Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun? - Page 3

Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun?

This is a discussion on Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ G26Raven cough up and get the M4. Before I left the land of the living for the land of the old and infirm, we ...

View Poll Results: Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a tactical shotgun?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely have a pistol grip.

15 24.19%
  • No, I would not have a pistol grip.

34 54.84%
  • Maybe.

7 11.29%
  • It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

6 9.68%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun?

Distinguished Member
    @G26Raven cough up and get the M4. Before I left the land of the living for the land of the old and infirm, we were transitioning away from pump shotguns to Benelli's. The M4 has some advantages with the collapsible stock and pistol grip in addition to its operating mechanism. The collapsible stock makes shouldering with body armor a lot easier and overall handling better in confined quarters and vehicles. Also, the pistol grip makes control easier for some, particularly smaller stature persons. Hrumph, sort of like the M16 vs. M4?

In my current life I'm doing just fine with my M870 Police.

Name:  Benelli M4 Tactical.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  8.9 KBGiven a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun?-benelli-m4-exploded-diagram.pngName:  Benelli M4 female shooter.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  14.6 KB
    Last edited by Old Man; November 7th, 2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling
    MMinSC, Rooster, G26Raven and 3 others like this.

No. never saw any need to mess up a shotgun. A pistol grip destroys a shotguns "pointability". My bird gun gets a barrel change and becomes my bear gun or HD gun at times.
    G26Raven and M1911A1 like this.

One other thing to consider is shotguns with a pistol grip don't fit in most cases and if you use a sling to carry it the pistol grip will hit you in the ribs! I vote no!
    G26Raven and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm a no for pistol gripped shotguns. For me I think its from growing up shooting traditional stocked long guns that just make them feel more natural. I have an AR and an AK and don't shoot them much. I enjoy shooting my SKS rifles and even the mini 14 I think mostly due to the more familiar feel.
    I love the tang mounted safeties on the mossbergs, but putting a pistol gripped stock on total defeats the advantage of the tang safety. If I were to buy a shotgun with a pistol gripped stock it would be one with a crossbolt type safety
    G26Raven, M1911A1 and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    @G26Raven cough up and get the M4.
    Cough, cough!
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't use any. One of the main reasons is the placement of the safety on top of the receiver. You cannot operate it on a pistol grip without removing a hand from the gun.
    This is one of the biggest reasons I got rid of the aftermarket pistol grip on my Mossberg 500. And generally I didn't see any benefit to it. I replaced the pistol grip setup with the Magpul SGA stock, although I don't know if they make it for the 930.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.

Not a fan, I have tried them and do not prefer them.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Cough, cough!
    C
    o
    u
    g
    h

c
    o
    u
    g
    h
    !

Just sayin'.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    This is one of the biggest reasons I got rid of the aftermarket pistol grip on my Mossberg 500. And generally I didn't see any benefit to it. I replaced the pistol grip setup with the Magpul SGA stock, although I don't know if they make it for the 930.
    The 930 is way different. Part of the recoil mechanism is in the stock (think AR-15 buffer tube) so replacement stocks are virtually non-existent. The ones that are out there don't seem to get very good reviews, reliability-wise, plus they are quite expensive. I use Hogue 12 inch LOP stock kits on pump shotguns.

Now if only Mossberg would work up a shorter LOP stock, it might sell. As it is, I just run the 930 with the factory stock.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I tried one on a 12 ga. and sold it. Didn't feel right to me. Current home defense shotguns don't have a pistol grip.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

The 930 is way different. Part of the recoil mechanism is in the stock (think AR-15 buffer tube) so replacement stocks are virtually non-existent. The ones that are out there don't seem to get very good reviews, reliability-wise, plus they are quite expensive. I use Hogue 12 inch LOP stock kits on pump shotguns.

Now if only Mossberg would work up a shorter LOP stock, it might sell. As it is, I just run the 930 with the factory stock.
    The more I read and research the 930, the more I am impressed. I watched Hickok 45's review this morning and took note how it ate everything he threw at it. It seems like an outstanding deal for the money.
    OldChap and darbo like this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

The more I read and research the 930, the more I am impressed. I watched Hickok 45's review this morning and took note how it ate everything he threw at it. It seems like an outstanding deal for the money.
    In my humble opinion, it is. I let my friend, who is a Benelli nut, shoot it and he said, "I like this as much as my M4, and it costs about 1/2 as much." We also have noted that it handles anything: from very, very light Cowboy Action loads all the way up to the most powerful stuff we could find. All the ladies in my family say it is by far the softest shooting shotgun I own.

This is the model I have:

Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun?-930-spx-shotgun.jpg
    G26Raven, darbo and Pete63 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

In my humble opinion, it is. I let my friend, who is a Benelli nut, shoot it and he said, "I like this as much as my M4, and it costs about 1/2 as much." We also have noted that it handles anything: from very, very light Cowboy Action loads all the way up to the most powerful stuff we could find. All the ladies in my family say it is by far the softest shooting shotgun I own.
    That's all good news. I especially appreciate the insights on the opinions of the female persuasion since my wife needs to be able to shoot this, too.
    OldChap and bmcgilvray like this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I have the Mossberg 930 SPX.

I bought it on sale with the pistol grip stock. The Mossbergs safety is located on the top back of the receiver which means with the pistol grip stock you have to take your hand off of the pistol grip stock to work the safety. For that reason I replaced the pistol grip stock

Other shotguns that have the safety located on the trigger assembly work just fine with a pistol grip stock.

Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a shotgun?-82c41203-d8f4-4e19-8352-347085c6104d.png

As I continue to research shotguns for home defense, one of the questions I have is, is it worth having a pistol grip on a tactical shotgun for home defense. So far, I have not come up with a definitive answer for having a pistol grip on a shotgun. Does it help reduce recoil (which I think is a good thing)? Does it make the weapon more accurate? Is it a good idea or a gimmick? What are your thoughts on this?

I've taken one tactical shotgun class which was pretty short (half a day). I hunt birds with a Benelli M2 Field.

Shotguns on my list at this point are the Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical, the new IWI Tavor, and if I win the lottery, the Benelli M4.

Attachment 305906

Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical
    G26Raven and bmcgilvray like this.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I like a full shotgun stock with pistol grip, and it's a shame the stock company SpeedFeed appears to have ceased under the ownership of their new corporate masters. Speedfeed's IV-s was almost perfect in every way.

The pistol grip full stock allows for more control so one can reload while it's shouldered, and it allows the hand to stay in a ready position across a wider spectrum of carry/positional scenarios. But ideally, one would still use a good padded sling for all day comfort (tactical shotgun class, EOTWAWKI). Some might say it's like having a pistol grip on an AR-15- imagine an AR-15 without the pistol grip.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links