Almost ready to buy my M1 Garand

This is a discussion on Almost ready to buy my M1 Garand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have been putting my nickels and dimes together to purchase an M1 Garand. I have been looking at the private sales market and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Almost ready to buy my M1 Garand

VIP Member

So I have been putting my nickels and dimes together to purchase an M1 Garand.
    I have been looking at the private sales market and gun broker site.
    Also CMP.
    CMP seems like the way I want to go.
    Now my only other decision is do I want them to pick out a rifle for me in the grade I choose.
    Or do I want to drive the 700 miles to Alabama and pick out my own.
    Has anyone gone to the store? Is it a better choice?
    I always like to put my hands on a rifle before I buy it but lots of folks say they get a nice rifle from CMP through shipping.
    Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    First, great choice and congratulations.

You do get a choice at CMP in AL as long as you are not trying to buy one of the high end rifles on auction. Their range is well worth a visit. Last time I was there you were not allowed to leave with the weapon but shipping was included. You would also have a chance to look at items that do not always go on the website like slings and enbloc clips.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I got a great rifle ordering from the CMP and I also ordered extra clips and a few cans of surplus ammo as well. From my experience, some friends, and reading, the CMP is quite fair with their grading and you will not get a crap rifle.

I would also say that the CMP is the way to go. I often see rifles for sale locally and on GB that are priced higher that came from the CMP. Seems there is a premium on one with CMP paperwork and for not having to wait. I also went with CMP because I did not have the knowledge of the platform to shop gun shows. It was just easier for me.

Might as well order a bayonet(if they have any) and sling along with the ammo and clips. They sometimes have clipped ammo on the site too but it seems not often anymore.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    First, great choice and congratulations.

You do get a choice at CMP in AL as long as you are not trying to buy one of the high end rifles on auction. Their range is well worth a visit. Last time I was there you were not allowed to leave with the weapon but shipping was included. You would also have a chance to look at items that do not always go on the website like slings and enbloc clips.
    Just checked the stores website.
    Looks like only restriction on taking your purchased rifle with you is if your state requires a license or permit, then you need to give them a photocopy.
    And absolutely no California residents may take a rifle with them.
    I live in Texas, so I assume I will be able to leave with my rifle.
    airslot and PPS1980 like this.

If you have the time to drive, it would be fun.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Senior Moderator
    A few years back our youngest son selected a rifle from Anniston. He was dating his now wife who lived in Alabama at the time. He was in the Marine Corps and on leave when he stopped in to get the M1 of his dreams. They sent him along with the rifle, a case, and some accessories and goodies and he brought it back to Texas for me to keep for him during his enlistment. The rifle he selected was nice. They helpfully showed him which rifles were most "in spec." He thought it was a great experience.

Here we are just after he brought the M1 home on that return from deployment leave, him with his new rifle and me with my M1, obtained in 1987 from the CMP's predecessor, the DCM. I think that guns from the government are always a good deal.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

They do take post-it note requests on mail orders, and the consensus is they do a great job. If I had the opportunity, though, I'd visit the store. Just don't blame me when you come home with "extra" rifles. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Just checked the stores website.
    Looks like only restriction on taking your purchased rifle with you is if your state requires a license or permit, then you need to give them a photocopy.
    And absolutely no California residents may take a rifle with them.
    I live in Texas, so I assume I will be able to leave with my rifle.
    It's been a while and that is a nice change. Makes me think I need to make a trip to AL - it's only 2 hours for me........no must resist!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I would drive down and pick it out myself but then I'm only 95 miles away. Last fall when I was there, the range store had better selection and nicer looking rifles. Plus a couple of 1903s. They used to only have a couple but have recently put racks out on the floor full of what I guess is overflow from the return program. The main store has a larger quantity but there we probably 6 or 7 racks of maybe 10 rifles at the range. Either way you can't go wrong. The armorers are at the main store if you want advice from them. The range itself is one of the nicest in the country, looks like a country club. Get some clips and a bayonet, cheaper there than the open market. I bought a bag of 20 used clips for $15.00, all worked fine after a little cleanup. I ended up buying a CMP Special in .308. Looks like a brand new gun. And essentially is, just some old parts. But a new barrel. If you go to the main store, get there at opening, there is a guy that goes there most every day who is an authority on them and loves to help. He posts on the cmp forum about inventory each week. Buy some ammo, get your free range pass and drive the 20 minutes to the range and try it out. Don't forget the required forms of ID, not just a license and your proof of membership to an approved organazation. Check the CMP site for what you need. Good luck.
    airslot and bmcgilvray like this.

Do your home work . Search serial numbers for the one you want. Not all years are created equal .
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

My son has mentioned several times about going halves on an M1 with me, him figuring he'll end up with it anyhow at half price. I'm still waiting for him to show me the money.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I stopped in their shop/store a few years ago. I made it a point to see what they were all about. At the time, the inventory was very slim, but it was still worth the stop.

On the way to Anniston, I kept seeing billboards for "Shotgun Shooters Supply" advertising 3000 shotguns in stock. When I left the CMP, I went to check them out. Nice store with an impressive inventory and very friendly staff. They had 5.56 ammo stacked like cord wood still at "normal" pricing as well as a good supply of powder. When I returned the following week, I stocked up on both.

Make the trip. You won't regret it.
    msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and scottync like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

The trip to Anniston is well worth the ride; some years ago I had to make a run to Altus, OK so instead of taking I-40 I dropped down to I-20 in order to stop off in Anniston. As other have said the people there are very helpful and will answer any questions. I didn’t try the range but I purchased three Garands an M-1 carbine and 1000 rounds of 30/06. One other thing, be sure you take your birth certificate or passport to show proof of citizenship.
    scottync, airslot and bmcgilvray like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    One other thing, be sure you take your birth certificate or passport to show proof of citizenship.
    Does "real ID" qualify?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Does "real ID" qualify?
    That I do not know, I was there before the real ID was created.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links