SIlenced AK47 with Subsonic ammo... It works!

This is a discussion on SIlenced AK47 with Subsonic ammo... It works! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have a couple silencers, an Omega 9k pistol silencer and Omega 300 rifle silencer. I also have a WASR AK47. I decided it ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Chuck808
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By 380ACP
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: SIlenced AK47 with Subsonic ammo... It works!

So I have a couple silencers, an Omega 9k pistol silencer and Omega 300 rifle silencer. I also have a WASR AK47. I decided it was time to join them up when I saw that subsonic ammo is now a thing and its not outrageously expensive. Brown Bear makes it, and its available for $0.40/rd. I bought 3 boxes to give it a try.

The problem I had was that I wasnt sure if my AK had concentric threads. I could have bought a Geissele rod to test alignment, but its hard to justify $80 for a 30 cal steel rod that Im going to use one time. The decision was made, I was going to just risk a baffle strike. No guts, no glory! It made sense to me that if I started with my short pistol silencer, that has a 9mm bore, it would be much safer with a greater tolerance for error in the threading. I threaded it on (used a muzzle thread adapter because the Commies thread stuff backwards) with the 9k and took a shot. It seemed pretty quiet, flipped the gun around and took a look, the can was in one piece, free of holes!

So I loaded up a few more rounds and decided to try them to see if it would cycle. Some people report it wont cycle their gun, even with the added back pressure from a silencer. Not only did mine cycle with the silencer, I tried a handful of rounds without, and it cycled those perfectly as well. I dont have a fancy adjustable gas piston or anything, just a bone stock WASR AK.

I ran out of time at the range and couldnt try my Omega 300, but I dont forsee any issues. The ammo is Brown Bear, 196gr bullet. I only fired 20rds, but so far it was 100%. Pretty cool little novelty IMO. It is quite interesting shooting it, the gun feels entirely different. The action feels like its moving so slow, with the BCG barely even reaching the back of the action.

Everyone loves videos, so heres the first shots I took after the initial single round.

Wait! I can still hear it. Total failure.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ok I get the just because I can thing. But I have to ask why.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Ok I get the just because I can thing. But I have to ask why.
    Plenty of reasons, the round is good for home defense so thereís the obvious hearing protection angle.

Iíve actually already bought a suppressor for my WASR, Iím just waiting on the BATF approval. In the meantime Iíve got a dummy on just so I can get used to the difference in how it handles and the change in the aim point. Itís my hunting rifle, so again, the idea being to make it easier to shoot without hearing protection.

Same reason youíd suppress any gun, way I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    airslot and usmc0811 like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Your cash your gun , your life but none of that makes sense. The 7.62X39 is a mid range that is pretty good at kill up close.
    To go sub with it and 190Plus gr round is kind of silly. Darn thing looks nice , the thumb hole stock work well for some. You should try the Russian scope mount .
    380ACP likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Canít really speak to the effectiveness of the subsonic ammo, never personally tried it. Although the manufacturer states 1115 ft/s and 541 ft-lb at the muzzle, which is greater than most average handgun calibers but falls well short of any magnum, 300 BO, or 5.56. Effective enough but might not be the most sensical option.

Suppressed AKs definitely have merit, though. For me, Iíve been hunting with my WASR for years so it just makes more sense to me to keep tailoring it to my needs instead of trying to learn to make a new platform as familiar and natural to me as this one is. I did have the opportunity to Ďtry before I buyí with my new suppressor. I donít think anyone would call it quiet, but itís definitely a lot more tolerable. With my daughter about to start sitting with me on hunts, those extra decibels are worth the price. Sheís very excited about it and I wouldnít want to change that on the first pull!

Iíd love to try out one of the POSP scopes. If my Nikon keeps acting up I might have to see if I can snag one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Your cash your gun , your life but none of that makes sense. The 7.62X39 is a mid range that is pretty good at kill up close.
    To go sub with it and 190Plus gr round is kind of silly. Darn thing looks nice , the thumb hole stock work well for some. You should try the Russian scope mount .

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    sounds more like .22 now

Years ago, back in the 80's, a friend of mine bought a silenced Ruger 10/22 conversion. The conversion was done by a man in Victoria Tx ( as I recall) who, at that time, had some military related gunsmithing on his resume and offered a silenced barrel replacement for the Ruger. So, after doing the necessary Class 3 paperwork and waiting a few months, he picked up the rifle.

Several months later I was visiting him at his rural home and he gave me a demonstration of the 10/22. He loaded a round and, as I stood next to him to his right, he aimed downrange into the woods and pulled the trigger. All I heard was a click of the trigger mechanism. I asked him if he'd loaded a live round and he smiled and said yes. Then he asked me to step down range about 30 feet and 20 feet or so off to the right, which I did, and he fired another round. Then I heard zzzzzzz as the bullet flew down range.

He then disassembled the Ruger and revealed how the replacement barrel was drilled every few inches, wrapped in a fine wire mesh, then in a Nomex type covering, all contained inside the outer sleeve that resembled a full length bull barrel.

Accuracy was spot on too.

The whole thing is pretty much a novelty in this case. If I were to use it for defensive use, Iíd be rocking some full velocity 8M3 ammo or some Hornady SST or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    The whole thing is pretty much a novelty in this case. If I were to use it for defensive use, Iíd be rocking some full velocity 8M3 ammo or some Hornady SST or something similar.
    Thank you. An honest statement about the project. A good one not a darn thing to disagree when you put it that way.
    Chuck808 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Thank you. An honest statement about the project. A good one not a darn thing to disagree when you put it that way.
    Yeah, I donít get the whole subsonic rifle thing for defensive use, whether itís 7.62x39 or even 300 Blackout. If Iím having all the penalties of a full rifle like an AR or AK with a 10Ē+ barrel, you better believe I want a chunk of lead to be moving 2-3x the speed of sound.

Now if itís a super short compact PCC with like a 4-5Ē barrel shooting a pistol round designed to be effective at subsonic velocities, like a 147gr 9mm JHP or a 230gr 45acp JHP, thatís a different story.

Sponsored Links