At what distance do you zero your AR? - Page 5

At what distance do you zero your AR?

This is a discussion on At what distance do you zero your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 50 m for the M4, but 200 for the service rifle match beast. For the former, that'll cover "neighborhood" needs. From the latter, I know ...

View Poll Results: At what distance do you zero your AR?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 25 yards

11 17.19%
  • 50 yards

33 51.56%
  • 100 yards

13 20.31%
  • 200 yards

2 3.13%
  • Other?

5 7.81%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: At what distance do you zero your AR?

50 m for the M4, but 200 for the service rifle match beast. For the former, that'll cover "neighborhood" needs. From the latter, I know click-counts for other ranges.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    50. Perfect range for shooting onions stuck on top of a target stick.
    Do you zero at 100 for pumpkins
    G26Raven likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I zero most of my ARs at 100 yards. One hundred yards is the "apex" of the trajectory. That is, 100 yards is the high point of the trajectory. That means that you will never have to hold UNDER, always over. It's confusing to have to remember whether you need to hold over or under if you zero at other ranges. With a 100 yard zero, at worst you'll be the scope height low at the muzzle. For example, the centerline of my scopes are 2.75" above the centerline of the bore. So if I put the muzzle on the bullseye, I'll be 2.75" low. At 25 yards I'll only be 1.6" low;' at 50 yards I'll be about 0.75" low.

At close ranges, those holds are less critical than trying to remember hold overs/hold unders for different ranges, and at longer ranges, if that applies, it just gets more difficult to keep it all together.
    G26Raven likes this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Recently I switched my AR-15 from an Eotech red dot to an Aimpoint T2. I've read any number of different recommendations regarding what distance to use for your zero. It seems to me that most people recommend zeroing at 50 yards. I understand the rationale for that, but when I went to try to do it the other day, the red dot covered almost 3/4 of the target I was using, which has an 8 inch diameter. My results were all on target, but obviously not what I would achieve with a magnified optic.

My next trip to the range, I figure I will end up zeroing at 25 yards, which while it won't give me the 200 yard range I would achieve with a 50 yard zero, it will take me out to 300 yards. I have a chronograph and the Ballistic app so I can figure this out exactly, but I am curious as to what other people are doing these days.
    You know what we need? And I've said this for sometime now - transparent red dots. That means you can see through the dot. I would envision a brightness control plus an "opacity" control that sets how much of the target can be seen through the red dot. That way if the dot is bigger than the target, you could adjust the opacity until you could see the target through the dot and center the dot over the target.

Do I have to think of everything!
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You know what we need? And I've said this for sometime now - transparent red dots. That means you can see through the dot. I would envision a brightness control plus an "opacity" control that sets how much of the target can be seen through the red dot. That way if the dot is bigger than the target, you could adjust the opacity until you could see the target through the dot and center the dot over the target.

Do I have to think of everything!
    Yes, you have to think of everything!
    Tangle and airslot like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links