What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun? - Page 5

What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

This is a discussion on What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Mossberg 500 with a tritium front sight, magpul fore end with a light mounted, side saddle carrier and sling....

View Poll Results: What accessories do you have mounted on your home defense shotgun?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot optic

5 7.25%
  • Weapon mounted light

28 40.58%
  • Sling

25 36.23%
  • Side saddle shell (ammo) holder

36 52.17%
  • Magazine tube extension

26 37.68%
  • Barrel clamp

6 8.70%
  • Other

21 30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

I have a Mossberg 500 with a tritium front sight, magpul fore end with a light mounted, side saddle carrier and sling.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

A H&R Pardner 12ga pump, a knockoff of an 870. All oem
    G26Raven likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Pheasants engraved on the side. Probably not the most useful accessory for HD. I think my other one has ducks on it.

The shotgun I really want is a Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde. Then I can have a bayonet.
    Holmes375, OD*, G26Raven and 3 others like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Pheasants engraved on the side. Probably not the most useful accessory for HD. I think my other one has ducks on it.

The shotgun I really want is a Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde. Then I can have a bayonet.
    You do not have the right tacticool attitude!
    MMinSC, OD* and Rock and Glock like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    You do not have the right tacticool attitude!
    I could draw a beard and Oakley sunglasses on the duck if you want.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Mine is a 590A1 Marinecote with a light mounted, 18.5 inch barrel six shot. Ought to do the trick if needed.
    Rock and Glock and G26Raven like this.

Went from a Remington 870 (still in the closet, in reserve) to a Beretta 1301T. Pretty much a stock gun, with a sling and a sidesaddle shell hoder. Standard includes a 5-shot mag, ghost ring sights, etc. A nice little social shotgun.
    Holmes375, G26Raven and OD* like this.

On my home defense shotgun I have NO sights. Sound strange? For most it would be but at in such close quarters I don't need sights as I was trained by the US Army in Quick Kill Technique and it works!

Rutland's Instinct Shooting

G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    My shotguns are for grouse and turkey hunting, so they are as they came out of the box. One, the 20ga, is loaded with #4 buck, but is not the primary.
    I am not going to drag a long gun in and out of the safe every day. And if things get so ugly that I need to get to a long gun, I will pick a short long one in 6.8mm.
    Like @Struckat , my shotguns are for hunting. Turkey, goose, duck, quail, pheasant, and dove. If I have to pull out a long gun, I have a few shotguns to decide from, from a light 410 double to a (very) heavy double 10. Also a couple carbines. None are tactical. Eventually, I may get something tactical for home defense. Maybe. I really like my blued steel and wood.
    Struckat and G26Raven like this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    One of my M2 Benelli shotguns, which was my duty shotgun during the last part of my policin’ career, has been equipped with a left-handed GG&G mounting point for a single-point sling, but I do not use a single-point sling for HD purposes. I have occasionally fastened a two-point sling to its factory attachments points, and there were times this sling left in place, for extended periods of time, but this was not specifically for HD purposes. This M2 started life as a Field model, with a vent-rib barrel. I added an 18.5” “tactical” barrel, with rifle sights, when it became my duty shotgun.

My more-recently-acquired Benelli M2 Tactical shotgun has an extended magazine tube and ghost-ring-style sights, in its factory configuration.

Once upon a time, I had a Surefire Weaponlight fore end, with integral light, on a personally-owned duty Remington 870, probably my Marine Magnum, until the command staff decided to prohibit lights mounted on any weapon we would use for duty or defense, on or off the clock. (Yes, many police departments move BACKWARDS, cracking-down on innovation.) Just yesterday, 2+ years after retirement, I received a new Surefire Weaponlight fore end, in the mail, and installed it on my 870P, which was my duty shotgun before I transitioned to Benelli for that purpose. I immediately noticed how HEAVIER this weapon had become! One of the reasons I transitioned to Benelli autos was because my pumping arm’s shoulder had become gimpy, with age, so, I may not be using this particular shotgun, as a weapon of choice, for HD. My wife’s shotgun, also an 870, has an older, smaller, less-heavier Surefire Weaponlight fore-end, so she, at least, now has another choice, with identical handling qualities. (Actually, her Weaponlight is probably Laser Products brand, the former name of what became Surefire.)

This 870P has a single-point sling mount, and a Magpul stock, but I have never kept a single-point sling on the weapon. (As with the Benelli, mentioned above, the single-point sling capability met a prerequisite for my employer’s “tactical shotgun” training class, though in actual practice, it was not actually necessary to use a single-point sling, during the class.)

If moving about, within a structure, a sling can catch on things, but, a sling can allow one to free one’s hands, while retaining some degree of retention of the weapon. A mixed blessing. Be careful, whichever choice one makes.

I am not a fan of side-saddle ammo carriers. I tried one in the early Nineties, on an HK-era Benelli M1 Super 90, and it impeded the cycling of the action. That gun had a long extension on the mag tube, in its pre-AWB configuration, anyway, so truly running out of ammo would have been unlikely.

I think that I may have tried a side-saddle on my first duty shotgun, in the Eighties, a Howa-made S&W near-clone of the 870. I never really liked the way the balance of the weapon was affected.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.

I have: clamp, light, sling on mine.
    While attacks often happen at times of low natural light, they don't seem to happen in times of low light in the area of the attack - your attacker isn't likely running around with a surefire (or NVGs) alongside his stolen hipoint, he's mugging you in a mostly-empty, well-lit parking lot at 2AM because nobody else is around to notice.
    Clamp: in place because long drops can cause serious damage to mag extensions, and this one mounts a light just in case one is needed.
    Light: So I can properly ID whoever it is I run across. I have no teenage daughters that might be inviting strange young men to sneak in at night, but stupid drunken neighbors blitzed past the point of literacy could happen. If this $100 Steamlight light saves me thousands of dollars in legal bills because an idiot neighbor with 4 liters of vodka in his system kicks in my door thinking it's his, it's more than paid for itself. Also useful in case of injury as a signalling device.
    Sling: Because its most likely use is as a hunting gun, which I will sling when climbing barriers or skinning/prepping game.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links