If you were going to buy a home defense shotgun today, what would you buy?

This is a discussion on If you were going to buy a home defense shotgun today, what would you buy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I've pretty much settled on purchasing a Mossberg 930 SPX, but I am still researching shotguns and am open to further discussion. This ...

View Poll Results: Which home defense shotgun would you buy?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Benelli M2

2 2.47%
  • Benelli M4

7 8.64%
  • Benelli Nova

1 1.23%
  • Beretta 1301

1 1.23%
  • Keltec KSG

3 3.70%
  • Mossberg 500

14 17.28%
  • Mossberg 590

15 18.52%
  • Mossberg 930

8 9.88%
  • Remington 870

13 16.05%
  • Other

17 20.99%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: If you were going to buy a home defense shotgun today, what would you buy?

I think I've pretty much settled on purchasing a Mossberg 930 SPX, but I am still researching shotguns and am open to further discussion. This morning, I spent some time reading up on the Beretta 1301 Tactical, which looks well made but seems to have more recoil due to its light weight.

My question is, knowing what you know today (based on your experience and knowledge) which shotgun would you buy for home defense (not hunting)? Money (price) is not my most important consideration (it does factor in), but rather quality, reliability, weight, recoil, etc. all come before price for me. Manufacturer support is also a big issue.
    OldChap, airslot, Sister and 2 others like this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

I think today I would buy a Mossberg but, I would buy one I could swap barrels on and use for hunting as well. Is that the 500/530?
    I bought my Remington 870 wingmaster in 1980 as it used to be the gold standard in field grade shotguns and was in every police cruiser I worked around but, with slipping QC and less than stellar reviews today I think Mossberg would be my choice. I have always heard good things about Benelli but, I have never owned one.

One factor that is almost never mentioned is the fact that imported shotguns have federal restrictions on add-ons. Although typical legal gobbledegook, it gives us some idea of the current mindset on imports.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/11/03...port-laws-922r
    G26Raven and ETXhiker like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

HD shotgun duties have been assigned to a Mossberg 590 Mariner for the past twelve years. The tube carries a full load of #4s with a six round side saddle split between low recoil 00 and slugs.
    G26Raven, ETXhiker and Geezer like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I opted for the Mossberg 590 because that's what I utilize. Modifications made replaced the OEM barrel sight bead with a night sight bead, OEM magazine stamped follower with a machined follower, OEM safety switch button with a more aggressive metal safety button, and mounted a (6)-Rd shell saddle to the receiver.

My Mossberg 930 has a 24 ď barrel which is ideal for grouse and turkey. I have both the standard and pistolgrip stocks. I mean to get a slug barrel for it too, someday.
    Form low base target trash to the heaviest of turkey loads, my 930 will cycle normally without fail or mag dump as fast as my AR and as fast as you can stuff more in it.
    Itís just like Jerry in a Mossberg commercial, except he makes hits.

Itís funny, I ultimately chose it because of my M500 20 ga that I got when I was a kid and still use today. Havenít been disappointed.
    G26Raven, OldChap and ETXhiker like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Iím not very experienced with shotguns so I went with a 500 just because itís one of only a few shotguns I have experience with and theyíve worked well for me.
    G26Raven, OldChap and ETXhiker like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

JD
    Administrator
    Beretta 1301 in a semi, Mossberg 590 in a pump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Knowing its just for HD would make the choices easier.
    I want maximum capacity.
    I want an action I am most familiar with.
    I want a gun with a long history of reliability.

For me that would be an 870 Remington. I know Semi auto has come a long way in reliability. But I am not used to them. [ personal choice].
    The 870 has the ability to use screw on mag extensions in what ever size matches your barrel length. Mossberg's forward barrel lug prevents using an add on mag.
    and I prefer the safety on the trigger guard.[again personal choice].

Now if you opened my safe, You would find an 870 Rem,a Rem A5, a Sportsman48 [semi auto Rem],a Mossberg 500, two Maverick 88, [ pump guns], a couple SxS's, and a few single shot guns. Only the 870, and 500 have short barrels. but they can be swapped easily . And put back in hunting trim.

My defense load is #4 buck through a Mod choke at about 1200 fps.The reason I picked that is it makes a nice round pattern at 35 yards [ the distance my porch lights illuminate the yard.] And it works equally well from my 870 or SxS.
    Good Luck in picking, It's all about making choices that work for you! DR
    G26Raven, airslot and OldChap like this.

MJK
    Benelli M4.

If itís good enough for the USMC itís good enough for me! Pricey, but you would not be disappointed.
    G26Raven likes this.
    ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Iíll kill you all."
    ó James ďMad DogĒ Mattis

I forgot to mention one of the slickest functioning pump shotguns ever made: the Winchester 1300 Defender.

If you were going to buy a home defense shotgun today, what would you buy?-winchester-1300-defender.jpg
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Knowing its just for HD would make the choices easier.
    I want maximum capacity.
    I want an action I am most familiar with.
    I want a gun with a long history of reliability.

For me that would be an 870 Remington. I know Semi auto has come a long way in reliability. But I am not used to them. [ personal choice].
    The 870 has the ability to use screw on mag extensions in what ever size matches your barrel length. Mossberg's forward barrel lug prevents using an add on mag.
    and I prefer the safety on the trigger guard.[again personal choice].

Now if you opened my safe, You would find an 870 Rem,a Rem A5, a Sportsman48 [semi auto Rem],a Mossberg 500, two Maverick 88, [ pump guns], a couple SxS's, and a few single shot guns. Only the 870, and 500 have short barrels. but they can be swapped easily . And put back in hunting trim.

My defense load is #4 buck through a Mod choke at about 1200 fps.The reason I picked that is it makes a nice round pattern at 35 yards [ the distance my porch lights illuminate the yard.] And it works equally well from my 870 or SxS.
    Good Luck in picking, It's all about making choices that work for you! DR
    That's not entirety true of the 590, there's a NIB factory 18.5" with a +1 at the local shop that's about to come home with me.

Coupled with the better safety location and some of Remington's lackluster QC of late, I feel better going with the 590 as far as current production guns go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I grew up in the Rocky Mountains hunting deer with Winchester '94 .30-30. Nobody I knew was into bird hunting or shotguns. I often carried a 12 gauge riot gun in Viet Nam. To me a shotgun has always meant a 12 gauge short barrel for home-defense. My one and only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel loaded with #1 buckshot.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I forgot to mention one of the slickest functioning pump shotguns ever made: the Winchester 1300 Defender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester-1300-Defender.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	306794
    I have a 1200 Defender, which is the shotgun I have set up for home defense. Never an issue with it, & it patterns well with the loads I use.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

You can also swap barrels on the Mossberg 930.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I think today I would buy a Mossberg but, I would buy one I could swap barrels on and use for hunting as well. Is that the 500/530?
    I bought my Remington 870 wingmaster in 1980 as it used to be the gold standard in field grade shotguns and was in every police cruiser I worked around but, with slipping QC and less than stellar reviews today I think Mossberg would be my choice. I have always heard good things about Benelli but, I have never owned one.
    forester58 and G26Raven like this.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links