Help me decide on my next rifle setup.

This is a discussion on Help me decide on my next rifle setup. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a hankering for something new. I have a couple 16" rifles one of which is my 3-gun rifle that carries a Streamlight HL-X ...

View Poll Results: Spend my money!

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11.5" AR upper

3 30.00%
  • 14.7" AR upper

3 30.00%
  • Glock 19

4 40.00%
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By gnius
  • 2 Post By Havok
  • 2 Post By gnius
  • 4 Post By G-man*
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By ColoradoDiablo
  • 2 Post By retired badge 1
  • 1 Post By tns0038
  • 2 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Help me decide on my next rifle setup.

I have a hankering for something new.

I have a couple 16" rifles one of which is my 3-gun rifle that carries a Streamlight HL-X and an LPVO, and the other is a plain S&W M&P15 that I have set up for HD with a light and RDS.
    I have a 10.5 that sports an SBA3 that I love but that's a bit short for comfort. I'm considering getting either an 11.5 or a pinned/welded 14.7 upper. I already have a PDW brace lower that I got awhile ago that I'd probably shift the 10.5 onto to make an SBA3 11.5 setup.
    Alternatively I could get the 14.7 but I'd likely have to get a new lower for it, or decide if I want to shift that to be my game rifle.

The other alternative is to get a Glock 19 (don't have one, was in love with PPQs, and carry a P365 now) or another handgun.

I've been waffling for weeks.
    Havok likes this.

Are your current guns 5.56? Have you thought about getting one in another caliber?

How about you get a Glock 19 and a 9mm AR that takes glock mags?

I have an 11.5” 5.56 and I like it though
    JAG45 and Nmuskier like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Are your current guns 5.56? Have you thought about getting one in another caliber?

How about you get a Glock 19 and a 9mm AR that takes glock mags?
    Yes, all of my ARs are 5.56 so far.

Should have included that in the poll - I have been thinking of making a 9mm AR setup. Awhile ago I thought of getting an 8" 9mm upper, and a Stern Defense 5.56 to 9mm conversion block... but if I'm going to get a glock AR, I should probably have at least one Glock handgun.
    I have also thought of getting another 380, particularly the Shield EZ since they're on sale now, which I can leave in my home office in a rapid access safe since my wife works from home.
    Havok and OldChap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have 3 calibers of AR pistols:

300 Blackout - 8.5 inch
    9mm - 10.5 inch and 4 inch
    5.56 - 10.5 inch

I listed them in order of favorites, but really they are all different tools for different jobs.

One of my 9mm ARs is a dedicated lower that uses Colt SMG mags, the other is a really useful setup for these folks:

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm

It lets you use stock AR PMags for 9mm and you can swap back to 5.56 in about two minutes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Marlin 1895 GBL in 44 mag or 45-70 sounds like a proper rifle to me.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

When in doubt-pick a Glock-makes one heck of a defensive firearm.
    THE CROW

Do you have a shotgun?
    tns0038 likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I am doing a 14.5" build with a pinned and welded flash hider but I am changing it up to being a carbine with mid-length gas instead. My Colts are all carbine length gas.
    Havok likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Since you like ARs so much, you should look at the 'Lego' pistols- the Sig p320 compact and Xcompact. The aftermarket is really going to grow to serve that modularity.

But we're also living in a time of a temporary glut of AR stuff, and that over supply is why prices are currently very low- all that could go away in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Do you have a shotgun?
    I've got a 590A1 that I think will serve fine. I'm not into shotgun hunting.

Nothing listed that I would choose. I have 50 years of experience with M16/AR15 type rifles, but I do not find them significantly useful for any purpose (especially the shorter-barreled variants, generally providing reduced accuracy, frequently questionable reliability, always excessive muzzle blast and flash).

If the purpose is hunting the choice is dictated by the type of game, usual ranges, and overall abilities of the shooter. If the purpose is personal defense the choice will be based on methods of carrying and deployment (what works well in a vehicle, what works well for manual carry, what works well in an urban environment, what works well in a rural area, all of these may dictate different choices).

At home I keep a 12-gauge pump shotgun with 21" barrel handy. On a road trip I frequently take the shotgun, sometimes adding a .30 caliber M1 Carbine. Most of my big game hunting has been done with a .30-06. Most of my small game hunting has been done with a good .22 rifle. During my 24 years as a cop I usually had a shotgun and a M1 Carbine in the vehicle.

Only times I regularly carried a AR-type rifle was during my two tours in Vietnam (we were given no choice in the selection), but I got my hands on a M14 at the first opportunity. Although I qualified as "expert" with the M16 I never felt nearly as confident with one than I felt with the M14.
    LimaCharlie and tns0038 like this.

none of those interest me

I'd buy ammo

Now that I am retired, we travel a good bit in an RV.

I always bring along a 30-30 for the "what if". Great for hunting, if the need should happen, and it will take a man down quick. Further, you don't have to worry about some "squirrel" in one of those left states going bonkers over you having an AR hidden in the camper.
    G-man* likes this.

This really needs a none of the above or a option to just buy the wife a gift with the cash.
    LimaCharlie and Rockymonster like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

I don't see the 1.5" benefit of going through the cost and hassle of a true 14.5" barrel, and less benefit of an extended, welded muzzle device.

11.5" 5.56 SBR is fun and still at the bottom end for velocity for hd. That velocity is a very gray area. I happen to be a fan of +14" in 5.56.

10.5" can be pistol length, and carries legal benefits in my state. Plus less cost and hassle than SBR, but also less options. If you go pistol OAL, might as well look into different calibers. 5.56 is really losing the velocity that makes it appealing.
    Psalm 144:1

Sponsored Links