First AR pistol build - Page 3

First AR pistol build

This is a discussion on First AR pistol build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Pete63 I own many PDW's. Several caliber's and barrel length's. They vary from 5" (.45 acp Kriss Vector) to 10.5" AR pistol ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: First AR pistol build

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    I own many PDW's. Several caliber's and barrel length's. They vary from 5" (.45 acp Kriss Vector) to 10.5" AR pistol in 5.56. The primary "go to" gun is an AR pistol in 5.56 with 7.5" barrel for a "bump in the night". With the layout of my home, (confining conditions & some OTHER factors) I want the shortest barrel feasible. Something to think about, IF it's a "specialty use" firearm. Yes, I'm aware of running this short a barrel in 5.56 may not be what "SOME" want. I've been around gun's from the beginning of the AR's inception. MY choice.
    It defiantly will be a specialty use weapon.

The G17 has done a great job close in, but I'm specifically looking for an effective one handed firearm for longer distances against varmints (2 or 4 legs).

BackpackHunter,
    I have a couple boxes of Black Hills 77gr TMK that I tried in my ATI carbine, but didn't have good results with the 1 in 8 rifling, 55-69gr does better.
    OldChap likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

OP, I would definitely advise you look into the Roni since you already have a G17. I have a G22 with the Roni, and shoot 100yrds with no issues. Since it all polymer it will keep weight to a minimum, just add a red dot.

Owning a AR9 pistol in 5.5" and an AR15 pistol in 10.5" I would tell you, they would not not comfortable shooting with one arm.

Good Luck !!

https://caagearup.com/product/micro-roni-stabilizer/

Your requirement for one handed yet long range shooting really limits you. I once tried a 14" scoped 30-30 Contender one handed getting ready for the Masters 3 gun Pistol event years ago. We had one stage we had to shoot standing at 75 and 100 meters. While searching for a standing position with this awkward handgun, I tried one handed. I hit the pistol target at 100 yards - about the size of the steel plates we'd be shooting at, but it hurt my wrist so bad I knew it wouldn't work, but I had to know if it was a fluke or if I could do it again. So I tried and did hit it again. But it was almost too heavy and hard on the wrist and hand. It makes me think you almost need a bull-pup design to balance out the weight and have something magazine fed. But as already stated, no one seems to make a long barreled pistol to put into one of these Roni things. If you get too heavy, I imagine your carpel tunnel won't like that either. Now that I remember, the next year at that event, they - some- were using an AR15 platform and were putting together stocks that rested on the forearm for the standing part of the event.

The Masters and its Guns - The Masters International Shooting Championship

https://americanhandgunner.com/wp-co...9/01/HJF88.pdf pages 53-55

iirr these had to come from a gunsmith fresh as pistols, not cut down and modified rifles. It still sounds like only something in a bullpup design is what will work for you.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    Your requirement for one handed yet long range shooting really limits you. I once tried a 14" scoped 30-30 Contender one handed getting ready for the Masters 3 gun Pistol event years ago. We had one stage we had to shoot standing at 75 and 100 meters. While searching for a standing position with this awkward handgun, I tried one handed. I hit the pistol target at 100 yards - about the size of the steel plates we'd be shooting at, but it hurt my wrist so bad I knew it wouldn't work, but I had to know if it was a fluke or if I could do it again. So I tried and did hit it again. But it was almost too heavy and hard on the wrist and hand. It makes me think you almost need a bull-pup design to balance out the weight and have something magazine fed. But as already stated, no one seems to make a long barreled pistol to put into one of these Roni things. If you get too heavy, I imagine your carpel tunnel won't like that either. Now that I remember, the next year at that event, they - some- were using an AR15 platform and were putting together stocks that rested on the forearm for the standing part of the event.

The Masters and its Guns - The Masters International Shooting Championship

https://americanhandgunner.com/wp-co...9/01/HJF88.pdf pages 53-55

iirr these had to come from a gunsmith fresh as pistols, not cut down and modified rifles. It still sounds like only something in a bullpup design is what will work for you.
    Loved my Contender, but gave it up when I quit shooting silhouette.

Like the idea of the bull-pup. Haven't seen anything in a manageable size though.

Thanks again! My search isn't over.
    OldChap likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    i have a PSA 300BO, and energetic arms Vox suppressor in jail. should make for a nice HD setup and quiet range shooting.
    OldChap and TSKnight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackHunter View Post
    That is the bullet. I have not seen that article before. I'm not sure if you read it, but it does mention that the polymer tip aids in fragmenting at least three or four times. What may have been mentioned there, or it may have been in another article is that they put the polymer tip on there to ensure reliable fragmentation at lower velocities. There are quite a few folks out there that have posted their tests with a 10.5" barrel. Someone from Black Hills (I can't remember the name right now) answered a ton of questions on AR15 right around its release several years ago.

Esse quam videri
    This is all kind of a pointless discussion. The military has been using the long, heavy loadings in short barrel guns (for special forces) for many years now - with excellent results. These loads have worked so well the line units now are scrounging them for their use as well. Our SWAT guys used them with the entry team. The design doesn't require the same velocity as the original 55 and 62 grain bullets to be effective.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    This is all kind of a pointless discussion. The military has been using the long, heavy loadings in short barrel guns (for special forces) for many years now - with excellent results. These loads have worked so well the line units now are scrounging them for their use as well. Our SWAT guys used them with the entry team. The design doesn't require the same velocity as the original 55 and 62 grain bullets to be effective.
    I think we are in agreement.

Esse quam videri
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackHunter View Post
    That is the bullet. I have not seen that article before. I'm not sure if you read it, but it does mention that the polymer tip aids in fragmenting at least three or four times. What may have been mentioned there, or it may have been in another article is that they put the polymer tip on there to ensure reliable fragmentation at lower velocities. There are quite a few folks out there that have posted their tests with a 10.5" barrel. Someone from Black Hills (I can't remember the name right now) answered a ton of questions on AR15 right around its release several years ago.

Esse quam videri
    "Technically" the polymer tip was added to the TMKs to increase the BC and feeding IAW Sierra:

ierra has enhanced a segment of the MatchKing line by adding the acetal resin tip, thus crowning the Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullet line. The major advantage of adding a tip to the bullet is the reduction of drag, producing a more favorable ballistic coefficient. Another benefit is reliable feeding in magazine fed firearms. The 77 grain Tipped MatchKing (TMK) allows seating to an OAL that permits cartridges to be loaded into M16/AR15 magazines.

While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.
    https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...ber-77-gr-tmk/

I've used them in a couple of my precision guns, and they do shoot flatter and offer about the same accuracy as their non-tipped SMKs.
    OldChap and TSKnight like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Here is my HD AR Pistol and farmyard yote medicine. 40S&W 8.5" BBL. Shooting 155 JHP's it is ballistically superior to the 5.56 fired from a 7.5" BBL. If using 180's the darn thing is almost hearing safe, 155's are a bit louder but magnitudes quieter than the 5.56 or 300 AAC. Did I mention it is a blast to shoot.......

First AR pistol build-img_20190507_202144796.jpg

I picked up a threaded BBL for my Glock 22 and will be soon be throwing that in a Roni STAB to be a companion to my Glock 31C.
    airslot and TSKnight like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links