The StingerWorks reflex suppressor - Wow!

This is a discussion on The StingerWorks reflex suppressor - Wow! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted this in the "Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?" but my post turned into a review and could easily be missed ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 8 Post By Tangle
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By retired badge 1
  • 3 Post By ExSoldier
  • 4 Post By Tangle
  • 2 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Tangle

Thread: The StingerWorks reflex suppressor - Wow!

Lead Moderator

I posted this in the "Anybody get anything good that's firearm related today?" but my post turned into a review and could easily be missed if one isn't following that thread. So, here's the story...

I got a call from my FFL Monday and was pleasantly surprised to hear my suppressor stamp was in! Took almost 10 months to the day. I applied for an individual mid-march and My PRS buddy applied for a trust for his suppressor in January. His took 11 months. And, BTW, not only do trusts take longer, trusts are more complicated than they used to be.

Anyway, here are some pics of my StingerWorx Emperor suppressor with OBX. What's OBX you ask? It's Over the Barrel RefleX, or Over the Barrel eXpansion [chamber].

Before we get into the pics, maybe a word or two about what OBX is and does - then again, when have I ever been know to just say a word or two?

Suppressors give gas a place to expand before they are expelled into the atmosphere. The more volume, the lower the sound. It may not be linear, but most of the effectiveness of a suppressor is strongly related to volume. I have a Trek T which is 5.5" long and a Liberty Triumph which is 7" long. There is a BIG difference in the sound levels. Given that, we can better understand the purpose of a reflex suppressor.

Suppressors add length to a gun. And, you can't just buy a shorter suppressor and get the same suppression you could with the longer one - this assumes the can diameter is the same. That brings us to the reflex concept. The reflex adds the volume behind the muzzle, not in front of it. That added volume reduces the sound level without extending the length of the gun. Here's a pic showing a 7" conventional suppressor with the StingerWorx suppressor with the reflex attached. The 7" black suppressor shows where the end of the muzzle would be.

There's not magic in reflex necessarily, but it does reduce the sound level without adding length to the gun. OTOH, it does add a bit of weight, although the Emperor is ALL Titanium so there's not a lot of weight added with the reflex. Plus, because the reflex has to go over the barrel, it needs to be a bit larger in diameter than the 1.5" front can. The idea is that when the gas exits the muzzle, it expands into the reflex volume first and then the rest of the suppressor. The effect is claimed to be 1.5-3 dB quieter. A typical suppressor would have about 30 dB of sound reduction so 1.5 - 3 dB is not "shattering", but that 1.5 - 3 dB in "real" numbers would be about a 19% - 41% reduction. I suspect the variance may have to do with caliber.

Here's what the reflex looks like,

BTW, you can run it in the form shown above, i.e. without the reflex.

It looks big, but a good bit of the "big" is behind the muzzle and it's all Titanium and hence very light. Even with the reflex attached it's lighter than my 5.5" Ti and my 7" Ti suppressors. The difference is the Emperor is ALL Ti, the others aren't.

And now, for a pic of the Emperor on my BSF 12" carbon fiber AR - this is so cool it's got to be near absolute zero

And here it is on a Ruger American Ranch Rifle (16.25" barrel)

And it comes with some neat tools - a multi-spanner tool, a clamp, and a long handled Allen wrench to tighten the clamp and to use as a lever. That little round cap is used as the rear cap of the suppressor when the reflex isn't used.

So how does it sound? I wish you could hear it! It is quite, quite When my PRS buddy heard it, he insisted that he shoot it so I could hear it from "afar". It is quite - I have a new favorite.

I happened to get an outstanding deal on this that's no longer available. But I have this one!

It completely disassembles and the baffle system can be replaced if it becomes damaged or ineffective. Mine is a direct thread - which I prefer, but they also have Ti flash suppressors and rear adaptors for that.
    airslot, sdprof, darbo and 5 others like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Nice. So far I refuse to pay over-the-top prices for basically a metal tube with a 10-month wait and a $200 tax attached to it. Ear muffs and plugs are so much cheaper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nice. So far I refuse to pay over-the-top prices for basically a metal tube with a 10-month wait and a $200 tax attached to it. Ear muffs and plugs are so much cheaper.
    Not to mention adding your name to a list in a government office at Washington, DC.
    OldVet likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

As far as being listed with the “GUBMINT” everyone that has a gun is on the list. EVERYONE. The issue is where you sit on the list and that’s determined by the cross referencing.

Like:
    Military service, MOS and rank. Schools attended. This includes formalized militia service in the National Guard and the alluded to private militias.

Concealed Carry Permits held. Ever. Anywhere.

Organization membership (Political): NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation

Organization membership (tactical expertise): IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, COWBOY, Long Range Rifle Shooting.

Hunting Organizations like Safari International show an eagerness to actively “stop a warm, beating, heart.”

Magazine subscriptions besides those of the listed organizations.

Things like Combat Handguns and the RECOIL family and probably Soldier of Fortune.

Also, Survival magazines.

At the top of the list are the folks who write articles for the magazines or INSTRUCT for the organizations or especially instruct in the military. Because you never really learn any subject until you TEACH it.
    airslot, Tangle and G26Raven like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    As far as being listed with the “GUBMINT” everyone that has a gun is on the list. EVERYONE. The issue is where you sit on the list and that’s determined by the cross referencing.

Like:
    Military service, MOS and rank. Schools attended. This includes formalized militia service in the National Guard and the alluded to private militias.

Concealed Carry Permits held. Ever. Anywhere.

Organization membership (Political): NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation

Organization membership (tactical expertise): IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, COWBOY, Long Range Rifle Shooting.

Hunting Organizations like Safari International show an eagerness to actively “stop a warm, beating, heart.”

Magazine subscriptions besides those of the listed organizations.

Things like Combat Handguns and the RECOIL family and probably Soldier of Fortune.

Also, Survival magazines.

At the top of the list are the folks who write articles for the magazines or INSTRUCT for the organizations or especially instruct in the military. Because you never really learn any subject until you TEACH it.
    And, hunting licenses.

I haven't seen being on a government list to be a problem - never had any issue at all because of that. Of course I don't like being visible to the government, but who of us isn't.

But before we get off too far on a sidetrack, this is really just a review of a device that tens of thousands of people are interested in and this suppressor is kinda unique and I thought it might be of interest.

And in a related subject, I'll mention a FYI, and that's all it is, about hearing protection.

Let's say our gun produces a sound level blast of 165 dB - that's probably pretty typical for 16" ARs and higher power cartridges. That 165 dB is Sound Pressure Level (SPL). One shot at that level is damaging to hearing. And, yes, that applies to hunters. It's just that they shoot unprotected so infrequently the damage accumulates very slowly.

So, of course one way to deal with that is to wear gun muffs, even then we may not be fully protected from hearing damage. For example, let's say our muffs are rated at 25 dB. Just to be clear, that means they reduce the sound reaching our ears by 25 dB - sort of. So with those on, we are subjected to a 165 dB gun blast but only 165 minus 25 gets to our ears, or we experience a 140 dB SPL. OSHA, and others, have determined that hearing damage occurs at 140 dB and even a much lower SPL can be damaging is the exposure time is long.

Since 140 dB is right on the edge of damage, and at the range we are often shooting many rounds, we just may be incurring hearing damage. The solution? Get gun muffs with a higher rating or double plug.

Unfortunately, double plugging, i.e. muffs and plugs, is not nearly as effective as it would seem. Again, studies by OSHA and others have revealed that double plugging only adds about 5 dB of protection over the highest dB device being used. For example, we use 20 dB plugs and 25 dB muffs, the apparent reduction is 45 dB, but the studies show that the effective reduction is the higher rating plus 5 dB, so in this example, we would get 25 dB from the muffs and 5 dB from the plugs. Why?

The studies show that much sound reaches our delicate hearing by bone conduction in the face and skull. So even double plugged, we're only gonna get about 30 dB of protection.

Now the same thing with a 25 dB muff and a 30 dB suppressor - and I'm not trying to sell anyone on suppressors - just posting some facts. A suppressor works much differently than muffs. The muffs have to deal with the full muzzle blast of 165 dB. The suppressor cuts the 165 dB down by 30 dB typically, to 135 dB before it gets into the atmosphere, so your muffs/hearing is only exposed to a SPL of, in this example, 135 dB which is already below the hearing damage level of 140 dB.

And 5 dB is not as small as the numbers alone indicate. DBs are on logarithmic scale; that means small changes can make BIG differences. For example, that difference from 140 dB to 135 dB is 5 dB, but 5 dB represents a change of 60%!

Now, when you add hearing protection, say 20 dB plugs, we would get 135 dB minus 20 dB or 115 dB reaching our hearing. That additional 20 dB is a factor of 10 reduction.

Again, not trying to sell suppressors nor suggesting you'll go deaf without one - you won't as long as you use good ear protection. This is just some things to be aware of.
    in Gun Free Zones.

I like that I can now shoot my 308s without muffs, if I have the range to myself. I'm looking forward to running the AR with the CMMG conversion and CCI Quiet and subsonics. It was worth the 10 1/2 mo wait. Both of mine are OSS flow thru cans.
    G26Raven and Tangle like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    And, hunting licenses.

Again, not trying to sell suppressors nor suggesting you'll go deaf without one - you won't as long as you use good ear protection. This is just some things to be aware of.
    Apparently in FL anyone can buy a gun as long as they have a hunting license.

And you make us aware of a lot of things, that "You don't know what you don't know" type of stuff.
    airslot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Apparently in FL anyone can buy a gun as long as they have a hunting license.

And you make us aware of a lot of things, that "You don't know what you don't know" type of stuff.
    Thanks @OldVet , I'm just trying to share things I've learned from lot's of reading and study.

When I was working, two of my 5 days/week were loooong. I had morning classes that ended at 11:00am and then evening classes that started at 5:30 pm. That gave me a long break and it was nice! It was almost too much to try to go home and come back so I used the time to grade and do other chores, but that still left lot's of time to entertain myself, so I did internet searches on anything and everything I could think of that I found interesting. Needless to say, I discovered a lot of those, "I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!" kind of stuff. which I tried to pass along to my friends here.
    OldVet and airslot like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Sponsored Links