What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

This is a discussion on What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My research on putting together a home defense shotgun "system" also includes the accessories that might be mounted on it. I know a side saddle ...

View Poll Results: What accessories do you have mounted on your home defense shotgun?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot optic

2 3.85%
  • Weapon mounted light

24 46.15%
  • Sling

20 38.46%
  • Side saddle shell (ammo) holder

32 61.54%
  • Magazine tube extension

19 36.54%
  • Barrel clamp

5 9.62%
  • Other

14 26.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: What options do you have, if any, on your home defense shotgun?

My research on putting together a home defense shotgun "system" also includes the accessories that might be mounted on it. I know a side saddle shell holder seems to be something I would probably want, as well as a weapon mounted light. Probably a sling, too. I'm not sure how essential a red dot is if you have ghost ring sights, or the necessity of a barrel clamp or magazine extension tube?

I'm curious to see what accessories others here find helpful or essential. I will probably be outfitting a Mossberg 930 Tactical SPX.
    Erich1B and 5lima30ret like this.
    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Side saddle, light and mag extension. Just a bead for a sight as that is what I am used to in the woods and fields.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My research on putting together a home defense shotgun "system" also includes the accessories that might be mounted on it. I know a side saddle shell holder seems to be something I would probably want, as well as a weapon mounted light. Probably a sling, too. I'm not sure how essential a red dot is if you have ghost ring sights, or the necessity of a barrel clamp or magazine extension tube?

I'm curious to see what accessories others here find helpful or essential.
    I'm possibly looking to get a light mounted onto my Remington 870 Express with 18.5" barrel. This is the standard wooden stock/fore-end version of their "Tactical" model and doesn't have any picatinny rails. The kind of light I want clamps down on the barrel itself. There is one at my LGS in their 40% off bin I've been looking at but not sure if it's a good light or not.
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My home-defense shotgun is a stock Mossberg 500. The only accessory is ammo.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

For what this may be worth as Iím sharing personal opinions relevant to my home defense shotgun.

The Mossberg 930 SPX you mentioned in another shotgun post holds 7+1, 9 total if you decide to ghost load.

Again, this is personal opinion but if 9 rounds of OO Buck donít get the job done I doubt Iíd have time to double load more shells from a saddle shell holder unless I was John Wick.

The SPX comes with a tube extension so I donít need one of those

I spent around $17 and bought a tube clamp. Too bad for me that Iím overly particular about marring up the finish on my guns so the barrel clamp found a home in the back of the bottom dresser drawer. Since Iím not going to be out in the woods playing Rambo with the shotgun it really wonít serve the purpose of protecting the tube extension from getting bent and Iíd have to take it on and off every time I clean the weapon

I had an extra Vortex red dot sight that I put on it. Works great for the range but Iím rather hoping I never have the need to see how well it works at night on a home intrusion

Anyhow, just sharing some random thoughts on your question
    G26Raven and ETXhiker like this.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    I spent around $17 and bought a tube clamp. Too bad for me that Iím overly particular about marring up the finish on my guns so the barrel clamp found a home in the back of the bottom dresser drawer.
    I too am picky about keeping my firearms in nice condition and I thought about the clamp on the light I was looking at possibly marring up the finish on my barrel. However, it does have some nice, thick, rubber padding on the clamps but I don't how long these will hold up.
    G26Raven and Erich1B like this.

I read that some people used electrical tape around the barrel and tube extension where the clamp would go to protect the finish but I didnít want to fool with anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Fraime View Post
    I too am picky about keeping my firearms in nice condition and I thought about the clamp on the light I was looking at possibly marring up the finish on my barrel. However, it does have some nice, thick, rubber padding on the clamps but I don't how long these will hold up.
    G26Raven likes this.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I voted light and mag tube extension, but technically I just have a long mag tube. Greatly prefer an AR platform for home defense.
    G26Raven and Nmuskier like this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Light, side saddle, extended tube, ghost ring sights, adjustable stock.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Most of the duty shotguns around here have slings, and our Bloop Gun (plain old $79 H&R Walmart 12 ga single shot) has a shortened LOP, Kick-Ezz pad, 18.5" barrel and a tritium front bead.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; November 14th, 2019 at 01:38 PM.
    G26Raven and Rock and Glock like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Only thing I have is a magazine tube extension.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.

For a home defense shotgun, I feel a light is important. If you want to keep a wood forend and not mount a rail on it... there are options like this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100531033?pid=667570

There is another one that fits between the barrel and extension/barrel nut, that gives a short rail for a pistol mount... but forget who puts it out. Want to say Streamlight, but they may have dropped it when they put out their light forends.

On my 870P and TAC-14... Magpul forend with rail and TLR-1.

Side saddle is big, as is a sling. I donít usually add extensions, but try to get them on the gun when I buy. Exception being my TAC-14... added a +1 to that. But sort of debating on AOWing it, so I can do a side-folding brace again. Or SBR it and just do a folding Minimalist stock.
    G26Raven likes this.

The poll does not have no accessories as an option.
    G26Raven and KILTED COWBOY like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

flh
    I voted sling , my home defense shotguns pull double duty as hunting guns .
    G26Raven likes this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    I have a light mounted and side saddle ammo carrier.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links