What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun? - Page 3

What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

This is a discussion on What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Light and side saddle. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk...

View Poll Results: What accessories do you have mounted on your home defense shotgun?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot optic

2 4.00%
  • Weapon mounted light

24 48.00%
  • Sling

19 38.00%
  • Side saddle shell (ammo) holder

31 62.00%
  • Magazine tube extension

17 34.00%
  • Barrel clamp

5 10.00%
  • Other

14 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

JD
    Administrator
    Light and side saddle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    For home defense only scenarios if I need more than the 8+1 capacity of 12 gauge I must be fighting some Marvel Super Villain and I need to get out of dodge quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    My HD shotgun is a double barrel 12 ga. The only accessory is a 5 round ammo sleeve on the butt stock.
    That's a faster reload than a pump. Also a faster follow up 2nd shot.
    G26Raven and Texas Red like this.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately my wife objected to a shotgun in the closet and it's back in the safe. When it was in the closet, I had a Mossberg 500 20 GA. with wood furniture, an 18 1/2" open choke barrel and a magazine tube clamp with an LED light attached. It remains in that configuration in the safe along with the rifles. Now, it is only removed from the safe when it gets recruited for some upland hunting. When it is, I remove the light and change the barrel to a field barrel. With it and the rifles in the safe, I rely on the M&P with an attached light in an inconspicuously mounted security box, or my CCW on the bedside table for home security. Hopefully I'll find a way to secure it close by that the wife will not object to.
    5lima30ret and G26Raven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Only shotgun I have left is a Remington 870 'Sportsman 12' model, about 40 years old now. Plain walnut stock, matte finish, 12 Ga. 3" chamber, 21" vent-rib barrel with Rem-Choke system. I added a sling years ago because I like having a sling in the field.

Around the house it is kept with a full magazine of 2-3/4" heavy field loads of BB-shot (roughly 90 pellets of .17-.18 caliber lead balls), chamber empty, action cocked, safety engaged, Improved choke tube. To deploy the shotgun requires hitting the slide release, racking the slide to chamber a round, releasing the safety (faster to do than to explain, and 50 years experience with the 870 makes it next to automatic for me). No need to worry about penetrating multiple frame walls. Longest distance inside my home is less than 40 feet, so I doubt that the recipient would notice much difference between 1-1/4 oz. of BB-shot and an equal dose of 00-buck.

YMMV
    The 870 doesn't have a slide release. I'm not sure what you're referring to?

As far a shell choice. Yes, at HD ranges, the shot could still be in the wad. But bird shot is still very different than 00 buck, even at 20'. Birdshot, even at extremely close range is proven less effective than buckshot. One doesn't need 00. #2-#4 are passable too.
    Psalm 144:1

Different configurations over the years. This is where I've landed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?-p1100956-w-.jpg  

G26Raven likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    Different configurations over the years. This is where I've landed:
    The only thing your missing is a bayonet
    G26Raven likes this.

sgb
    My 870 has a 20" SLUG barrel, 7 shot mag tube w/clamp, Choate pistol grip stock and a AR style safety lever. However it was regulated to secondary status decades ago, I keep it cleaned, lubed & loaded ............ but only because it has a sentimental attachment.
    G26Raven likes this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Plain old Mossberg 500C 20 ga.
    When it comes to shotguns, with SD ammo, even a .410 is a good home defense weapon.. bob
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    The 870 doesn't have a slide release. I'm not sure what you're referring to?

As far a shell choice. Yes, at HD ranges, the shot could still be in the wad. But bird shot is still very different than 00 buck, even at 20'. Birdshot, even at extremely close range is proven less effective than buckshot. One doesn't need 00. #2-#4 are passable too.
    The Remington 870 most definitely does have a slide release, located just forward of the trigger guard. That is how you unlock the action when in the cocked position in order to clear the weapon or chamber a round.

50 years experience with the 870, about the last thing I need is a lecture from some puppy know-it-all on an internet forum.

Your ammunition choices are your ammunition choices, and mine are mine. After you have been in a couple of gunfights maybe you can enlighten me with your deductions.
    con42 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Mossberg 590 Synthetic 12ga, mounted light, side saddle, sling, and top rail, loaded with #4 buck. Side-saddle has 12ga slugs for reload (because if I need more than 7+1....) I find the sling aids in retaining control of the weapon if hands are needed.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    The Remington 870 most definitely does have a slide release, located just forward of the trigger guard. That is how you unlock the action when in the cocked position in order to clear the weapon or chamber a round.

50 years experience with the 870, about the last thing I need is a lecture from some puppy know-it-all on an internet forum.

Your ammunition choices are your ammunition choices, and mine are mine. After you have been in a couple of gunfights maybe you can enlighten me with your deductions.

VIP Member
    Remington 870 Express. Comes stock with the mag extension.
    What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?-zbo6wtj.jpg
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    That's a faster reload than a pump. Also a faster follow up 2nd shot.
    Very true.

But, in all honesty, I can't see a scenario where I'd need more than the first two shots.

Still, I like having those extra slugs and buckshot handy.

Just in case.
    G26Raven and Nmuskier like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

KelTec KSG-25, one tube with (12) 2 3/4 slugs, the other (and chamber) with (12+1) 00 2 3/4 shells. Streamlight Protech HL on the right tube.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links