Trainer Rifle: Ruger 10/22 or PC?

This is a discussion on Trainer Rifle: Ruger 10/22 or PC? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a handgun range on my property with steel targets; it's not suitable for traditional rifles, but I would like to do some run-and-gun ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 4 Post By CrabbyOldGuy
  • 2 Post By craze
  • 2 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By mrtimm
  • 1 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 3 Post By PPS1980

Thread: Trainer Rifle: Ruger 10/22 or PC?

I have a handgun range on my property with steel targets; it's not suitable for traditional rifles, but I would like to do some run-and-gun type rifle training, so I'm trying to decide between a Ruger 10/22 (because the ammo is cheap) or a Ruger PC (because the power/recoil is a bit closer to rifle calibers than a .22lr rifle). Thoughts?

Nobody needs a reason to have a 10/22. Theyre just too fun. PCs are pretty sweet too. Do you reload in that caliber? If not, Id start with the 10/22 and save room for the PC in the near future.

In my limited experience shooting steel I've found it's much more fun banging on those plates with a centerfire than a rimfire. That said I can't think of anyone that has regretted buying a 10-22.
    usmc0811 and PPS1980 like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If you're talking AR substitute, I'd run my AR with the CMMG conversion in it.
    Smitty901 and Chuck R. like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I have both and Id go 10/22 simply because the PC is a pain to clean.
    PPS1980 likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Senior Moderator
    I've got a Ruger PC and 5 10/22s. I say start with the .22, get familiar with running and gunning (get some training, please!) and then step up to centerfire carbines.
    PPS1980 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

PC gets my vote if you can only buy one, you can load for it if you need to and if you need to you can use it in a defensive roll more adequately. The gun guy in me says you should by both.

I'll be the odd man out and say the the M&P 15-22! Mine is extremely reliable (S&W .22 AR mags are much better IMO) more so than my 10-22 that I used to have. The 15-22 controls are like a standard AR so it makes sense for run & gun competition! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'd go with a 10/22, especially if you're just learning. They're a cheaper to run, can be customized to no end, will help you learn all you need to know at a low price.

Then, I'd go with Airslot's suggestion. Get a moderately priced AR and get a CMMG .22LR conversion kit. I love mine.
    PPS1980 and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    I don't know of anyone who regretted buying a 10/22. There is a reason it's the most popular .22 rifle and comes in ton of different flavors. They are a blast to shoot and don't put as much ding in the wallet for ammo.
    airslot likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    As has been said, the 10/22 is endlessly customizable, costs less to run, suppressors for it are cheaper too. I'd recommend you look for a deal on a takedown model. I spent a good bit of time waiting and looking and got the 10/22 Takedown Model 11125 is SS for a song BNIB on Gunbroker. When it came into my LGS they asked why I didn't buy it from them, all I said was look at the receipt.

Precision-rifled, cold hammer-forged barrel capped with a 1/2"-28 thread. Fiber Optic Hi-Viz Rear Sight and adjustable Fiber Optic front sight.

NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    If you're talking AR substitute, I'd run my AR with the CMMG conversion in it.
    +1

Or a dedicated AR in .22LR or a AR15 in PC caliber IF you want to get the most out of practice sessions. An AR15 in 9mm actually has more recoil than a .223 due to bolt mass. They make excellent trainers. It never hurts to stay with the same platform, especially when working with ARs due to the offset.
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsored Links