Ruger 10/22 w BX25 magazine

Ruger 10/22 w BX25 magazine

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 w BX25 magazine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently bought two of the BX25 mags for my old 10/22. Fired over 425 rounds today, of a mix of Browning bulk and CCI Mini ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By Risasi
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By Chuck808
  • 1 Post By beebee
  • 1 Post By craze

Thread: Ruger 10/22 w BX25 magazine

Thumbs up Ruger 10/22 w BX25 magazine

Recently bought two of the BX25 mags for my old 10/22. Fired over 425 rounds today, of a mix of Browning bulk and CCI Mini Mags. Not a single malfunction! The CCI was slightly more accurate, as would be expected.

I was pleasantly surprised at the reliability, quite frankly.

I thought that this combination would make a good home defense option for those of smaller stature, of limited strength, with disabilities, recoil intolerant, etc. A swarm of .22 bullets as quickly as the trigger can be pulled is no joke. The gun, mags and ammo are certainly affordable too, allowing for more training.

My only slight complaint is that the BX25 mags donít drop free. Otherwise they exceeded my expectations by far.
    craze, ugh762x39, airslot and 4 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I've done some pretty extensive accuracy and reliability testing.

For defensive loads, Velocitors are your friend. Minimags are half the price and a good runner up; https://youtu.be/kaON43n1Yww?t=563

A 25rd mag to the mediastinum and face ought to ruin any perp's day...

More recently I've run some of the new CCI Quiet-22 Semi-Auto. These are not as quiet as something like the primer only Super Colibris, but they are still pretty quiet and cycle the action on my 10/22. So quiet that as buddy and I were out at a church wiffle-ball tournament this past summer and we were working with some of the 8-13 year old teaching gun safety and marksmanship with pellet guns. After we were done with the kids I pulled out my 10/22 and decided to try out some of these new Quiet-22 I had just picked up. Nobody about 130 yards away and on the other side of the house could hear me shooting these. 45 [email protected] Just for noise sensitive shooters, and discrete varmint control I think it's good to keep a few boxes around...they are reasonably priced too at about $4 a box in my neck of the woods.

For cheaper plinking loads I like the bricks of Winchester Super-X 40 grain copper plated HP. They hit roughly the same POA/POI out to 100 yards, and I've not had any failure to feed, or misfires.
    Old Man and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    The issue with the CCI Quiet loads is that they don't cycle the 10/22 reliably if you are using a suppressor. The combo is VERY quiet but it turns the weapon, functionally, into the equivalent of a bolt action weapon.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    My only slight complaint is that the BX25 mags donít drop free. Otherwise they exceeded my expectations by far.
    Part of that may be due to the mag retention button not retracting completely. The aftermarket quick-release levers seem to take care of that, but I've also been successful just cleaning up the detail pieces and paying attention to clearances. These aren't precision pieces so a little hand work might help.

More commonly, the much lighter BX-10 mags won't fall free. The common "wisdom" over on RimfireCentral.com is to remove material from the mag well, but I found it more likely that the molded plastic (read: inexpensive) parts were slightly oversize and not square. A few passes over fine sandpaper on a glass plate made them all drop freely.
    matthew03, PPS1980 and airslot like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Part of that may be due to the mag retention button not retracting completely. The aftermarket quick-release levers seem to take care of that, but I've also been successful just cleaning up the detail pieces and paying attention to clearances. These aren't precision pieces so a little hand work might help.

More commonly, the much lighter BX-10 mags won't fall free. The common "wisdom" over on RimfireCentral.com is to remove material from the mag well, but I found it more likely that the molded plastic (read: inexpensive) parts were slightly oversize and not square. A few passes over fine sandpaper on a glass plate made them all drop freely.
    Iím of the ďif it ainít broke, donít fix itĒ mindset. If it feeds, fires and ejects properly, then Iím going to leave well enough alone.
    CWOUSCG, Risasi and airslot like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    The issue with the CCI Quiet loads is that they don't cycle the 10/22 reliably if you are using a suppressor. The combo is VERY quiet but it turns the weapon, functionally, into the equivalent of a bolt action weapon.
    Does that include the new Quiet-22 Semi Auto loads? I donít own a suppressor, but if they donít cuke, thatís some good info to file away...not that they are all that loud anyway...

If a 10/22 with a 25rd mag was all I had for HD I would sleep just fine until I were able to get something in a different cartridge that is a bit more potent, like 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39, or 12ga.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    If a 10/22 with a 25rd mag was all I had for HD I would sleep just fine until I were able to get something in a different cartridge that is a bit more potent, like 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39, or 12ga.
    absolutely
    airslot likes this.

I just bought two of these to go along with the Christmas gift I got for for my son. In the past I've had no luck with aftermarket higher capacity mags for the 10-22. When the BX25s came out I decided to give em a try in my 10-22 and they've worked flawlessly. These are the only higher cap mags I would put in a 1022 for serious use. I still prefer the flush fitting 10 rounders for carrying in the woods.
    Risasi likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I have one of each the BX25 and BX15 and both have been very reliable.
    THE CROW

Sponsored Links