AR10 Spares?

AR10 Spares?

This is a discussion on AR10 Spares? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About 6 months ago, I bought a Barrett Rec 10/AR10 in .308. It's a very nice rifle and to date, I have been very pleased ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: AR10 Spares?

AR10 Spares?

About 6 months ago, I bought a Barrett Rec 10/AR10 in .308. It's a very nice rifle and to date, I have been very pleased with it. As is my usual fashion, I thought I would purchase some spares to keep on hand as I do for all of my firearms. Just as I have for my AR15, I wanted to purchase a spare bolt assembly and firing pin (not a complete bolt carrier group). To me, these are two of the most likely items to need replacement, although on this rifle they seem to be so stout I doubt they will ever fail. But I was a Boy Scout and I still subscribe to the motto, "Be prepared." I also still adhere to the commercial diver philosophy that if something can fail, it will. But I digress.

I called Barrett shortly after I purchased the rifle and asked to purchase a spare bolt assembly and firing pin. At the time, I was told they were not selling spares, but if something went wrong I could call them and they would take care of me. I did not doubt that I could eventually get a part, but I wanted to have spares on hand (you know, the zombie apocalypse and all that). They told me to call back in a few months. I did and got the same answer.

Last week I was at the SHOT show and went to the Barrett booth and spoke with one of their customer service reps. He promised to help me when he got back to the factory. I sent him an email and his response was that they would only sell me a complete bolt carrier group at a price of $300.00. I don't think that's an unreasonable price, but I can see no reason to purchase the bolt carrier, as I doubt that part will ever fail. Or is there something I don't know? Okay, I admit there's a lot of things I don't know.

My question is, how do I spec out a spare bolt and firing pin for the Rec 10. I am presuming (perhaps falsely?) that this is a mil-spec rifle since Barrett primarily serves the military market and they have lots of nice pictures of military guys on the Rec 10 page on their web site. I see a lot of parts for sale on other sites that are listed as "DPMS compatible" and I can't seem to find a site with a good explanation of the differences between a DPMS bolt and firing pin compared to a mil-spec set. From what I have read, there does not seem to be any standards in the AR10 world compared to the AR15 universe.

If anybody can point me in the right direction regarding some compatible spares I would appreciate it!
    OldChap and BigJon10125 like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I just buy spare rifles.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I just buy spare rifles.
    I support this approach.
    Bad Bob, G26Raven and airslot like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The reason there are no mil specs for the AR-10 is simple: there are no mil spec AR-10 rifles.

To make a long story short, unless you just enjoy assembling things, just buy a complete bolt carrier group. That is the part you take out of the upper receiver when you open the take down pins to clean the rifle. There are a number of little parts in the bolt carrier group - all of them come out together when you open the gun and pull the "bolt" out. It is only one piece in the rifle. In reality, what you are pulling out is the bolt carrier group, not "the bolt." The bolt is among those parts, but when the bolt is assembled, it is called a bolt carrier group.

I hope that makes sense.

And unless they created a one-off design (which I doubt), any AR-10 bolt carrier group will fit any AR-10.

EDIT Found some simple photos:

The "BOLT"

AR10 Spares?-xl_452000157_1-e1540871203317.jpg

These parts must be installed to make it a BOLT CARRIER GROUP
    Name:  p_452000165_6-e1540870561858.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  17.1 KB
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't know about bolt carrier groups, but I do know there are differences in magazines. There are two types, the ones that also fit the M-14/M1A and the Armalite magazines.
    SatCong, airslot and G26Raven like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    A buddy of mine has an Armalite AR-10 and I have a DPMS LR-10.
    we swapped the bolts on our rifles one day and they were interchangeable and performed the same.
    Not sure about other brands but I think they are all the same.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Oldchap, my understanding is that the bolt is the larger item in your bottom photo, along with the cam, the firing pin, and the cotter pin that restricts the movement of the firing pin. The bolt carrier is the larger photo. See the page below from the Barrett manual.

AR10 Spares?-rec10-manual-rev-18.jpg
    OldChap likes this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

The nice thing about a complete bcg is vs the bolt and misc small parts is that a complete bcg can be dropped in ie you donít need to wait until everythingís cooled down and clean to diagnose what went wrong simply open drop in replacement and commence the festivities. Also you can break a gas key or strip the threads in which cas you might need a replacement carrier. Otherwise unless you have a out of battery discharge or a kaboom the Carrier should be ok.

@OldChap the bolt would be the part with locking lugs the carrier is the body which it sets within and the small parts and all would be complete bolt carrier group.
    OldChap, G26Raven and airslot like this.

I just buy spare rifles.
    If I could do that, I would. But there are limits to even my budget....
    airslot likes this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    If I could do that, I would. But there are limits to even my budget....
    Poppycock.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    The nice thing about a complete bcg is vs the bolt and misc small parts is that a complete bcg can be dropped in ie you donít need to wait until everythingís cooled down and clean to diagnose what went wrong simply open drop in replacement and commence the festivities. Also you can break a gas key or strip the threads in which cas you might need a replacement carrier. Otherwise unless you have a out of battery discharge or a kaboom the Carrier should be ok.

@OldChap the bolt would be the part with locking lugs the carrier is the body which it sets within and the small parts and all would be complete bolt carrier group.
    Correct. I'm getting all kinds of things mixed up today. One grand senior moment I suppose.

@G26Raven Correct...
    Gunnie and G26Raven like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Correct. I'm getting all kinds of things mixed up today. One grand senior moment I suppose.

@G26Raven Correct...
    Don't feel bad. I have those almost every day! Fortunately, when I sent my wife the photo of the cute girl I was photographed with two years ago at the SHOT show I typed, "Wish you were here" rather than "Wish you were her..."

AR10 Spares?-her.jpg
    We are ALL Virginians!

I just buy spare rifles.
    I just buy more "spare" parts until I have a new rifle.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I bought 2 Palmetto AR10s for 1200 dollars total. All of the internals are the same.
    G26Raven and graydude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

@G26Raven Correct...
    No worries
    OldChap likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links