AR15: Oil or Grease? - Page 4

AR15: Oil or Grease?

This is a discussion on AR15: Oil or Grease? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 Interesting to hear. I have always been told not to use WD40 on firearms. Yeah, i just "fixed" a friends revolver. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: AR15: Oil or Grease?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Interesting to hear. I have always been told not to use WD40 on firearms.
    Yeah, i just "fixed" a friends revolver. He sprayed it down well with WD-40 and left it in a closet for a year or two. It was locked up tighter than.. well it was locked up tighter than something that locks up tight.

I sprayed it well with some gun scrubber and worked and worked and finally got it open to where I could give it a goooood cleaning.

Never again.
    Tundra5.7 and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtimm View Post
    Yeah, i just "fixed" a friends revolver. He sprayed it down well with WD-40 and left it in a closet for a year or two. It was locked up tighter than.. well it was locked up tighter than something that locks up tight.

I sprayed it well with some gun scrubber and worked and worked and finally got it open to where I could give it a goooood cleaning.

Never again.
    WD-40 failed me miserably in WA state many years ago. For a water repellant, it sure allowed a lot of rust. I also had an issue with gummy Breakfree CLP. Both products are off my list of suitable products.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Bacon grease

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrtimm View Post

Never again.

I have a friend that uses it on his turkey hunting pump shotguns and swears by it. Myself and numerous others have told him WD-40 should not be used on firearms but he just scoffs at us. I'm really surprised he has never had an issue.

I have a friend that uses it on his turkey hunting pump shotguns and swears by it. Myself and numerous others have told him WD-40 should not be used on firearms but he just scoffs at us. I'm really surprised he has never had an issue.
    It is good for its intended purpose. If you come in from the rain and spray your gun down with WD-40 it will displace the water. If your car will not start because water got into the distributor, a spay inside and it will start. It is not a preservative or a lubricant per se.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

I have heard that technically, WD-40 is not an oil as we think of it but a Water Displacement (hence WD). It acts as a very light oil but it does not seem to last like a regular oil.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    If you think things are bad for you, Remember there is a Mr. Pelosi!
    Duct Tape may not fix stupid but it sure can muffle the sound! :D
    It isnít the first person who fires who wins gun fights, but is usually the first person to land effective hits.

^ This is true
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    S&W M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9
    Kel-Tec KSG - S&W M686+

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    It is good for its intended purpose. If you come in from the rain and spray your gun down with WD-40 it will displace the water. If your car will not start because water got into the distributor, a spay inside and it will start. It is not a preservative or a lubricant per se.
    I can remember having to do that a couple times on my old Trans Am. Wonder how many of the younger crowd even know what a distributor is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    I have heard that technically, WD-40 is not an oil as we think of it but a Water Displacement (hence WD). It acts as a very light oil but it does not seem to last like a regular oil.
    The main ingredient is kerosene.
    Sportymonk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    The main ingredient is kerosene.
    If it does in fact contain kerosene, then maybe that is one of the reasons I have found it to work well at removing tar from car paint. On a side note, my grandpa was a fireman in a rural part of VA after WW2. He used to talk about how the fireman would use kerosene to clean the tar off the fire trucks.
    Bad Bob, 5lima30ret and airslot like this.

If it does in fact contain kerosene, then maybe that is one of the reasons I have found it to work well at removing tar from car paint. On a side note, my grandpa was a fireman in a rural part of VA after WW2. He used to talk about how the fireman would use kerosene to clean the tar off the fire trucks.
    Yup, too many people think it's lube, its a water displacement agent. My Dad was an engineer and one time told me the story.
    airslot and bmcgilvray like this.

I would never use WD-40 on a firearm. It does work very well for removing stickers & tape residue. It is also pretty good at cleaning love-bugs off the front of your car.
    airslot likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Grease holds fine dirt ,sand metal shaving and over time will act like rubbing compound. Ok to use on some parts of an AR if it is cleaned often Oil does better at lubing them. As other said WD40 is not really a lube. It can help remove oil is cleaning.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Grease holds fine dirt ,sand metal shaving and over time will act like rubbing compound. Ok to use on some parts of an AR if it is cleaned often Oil does better at lubing them. As other said WD40 is not really a lube. It can help remove oil is cleaning.

Moly wheel bearing grease or alg go juice grease on the trigger and hammer where they mate up. Also use the grease on the bottom of the bolt carrier group where it rubs on the hammer.

I put 1 drop of 3in1 Teflon oil in the little hole in the carrier to lube the bolt.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I would never use WD-40 on a firearm. It does work very well for removing stickers & tape residue. It is also pretty good at cleaning love-bugs off the front of your car.
    A pack of cheap store-brand dryer softener sheets works better and smells better too!
    5lima30ret and Tundra5.7 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links