350 legend tech question

350 legend tech question

This is a discussion on 350 legend tech question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I put a 10.5 " .350 upper on my AR pistol do I need to change out the buffer springs also? I know squat ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 350 legend tech question

350 legend tech question

If I put a 10.5 " .350 upper on my AR pistol do I need to change out the buffer springs also?
    I know squat about swapping uppers on an AR so forgive my ignorance
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    If I put a 10.5 " .350 upper on my AR pistol do I need to change out the buffer springs also?
    I know squat about swapping uppers on an AR so forgive my ignorance
    I can't answer that definitively, but I have a 6.8 SPC upper (11") and run it suppressed. And a buddy recently assembled a 6 mm (yep, 6 mm, not 6.5 mm) upper, also suppressed and neither of us had to change the buffer spring, But, we both use an adjustable gas block.

I would avoid changing buffer springs if at all possible. If you "adjust" by changing buffer springs, everytime you swap uppers, you might have to change out the buffer springs. The adjustable gas block approach not only avoids that but lets you fine tune your upper to a load.
    gasmitty and bmcgilvray like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

When I converted my rifle to 6.8 I changed the spring. With the original, the recoil was very violent in that I could tell the parts were hammering really hard. Cases ejected to the next county. I do not have an adjustable gas block. I but in a heavy buffer too, but that alone didn’t help much.

5.56 is weak. That 350 will have a lot more recoil, safe bet you would need a different one.
    Sprinco, red spring, stiffer and longer, but not so long that it binds up. Huge differnce, normal ejection and soft shooting.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    When I converted my rifle to 6.8 I changed the spring. With the original, the recoil was very violent in that I could tell the parts were hammering really hard. Cases ejected to the next county. I do not have an adjustable gas block. I but in a heavy buffer too, but that alone didn’t help much.

5.56 is weak. That 350 will have a lot more recoil, safe bet you would need a different one.
    Sprinco, red spring, stiffer and longer, but not so long that it binds up. Huge differnce, normal ejection and soft shooting.
    Undoubtedly that works, but you can do the same thing with an adjustable gas block. Then when you switch from a 5.56 upper to a 6.8 SPC upper, nothing has to be changed at all. I set my adjustable blocks to eject at about 3:00 for both the 5.56 or 6.8 SPC.

There has to be more recoil with the 6.8 SPC because it generates more energy and it's shooting a heavier bullet - both of those add to the recoil.
    Struckat, Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Try it, see how it shoots, where the brass goes and tune it from there. Every one is a little different. What kind of ballistics to you expect from the 10" I have been Jonesing for one since the cartridge came out.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Undoubtedly that works, but you can do the same thing with an adjustable gas block. Then when you switch from a 5.56 upper to a 6.8 SPC upper, nothing has to be changed at all. I set my adjustable blocks to eject at about 3:00 for both the 5.56 or 6.8 SPC.

There has to be more recoil with the 6.8 SPC because it generates more energy and it's shooting a heavier bullet - both of those add to the recoil.
    Yes, but I wanted to maintain the original front sight gas block assembly. A spring and a H2 buffer was a better answer for me.
    Tangle likes this.

You prefer 3:00 ejection? I have always been told 4:00 is the sweet spot.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Ok the 10.5" upper I'm looking at is a complet assembly so I'm not sure how it's set up, time to go looking guess
    @BADBOB I'm just interested in trying it too, might use it like a short brush carbine, woods around here are tight and close I figure even out of that 10.5" barrel a 150-180 gr soft point would drop deer, pigs and coyotes with ease out around 50-75 yards
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    You prefer 3:00 ejection? I have always been told 4:00 is the sweet spot.
    I said 3:00 to allow for load variations for a fixed gas port and buffer spring.

For me personally, I've found if I'm set at 4:00 for a particular load and shoot a lighter load, the cycling is not as reliable. But, I generally set my uppers to 4:00. If I shoot a lighter load and it doesn't cycle cleanly, I can increase the gas a bit.
    Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    Yes, but I wanted to maintain the original front sight gas block assembly. A spring and a H2 buffer was a better answer for me.
    This is worth a look, it's pricey and not original but it mostly looks original

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS
    Struckat likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

This is worth a look, it's pricey and not original but it mostly looks original

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS
    Thanks, but no. My AR is a basic hunting rifle with magpul furniture and an upgraded trigger. Works perfectly and I am not gonna mess with it.

Sighuman,
    your requirements are the same as mine for the dense north woods of MN, except I need a lot more clothing!
    I won’t see a shot over 100 yards. With a zero @50, I am zero again bout 200 and 9” or so low at 300 with a 110 Accubond. The 6.8 works perfectly for me.

The 350 sounds like it will work for you.

Well I'm looking at the Bear Creek Arsenal 10
    5" upper , I think I will just go for it here around tax return time, the upper is $230, it has a heavy profile 4150 chrome vanadium barrel with a 1/16 twist ....if nothing else options are always good, will probably mount one of the short red dot scopes on it
    Struckat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    So you change gas blocks from one barrel to the other? Adjustable gas blocks sounds like a great idea to just change complete uppers and not do anything with the spring and buffer.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    So you change gas blocks from one barrel to the other? Adjustable gas blocks sounds like a great idea to just change complete uppers and not do anything with the spring and buffer.
    What? No, I have not messed with gas blocks at all.
    Bought a 6.8 upper, then a buffer and spring. That’s all, works perfectly. A common recipe for the 6.8.
    Adjustable gas blocks are a good thing when they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Try it, see how it shoots, where the brass goes and tune it from there. Every one is a little different. What kind of ballistics to you expect from the 10" I have been Jonesing for one since the cartridge came out.
    Hey Bob just watched a ballistics by the inch video on the 350 and at 10" with a 145 grain bullet it was doing 2066 fps with 1374 ft-lbs of KE , that was with WWB 145 gr fmj, so that 10.5" upper isn't looking to shabby in my eyes 👍🙂
    Bad Bob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links