Why does anyone need an AR15? - Page 2

Why does anyone need an AR15?

This is a discussion on Why does anyone need an AR15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I originally acquired the AR 15 simply to round out a collection of U. S. military issue long arms or else their commercial equivalents in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Why does anyone need an AR15?

Senior Moderator
    I originally acquired the AR 15 simply to round out a collection of U. S. military issue long arms or else their commercial equivalents in the case of the M1A and AR 15. I wanted one that resembled the "Vietnam look." Bought the used 1973 vintage Colt SP-1 I still have as it was close and was a "deal" at the time. Seems like it cost $425 after some negotiating at the old Fort Worth Convention Center gun show. This would have been in the late 1980s so that wasn't such a bargain.

Even bought an original Colt prong flash hider to replace the factory flash hider so as to complete the look, but never got around to installing it. Glad now I didn't.

Developed a stable of hand loads for it and shot it off the bench rest for fun. Shot a "reduced range" high-power match or two with it. For me it was a bust for the barrel flexed too much when I got into the sling for sitting and prone positions. The HBAR mitigated this, but I never obtained one. Mrs. BMc and both boys shot it in some high-power matches. It mostly sees plinking duty out in the country.

I'm not terrifically fond of the rifle, but its mine and "they" can't have it!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The only reason I bought an AR was Hillary said I couldn't have one. Didn't really need it as I had other firearms to protect the home front. I do kind of like the versatility of being able to swap uppers and make different firearms easily. I'd much rather shoot my 6 mm Mongoose rounds than any .223/5/56.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TimBob View Post
    We must never forget that either. Our rights are natural rights and come from our Creator, not from the government.

And the Bill of Rights exists to place limits upon our government! Which they promptly started circumventing

"Congress shall make no law..." But they do

"...shall not be infringed."and they have

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    We need to remind our representatives they are supposed to represent us not rule us.
    OldVet, RedSafety and sdprof like this.

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Let's see, totally modular, so you can make it exactly fit your wants and needs. Easy to shoot. Great for (as in effective and efficient at) taking down varmints, both 4 legged and 2 legged. In many states the miniscule .223/5.56 is acceptable to hunt deer. Easy to upgrade and repair without needing a gunsmith.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I have a couple of AR-15 high-power Poodle-shooters in 5.56X45mm NATO.
    bmcgilvray and CWOUSCG like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    WHY???. Because my S&W Mp15 is a Fun gun,and a Real long distance Tack Shooter that is increasing my experience in long range competition shooting. A New Hobby that requires new disciplines and more focus. .223/5.56 Rocks!. 1,000 yrds is my goal and it will take awhile but I`m enjoying the ride!.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    When we move to a house or the liberals come through on their threats of mass violence, I'll need one. If I take up hunting varmints, I'll need one. One that converts from .223Wylde to .410 Until then? Eh. Would be nice, but have other priorities at the moment, like a better bike.
    G26Raven likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links