Given the statistics..

Given the statistics..

This is a discussion on Given the statistics.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why would anyone not want an AR for home defense? Thanks to all the publicity, almost any idiot can recognize one. And, you can just ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Given the statistics..

DG [OP]

Given the statistics..

Why would anyone not want an AR for home defense? Thanks to all the publicity, almost any idiot can recognize one. And, you can just wing someone and it turns into a fatal shot. (supposedly according to media)

Not talking about open carrying to Publix..

But, if the cat alerts you at 4 in the morning that someone is coming down the hallway, what constitutes a reasonable response?

"Well, your honor...he could have shot my client with a derringer. He didn't have to bring out an AR. That's overkill and my client's grieving widow should be compensated accordingly."

Distinguished Member
    What are the statistics you mentioned?
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

DG [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    What are the statistics you mentioned?
    Without going back and digging them up, although I can, the same statistics that folks use to argue why they should be banned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

DG [OP]
    But let's run with this story....

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ds-ncna1039571

Nix
    Anyone have records of how AR's were seen in a self-defense trial? Was the nature of the weapon prejudicial?

Probably varies from state to state. In this neck of the woods, lot's of guys have "Varmint guns" built on AR platforms. So picking one up for self-defense wouldn't seem unduly aggressive or militant......I'm guessing.

Me? I keep a shotgun handy. I've always liked shotguns. I grew up seeing police officers use shotguns for law enforcement and self-defense.
    TSKnight and Geezer like this.

But, if the cat alerts you at 4 in the morning that someone is coming down the hallway, what constitutes a reasonable response?

What ever response that ends the threat. If that be a rifle, shotgun, handgun or heck an RPG. Of course the wife will want a new home then. If they don’t want junior harmed or worse then teach him he is responsible for his actions.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    So according to this Mr. Diamond who wrote the article.
    Only those who served in the military have earned the right to handle an AR style rifle.
    I respect those who have served. But just because you have served doesn’t give you more constitutional rights than the rest of us. You should be honored and respected more than those who have not.
    As my father, a Navy vet used to tell me. Son, some of the most ignorant men I ever met were in the service.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    As my father, a Navy vet used to tell me. Son, some of the most ignorant men I ever met were in the service.
    I hate it when your Dad talks about me like that!

DG [OP]
    OK. It's none of your business or the governments why I think I need to have a particular gun. AR's seem to work, even in the hands of unskilled folks who happened to acquire one.

So far, they are legal. Beto wants to take them away.

If Beto is willing to come to my house and stand guard, I'll think about it. Otherwise, I honestly have more faith in my cat.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The article is just another example of hysterical anti gun mentality put to words/It proves nothing in regard to your OP in which you I imply that statistics back up your opinion.
    Why would anyone not want an AR for home defense? Thanks to all the publicity, almost any idiot can recognize one. And, you can just wing someone and it turns into a fatal shot. (supposedly according to media)
    When you ask "Why would anyone not want an AR for home defense?" I can only speak for myself. I have built my SD and HD around the pistol. I am very proficient with a pistol. I have not fired a rifle since 1968. I do not want to retrain on a weapon long out of my life. At my age I do not spend time on pursuits that eat up my time without good reason. I would never deny the increased lethality of an AR15 compared to any pistol in common use. I simply have one statistic that I rely upon. At a distance of up to 25 feet with my 9mm handgun I am going to stop an attack with three rounds. So I do not feel like a rifle offers any advantage in a home defense encounter because my 25 foot skill is going to do what needs to be done.
    a
    Nix and TSKnight like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Nix

AR's seem to work, even in the hands of unskilled folks who happened to acquire one.

That is funny right there!
    DG and OD* like this.

DG [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    The article is just another example of hysterical anti gun mentality put to words/It proves nothing in regard to your OP in which you I imply that statistics back up your opinion.

When you ask "Why would anyone not want an AR for home defense?" I can only speak for myself. I have built my SD and HD around the pistol. I am very proficient with a pistol. I have not fired a rifle since 1968. I do not want to retrain on a weapon long out of my life. At my age I do not spend time on pursuits that eat up my time without good reason. I would never deny the increased lethality of an AR15 compared to any pistol in common use. I simply have one statistic that I rely upon. At a distance of up to 25 feet with my 9mm handgun I am going to stop an attack with three rounds. So I do not feel like a rifle offers any advantage in a home defense encounter because my 25 foot skill is going to do what needs to be done.
    a

Good for you. Maybe, I'm a little less skillful.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Is that a guard cat?

the good thing about having dogs is that they'll alert you when a cat is walking through wet grass across the street at 4am.
    So you have plenty of time to set phasers on stun.

Lots of press on 3 or more bad guys entering a residence. Reloads take time I will take 30 over 15.
    OD* and Rockymonster like this.

I love stats. "60% of the time they work everytime." I'm sold.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links