Noreen Bad News .30-06 - Page 2

Noreen Bad News .30-06

This is a discussion on Noreen Bad News .30-06 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The primary difference between using a .308 versus a .30-06 is the -06 allows for heavier bullets whereas the .308 allows for a shorter action, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Noreen Bad News .30-06

The primary difference between using a .308 versus a .30-06 is the -06 allows for heavier bullets whereas the .308 allows for a shorter action, therefore a lighter one. Ballistic wise, they are very similar for most practical purposes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have always wanted an M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle in 7.62X63mm NATO.
    MMinSC, OldChap and Nix like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    That would be my dream gun purchase.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    The .308 is a great cartridge and one lives here in the form of an M1A. An entire stable of hand loads from mild to wild have been developed for it with chronograph testing abounding. I just like the grand ol .30-06. That's all there is to it. If the .30-06 hadn't been developed to this point then it'd still be a necessary addition to the cartridge family. Nothing else like it.

A selection from my reloading notes of velocity efforts which have also showed the required fine accuracy suitable for field use in bolt-action .30-06 rifles.

110 grain spitzer - Reloder11: 3440 fps, 2891 ft./lbs.
    150 grain spitzer - IMR 4350: 3029 fps, 3056 ft./lbs.
    165 grain spitzer boat tail - H414: 2811 fps, 2896 ft./lbs.
    180 grain spitzer - IMR 4831: 2769 fps, 3065 ft./lbs.
    220 grain round nose - IMR 4831: 2549 fps, 3175 ft./lbs.

24-inch barrel

All loads developed were at or slightly under maximum loads as published in recognized loading manuals*.

*Of bygone times rather than the more timorous current manuals
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Now, remember, there are some on this forum that will say that you don't know what you are talking about...if you say a "lesser" cartridge will do anything that a whiz bang cartridge will do, afield. THEY have no experience...but they will tell you quickly that YOU don't know what you are talking about.
    You're quite right. I didn't intend that post to sound anything like a "caliber war" so I apologize for that. I only meant that in my experience, what I said was true. During my time of shooting 1,000 yard bench matches, I started with a .308 but when they began moving targets beyond 1200 yards, I changed to a 300 Win Mag. That round could handle the VLD bullets used to keep everything supersonic out to the target.

I like the 06...I would love to have a Garand. As I said though, the AR's I have seen chambered for it didn't last long. I haven't owned one, so I don't know the verdict.

@Henry9008 The intended purpose is important. If you're looking at hunting that is one issue. If you're looking at just shooting for fun, that is another. A third would be bench rest and at what range. Still another would be defense. If purpose had no place in any conversation about guns, I would just carry a 22 Short and be done with it. With purpose in mind, you might get some good information rather than a rubber stamp for your idea.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @Henry9008 The intended purpose is important. If you're looking at hunting that is one issue. If you're looking at just shooting for fun, that is another. A third would be bench rest and at what range. Still another would be defense. If purpose had no place in any conversation about guns, I would just carry a 22 Short and be done with it. With purpose in mind, you might get some good information rather than a rubber stamp for your idea.
    Not looking for a rubber stamp, just information from people who have experience with Noreen firearms in general, or specifically the BN36X3 in .30-06.
    Never did I say that purpose was irrelevant in ANY gun conversation. But in the context of what I am looking for in THIS conversation, which is personal experience with the Noreen BN36X3 in .30-06, purpose IS irrelevant. Looking at other calibers is irrelevant, as well. I thought I stated those things clearly.

Look, if I said I was looking to buy a third car, and asked for make/model and trim level recommendations, asking me what I would be using the car for is a legitimate and necessary question. But if I am considering the purchase of a Camaro SS convertible, and I ask if anyone has ever considered a convertible, and what made them decide to buy one or not, and then asking that if they bought a Camaro SS convertible, what was their overall experience with the brand and dealer, purpose is irrelevant.

I might add, for clarification, that I am NOT interested in any other engine/drivetrain. I might add that I am not interested in any other brand.

With all that being said, in answer to your question about my intended purpose, the answer is yes, all of the above, at distances that are within the effective range of a .30-06 of a given bullet weight, and more.

Nix
    No experience, but it sure sounds interesting and fun. I love the 30-06, but have only used it in a hard-kickin' bolt gun. Incredibly versatile cartridge.
    Henry9008 and bmcgilvray like this.

This sounds like a very niche gun, and with its high price, I cannot imagine they sell many of them. I doubt you're going to get much personal feedback here, and quite frankly, with the tone of your posts, I doubt too many would be willing to help you much further.

I've been on gun forums for many years, and I've never heard of this maker, nor this gun. Maybe I live a sheltered life.

Good luck with it.

Edit - I checked out their website. Only a one year warranty. For that kind of money? No thanks. It's a boutique shop, and you could very well end up with an orphaned gun with no support if they go out of business.

But no, I have no personal experience with one...
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Thatís not a NATO round, and in fact thatís the standard BAR round (30-06). Iíll bet you meant to say 7.62x51. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links