Noreen Bad News .30-06

Noreen Bad News .30-06

This is a discussion on Noreen Bad News .30-06 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a few questions for the group. Noreen firearms makes a modified AR-10 in several calibers, one of which is .30-06. In my quest ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Noreen Bad News .30-06

Noreen Bad News .30-06

I have a few questions for the group.

Noreen firearms makes a modified AR-10 in several calibers, one of which is .30-06. In my quest to keep my caliber count down, the .308 and 7.62 NATO will not be considered, and since I already have a couple of .30-06 rifles, I have given thought to this platform. As the current owner of a pre-64 model 70 and an M1 Garand, and given the 20rd magazine it can handle, I think the BN3X3 rifle (not the carbine) might be a nice addition to the toolbox.

My questions to the group are:

1. Has anyone ever considered an AR style .30-06? If so, what made you decide for or against such a rifle?

2. Has anyone ever owned or fired any of Noreen's products, or do you know someone who does/has? What is your (or what was their) general impression of Noreen's quality and customer support based on your personal experience. (I have read reviews both for and against - I'm looking for actual personal experience.)

I know that for me, it's a bit pricey ($2250 - give or take ), so I plan to do all due-diligence before making a decision, but I'm also looking for others' experiences. Below is a picture of one.

Noreen Bad News .30-06-bn36x3.jpg

I have for sure ..The price is what has stopped me
    DownInTheDark and Henry9008 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

In order:

1) No never even thought about a 30-06 AR. For the price, you can almost get a nice bolt action 50 BMG upper.

2) No - I have never heard of them. I would want some strong recommendations before I even thought of dropping $2200 in their hands.

I knew a couple of guys who put together AR type 30-06's. They ended up not liking the combination. You'll need either a very, very effective muzzle break or a very, very thick recoil pad. My AR-10 (308) was bought from PSA and I have about $600 in it total. I already have a bolt 308, but the price was right.

For me, there is little reason to buy a 30-06 unless you're going to use if for hunting. Even then, the 308 will do anything the 06 will out to 800 yards. I don't know if you can deliver adequate shot placement beyond that for a humane kill.

On the other hand, my bolt 308 will perform as well as, or better than, a lot of 30-06's - even at 1,000 yards. I don't hunt anymore, so my AR-10 is only for defense.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Much of the promotion of the AR-15 was lightweight, low recoil. While recoil was the stuff of manly men back in my more youthful days, the thought of a lightweight .30-06 kicking my teeth loose is somewhat unappealing. Tried that concept once. Didn't take very many shots to believe bigger caliber firearms are heavier for a reason.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yikes! That price. I would rather buy three more Service grade M1s and some surplus ammo for that kind of money.

I do like the idea of more powerful ARs but I would rather keep them in the AR-15 size, like the 50 Beowulf for example. That 30.06 AR looks pretty big to me. Really, my M1 is about the same size as my AR15 with the stock extended. About. Heavier of course but that makes it shootable. The AR10 platform seems like t would make a big rifle but without the benefit of wood's weight to make the caliber easier to shoot.

For that kind of money, you could buy a .50 Beowulf and have cash leftover to help deal with adding an extra caliber.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

VIP Member
    Yeah.....don’t see a benefit that outweighs the cost. Rather spend those dollars on a different rifle.....
    Henry9008 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Honestly?

If I was going to a XXL chassis AR, I’d sooner get a Nemo OMEN in .300 WinMag over one in .30-06.

Bit more expensive, though...even the stripped down OMEN 210 makes my dream rifle—an HK MR762–look reasonable.
    OldChap and Henry9008 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I appreciate everyone's input. Let me add some clarifications/additional information.

1. Recoil. It is my understanding that, although this rifle weighs in at only 8 lbs, recoil isn't a significant issue because of the buffer and muzzle brake. I have watched videos of a guy doing a 3 magazine dump with it, and it didn't seem to kill him in the recoil department, although he is not me. I realize that watching a video and actually SHOOTING it can be two different things, which is why I'm looking for personal experiences.

2. Other calibers. As I said, I'm not looking to add another rifle caliber to my safe, so the .308 not even a consideration, regardless of how great and how close it is to .30-06 ballistics. As for large caliber AR15 - I have a .450 bushmaster, so I'm really not interested in a .50 Beowulf.

3. Additional M1's. Not really interested in buying 2 or 3 more M1's because they weigh 11 lbs each.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Honestly?

If I was going to a XXL chassis AR, I’d sooner get a Nemo OMEN in .300 WinMag over one in .30-06.

Bit more expensive, though...even the stripped down OMEN 210 makes my dream rifle—an HK MR762–look reasonable.
    That's an understatement. At that price, I'm over halfway to a .50 BMG ... but again, looking to stay with the .30-06 cartridge. Thank you, though!

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Yikes! That price. I would rather buy three more Service grade M1s and some surplus ammo for that kind of money.

I do like the idea of more powerful ARs but I would rather keep them in the AR-15 size, like the 50 Beowulf for example. That 30.06 AR looks pretty big to me. Really, my M1 is about the same size as my AR15 with the stock extended. About. Heavier of course but that makes it shootable. The AR10 platform seems like t would make a big rifle but without the benefit of wood's weight to make the caliber easier to shoot.

For that kind of money, you could buy a .50 Beowulf and have cash leftover to help deal with adding an extra caliber.
    My AR-10 has an 18 inch barrel, but otherwise it is just a bit heavier than a standard 5.56 model. I put a LimbSaver on the collapsible M4 buttstock. It really is pretty pleasant to shoot.

@Cuda66 I agree about the 300 Win Mag. That thing will remain supersonic to almost 1600 yards with the VLD bullets. Quite a step up from the 06.
    MMinSC likes this.

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. Let me add some clarifications/additional information.

1. Recoil. It is my understanding that, although this rifle weighs in at only 8 lbs, recoil isn't a significant issue because of the buffer and muzzle brake. I have watched videos of a guy doing a 3 magazine dump with it, and it didn't seem to kill him in the recoil department, although he is not me. I realize that watching a video and actually SHOOTING it can be two different things, which is why I'm looking for personal experiences.

2. Other calibers. As I said, I'm not looking to add another rifle caliber to my safe, so the .308 not even a consideration, regardless of how great and how close it is to .30-06 ballistics. As for large caliber AR15 - I have a .450 bushmaster, so I'm really not interested in a .50 Beowulf.

3. Additional M1's. Not really interested in buying 2 or 3 more M1's because they weigh 11 lbs each.
    It would help if you let us know what you intend to use the rifle for. I've been shooting for 66 years now. Trust me, an 8 pound 06 recoils significantly. You won't see it when you're shooting it. Get a video of the affected shoulder and the bruising the next day!

I think the best you can expect here is this: If you want it, buy it. After all, it's your money. But, that comes with a warning. Folks on this forum own almost everything under the sun. If no one comes along to give you personal experience with an AR in 30-06, there is probably a good reason. If there is, you'll find out soon enough.

Buy the 7.62X63mm NATO (.30-06 Springfield) Noreen rifle and get a good muzzle brake on it. My Anderson Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf has a great muzzle brake and felt recoil is less than my AR-10 or M1A in 7.62X51mm NATO.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    It would help if you let us know what you intend to use the rifle for.
    The intended use is irrelevant to the conversation. If I was asking for caliber / action recommendations, that would be pertinent information. What I asked for was if you had considered an AR style .30-06, why or why not. Your answer was in the negative and you made your reasoning abundantly clear. For that input, I thank you very much.

The other thing I was asking was for personal experience with either the firearm in question or the brand/manufacturer in general. I take it you have none, and so I thank you for that input as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Buy the 7.62X63mm NATO (.30-06 Springfield) Noreen rifle and get a good muzzle brake on it. My Anderson Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf has a great muzzle brake and felt recoil is less than my AR-10 or M1A in 7.62X51mm NATO.
    And I've noticed similar results with respect to my .450 Bushmaster as compared to my Marlin 1895 .45-70. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Even then, the 308 will do anything the 06 will out to 800 yards. I don't know if you can deliver adequate shot placement beyond that for a humane kill.
    Now, remember, there are some on this forum that will say that you don't know what you are talking about...if you say a "lesser" cartridge will do anything that a whiz bang cartridge will do, afield. THEY have no experience...but they will tell you quickly that YOU don't know what you are talking about.
    OldChap likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links