New "Walking Varminter" (M7 REM)
I wanted to put together a "walking varmint rig" primarily for Coyote calling. Another primary use is for big-game hunting practice, so I wanted something set up like my hunting rigs VS a classic varmint rifle. I have been using my 3Gun AR15 for coyotes, but am switching back to a bolt gun. I've put together a REM SS M7 in .223 in an HS stock with Timney trigger, with LW Talley low mounts. (basically mirrors my .260Rem M7). I had wanted to mount a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8-36X from their custom shop, but the shop is still closed and the VX3i 2.5-8x36 was on back-order. So I went with a VX3i 3.5-10x40 with CDS. Cost a couple ounces and an inch in length. Total weight loaded is 7lbs, 5 ounces.
Last weekend I did barrel break-in and zero'd with a scratch load that I'd worked up for my AR15 using Varget, I simply increased the OAL to .020 off the lands of the M7. Then put 5 rds into .78" at 100 with the 1st shot a clean bore. 4rds were in .43". It even put 3 rds of my 62grn Hornady FMJ "3Gun" load sub-MOA while cleaning after each shot during break-in. Once the seasons over I'll work some real load development.
Had it out this am shooting at 200 & 300. No issues staying on an 8" plate at 300 either prone off back-pack or sitting off sticks. Top of the bottom duplex gets me 305yds or I just click in 2.5MOA on the CDS. I think it's going to work out. New walking varminter:
One of the best parts.....looks like the barrel break-in worked. I used a combination of Sweets, then JB Bore Paste. Before firing the 1st shot I ran several tight patches using JB. Then performed the cleaning after each shot for 10rds, then after each group for two 3 shot groups. Cleaned the gun today after 20rds using just Sweets and no copper after just 2 wet patches, no brushing.