First AR pistol build - Page 4

First AR pistol build

This is a discussion on First AR pistol build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by munch520 Sorry, just backing up here because I'm a bit confused. You're saying you missed out on a Coyote because of not ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: First AR pistol build

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Sorry, just backing up here because I'm a bit confused. You're saying you missed out on a Coyote because of not being able to shoot at them one-handed. And so you want an AR pistol.

But then you're saying the PRIMARY focus of the gun will be HD, with some varmint control. Based on the above, it sounded like your primary focus would be varmint control?
    I intend this build as a "House gun" to be kept for ready access.
    My experience with that is it is much more likely to be used for coyote than 2 legged vermin. The coyote like to hunt the trees behind my house. A couple years ago I got three pups from my back steps with my Wife's PC9. All between 50-100 yards. Well within the range of a PCC, but farther than I would be comfortable with a pistol.

If I'm going hunting for coyote, I'll take a dedicated rifle, but those are not usually kept handy for bumps in the night.
    Pete63 and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Well, got it put together this morning. Used the Anderson lower as it was already assembled except for the buffer tube.
    Am going to swap the Holosun 503 from my ATI to this build and put the 4x Leapers LER back on the ATI for now. Is raining now, so will get things bore sighted and ready for when the weather clears.
    Looking forward to running it through the paces.

Will get pics once I have it set up.
    Pete63, Bozz10mm, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I intend this build as a "House gun" to be kept for ready access.
    My experience with that is it is much more likely to be used for coyote than 2 legged vermin. The coyote like to hunt the trees behind my house. A couple years ago I got three pups from my back steps with my Wife's PC9. All between 50-100 yards. Well within the range of a PCC, but farther than I would be comfortable with a pistol.

If I'm going hunting for coyote, I'll take a dedicated rifle, but those are not usually kept handy for bumps in the night.
    I hear ya. That's easily rectified...rifle is sitting in closet with mags in a safe. Between lights, cameras, security, dog...I'll have plenty of time to get what's needed from a secure place. But that's just me. Needing to wake up and be in a gunfight within a few seconds isn't a (personal) reality.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. - JFK

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, long post.

Had it out for it's maiden voyage this morning. I don't have my shooting bench out yet, so using the 4 wheeler as a rest. Not ideal, but ok for function testing and getting it on paper.
    Started at 25 yards to get it on paper with 55gr fmj WWbox.
    The first 3 rounds fired are above the left corner with a center aim point. Second 2 rounds lower left. Third string center left. Fourth string is on the right edge of center bull.

Moved back to 50 yards with the next 2 rounds to the right of the neck. The second string is just above and left of center. Third string below and center and the group of 3 just above the + the last shot from a rest.

The 6 head shots were done shouldered with 2 hands.

Finished off the magazine one hand shouldered aiming for the left side bull.

Good first day. Obviously not as accurate one handed, but I'm not going to complain about my results. For the first time out.

Once I have my shooting bench out I'll put in some work with the 77gr TMK to dial it in properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First AR pistol build-img_20200406_114646000_hdr_1586193155616.jpg  

First AR pistol build-img_20200406_114411499_hdr_1586193409056.jpg  

airslot and Pete63 like this.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Forgot to include a picture after I put it together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First AR pistol build-img_20200405_183214224_1586194962281.jpg  

Democracy:
    Freedom:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links