big hit to replace .. A UF AK would also be a great choice very heavy hard hitting firpower if needed
    Sister and Nmuskier like this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Nice Scorpion!

I actually do have a short EBR for trips also, but I donít have a carrying system like you do. I usually just put it in the suitcase, but I like the backpack idea.

(7.5Ē AR)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven, CWOUSCG, Sister and 4 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

@Chuck808 ;

Dude, do you know how much your post/thread just cost my husband?!

AWESOME!!! I gotta have one of those, we donít have one. Love it, weíre gonna need a bigger safe
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

(Sigh)
    Sister, OldChap, sammeow and 8 others like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Nice Scorpion!

I actually do have a short EBR for trips also, but I donít have a carrying system like you do. I usually just put it in the suitcase, but I like the backpack idea.

(7.5Ē AR)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Put one of these from Law Tactical and you can slip it into a backpack.

Name:  LTGEN3M_00.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  5.5 KB
    Sister, 380ACP and ddrew like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

Senior Moderator
    Easy peas-y. The M1 Carbine.

The regular one and not a folding stock M1A1 version. Lies in the floorboard of the back seats covered by a jacket or car blanket. May be reached by the driver, swung up and over the front seat headrests (though not as easy in the car we recently bought) and maneuvered within the car's interior. Don't really like temporarily abandoning it in the locked car while restroom breaks are undertaken after gassing up at travel stops or when dining at restaurants on interstates, but road trip personal defense is more complete with its presence so risks are weighed and taken.

A couple of years ago I got in the habit of leaving the M1 Carbine at home while making our regular trek from central Texas to Nashville, Tennessee that we make four or five times per year. Then we got caught in an unusually heavy freak traffic pattern on I-40 brought on by Hurricane Harvey's impact on I-10 to the south, along with the heavy rain event of Harvey's remnants passing over I-40 itself just east of Little Rock, Arkansas where we were traveling. Took a little over five hours to drive 2 1/2 miles. We sat boxed in an impassable traffic snarl in driving rain with no way to exit and no way to force an emergence exit across verges or ditches due to flooding or deep mud. People had exited vehicles and were milling around outside on the pavement in the heavy downpour and a couple of ugly scenes developed near our car. Vehicles aggressively tried to horn in on us in our spot in our lane on a couple of occasions. A Colt Delta Elite 10mm and spare magazine represented the "car gun" and we each had a snub .38 as well, but I was wishing for my Carbine and a couple of 15-round magazines that afternoon.

Was a situation that I hope to never experience again. The feeling of helplessness and not being in control of a situation that was deteriorating while not having any way out, even if push came to shove and the vehicle had to be used to shove another vehicle in order to escape. There was no place to go but to become mired in the mud with nitwits who had already tried to cheat the predicament and drive off of the road. Neither the fanciest Mercedes GLE 350 nor the brawniest Ford 3/4-ton Super Duty 4WD could defeat the mud. Not the two we saw try it anyway.

Mrs. BMc now expresses her profound gratitude each time we successfully pass the 193 exit at Hazen Arkansas.

I don't stow a gun in a car, however will have them on hand for travel.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; September 15th, 2019 at 09:36 AM.
    OldChap, OD*, ETXhiker and 6 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My congrats on the evil war gun appearance you have there. I give that a 10 our of 10.
    ETXhiker, airslot and Sister like this.

I suspect that is classified as a "short gun", not a "long gun". Never the less, my experience with law enforcement taught me that leaving ANYTHING of value in a vehicle when you're not within continual seeing distance is really just like giving stuff away. Take all guns out when you get out.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I suspect that is classified as a "short gun", not a "long gun". Never the less, my experience with law enforcement taught me that leaving ANYTHING of value in a vehicle when you're not within continual seeing distance is really just like giving stuff away. Take all guns out when you get out.
    Exactly. When I do have to leave a gun in the car, itís locked in a safe that is steel cable looped around the base of the seat, and the. The safe is hidden inside the center console. If I were to ever leave a long gun unsecured in the vehicle, it would be a beater $100 pump action 12ga that I wouldnít miss if it were stolen. That being said, Iíd rather not have an unsecured gun in the car at all. The likelihood of needing a long gun of some sort is infinitely lower than the likelihood of my car getting broken into.
    ETXhiker, OldChap and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Easy peas-y. The M1 Carbine.

The regular one and not a folding stock M1A1 version. Lies in the floorboard of the back seats covered by a jacket or car blanket. May be reached by the driver, swung up and over the front seat headrests (though not as easy in the car we recently bought) and maneuvered within the car's interior. Don't really like temporarily abandoning it in the locked car while restroom breaks are undertaken after gassing up at travel stops or when dining at restaurants on interstates, but road trip personal defense is more complete with its presence so risks are weighed and taken.

A couple of years ago I got in the habit of leaving the M1 Carbine at home while making our regular trek from central Texas to Nashville, Tennessee that we make four or five times per year. Then we got caught in unusually heavy freak traffic pattern on I-40 brought on by Hurricane Harvey's impact on I-10 to the south along with the heavy rain event of Harvey's remnants passing over I-40 itself just east of Little Rock, Arkansas where we were traveling. Took a little over five hours to drive 2 1/2 miles. We sat boxed in an impassable traffic snarl in driving rain with no way to exit and no way to force an emergence exit across verges or ditches due to flooding or deep mud. People had exited vehicles and were milling around outside on the pavement in the heavy downpour and a couple of ugly scenes developed near our car. Vehicles aggressively tried to horn in on us in our spot in our lane on a couple of occasions. A Colt Delta Elite 10mm and spare magazine represented the "car gun" and we each had a snub .38 as well, but I was wishing for my Carbine and a couple of 15-round magazines that afternoon.

Was a situation that I hope to never experience again. The feeling of helplessness and not being in control of a situation that was deteriorating while not having any way out, even if push came to shove and the vehicle had to be used to shove another vehicle in order to escape. There was no place to go but to become mired in the mud with nitwits who had already tried to cheat the predicament and drive off of the road. Neither the fanciest Mercedes GLE 350 nor the brawniest Ford 3/4-ton Super Duty 4WD could defeat the mud. Not the two we saw try it anyway.

Mrs. BMc now expresses her profound gratitude each time we successfully pass the 193 exit at Hazen Arkansas.

I don't stow a gun in a car, however will have them on hand for travel.
    Iíve never shot one of those before, but would love to. WW1 and WW2 guns are a huge interest of mine. Only problem, is that for a portable gun that I can stuff in a backpack and carry around when waking to a hotel, or a gun that I can keep with me when I havenít been to the hotel yet, and donít want to leave it unsecured in the car, itís way too big, even with a folding stock.

Another thing is the laws of traveling with a pistol is much simpler than a rifle, as all my nearby states let me travel with a concealed pistol, but Iím not sure of rifles.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Not really...everyone that i know, including me, has been leaving guns in vehicles for years and very few have been stolen. Personally, I have my guns affixed in a manner that no one is going to walk off with them. but most of the people that I know don't have the same but have still lost very few guns. This refrain is regurgitated repeatedly, without any substantiation. Untold numbers of guns are hauled around daily and a very, very small percentage are stolen.
    OldChap likes this.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

An AR in a guitar case works for me if I am driving. Inconspicuous when carried in to motel rooms or resorts
    Attachment 301882

If I fly , I take something thatís easier to replace that had some capacity like a G26.
    OD*, Shootnlead, OldChap and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Not really...everyone that i know, including me, has been leaving guns in vehicles for years and very few have been stolen. Personally, I have my guns affixed in a manner that no one is going to walk off with them. but most of the people that I know don't have the same but have still lost very few guns. This refrain is regurgitated repeatedly, without any substantiation. Untold numbers of guns are hauled around daily and a very, very small percentage are stolen.
    They get stolen out of cars here all the time. Local news is substantiation enough. Private cars, cop cars, you name it. It is not a good practice to leave guns in cars carelessly unsecured. Often the vehicle doors aren't even locked.
    OldChap, Instymp, airslot and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    No substantiation whatsoever save my 10 years with the police department. How many automobile burglary calls have you worked?

You should move to Atlanta and give it a whirl.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links