Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.?

This is a discussion on Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering the purchase of a .22 rifle to use for a variety of purposes. I want something that could be used as a ...

View Poll Results: Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • CZ455 (many variants) bolt action

8 15.09%
  • Henry Big Boy

1 1.89%
  • Ruger 10-22

30 56.60%
  • Ruger American Rimfire bolt action

3 5.66%
  • Other?

11 20.75%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.?

I am considering the purchase of a .22 rifle to use for a variety of purposes. I want something that could be used as a survival rifle, hunting rifle (turkeys, rabbits, squirrels), and practice rifle. I will almost certainly put a scope on it. I've narrowed it down to four different possibilities:

• CZ455 bolt gun (there are a number of variants)
    • Ruger 10-22 (many variants)
    • Henry Big Boy
    • Ruger American Rimfire bolt gun

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations with specific reasons as to why you might suggest a particular brand/model.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

No question 10/22 take down in magpull stock either hunter or survival ( which has spare mag room ) .. Easy to take down the magpul stock and stuff is amazing ..And over 10 round mags are cheep and they work ....

If one was looking for a strictly survival rifle no question AR-7 model henry .. As it fits in the stock and floats but limited on mags and to me is strictly a gun for survial/bug not a fun range gun

The other guns are great but to me survival speaks to compact and over 10 round mags ... The ones you listed are all cracker jack hunting guns and target rifles ..But for survival gun I would want a take down semi auto with more then 5 or 10 rounds in the mags ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Did you mean Henry Golden Boy? The Big Boy is in .357, .44, & .45LC
    unless there is new model that I am not aware of. BTW, my other choice would be the Henry H-OO1. I love mine!

*edit: the Henry can shoot CB caps, shorts, longs, and long rifle and even shot loads with 100% reliability which most autos will not do. For survival, reliability w/ a variety of loads is more important to me than being able to shoot in semi-auto mode.
    G26Raven, matthew03 and BamaT like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My vote goes with the 10-22, it's an excellent all around rifle and if you want to go full Barbie there is a ton of after market accessories to turn it into anything you want.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Did you mean Henry Golden Boy?
    Yes.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Mike Tyson

https://ruger.com/products/1022Taked...ets/21188.html
    https://ruger.com/products/1022Taked...ets/21189.html

Either one of these two I would really push for

I really like the hunter stock one .Very comffy
    Pete63, airslot and G26Raven like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If you want accuracy, get a CZ455 bolt-action.
    If you want a versatile Barbie gun, get a Ruger 10-22.
    If you want a fun plinker, get a Henry.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I voted for the CZ, but I also have a couple of 10/22's.

One of the most accurate 22's you can buy for a reasonable amount of money. CZ 452 Varmit

Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.?-cz452-varmint.jpg

One of the best versions of 10/22. Volquartsen SF-1 (mine is almost exactly like this one, but the stock is a different color combination). It has a carbon fiber barrel, match receiver and is light as a feather.

Which .22 rifle for survival, practice, hunting, etc.?-volquartsen-10-22.jpg

Wally World Special. This is an oddball you may not be able to find easily, but is one of the best versions of the 10/22. It has a long sight base (24 inch barrel? IIRC) for iron sights. It used to be sold exclusively through WalMart, but I think now you would have to look for one for sale by owner. They had a much longer barrel than a standard 10/22. Otherwise, they were the same.

I can't even find a good photo of one.

Don't overlook the Savage models in your considerations.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Ruger 10/22 take down. Easy to store, fun to shoot, and lots of accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pete63, G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Using Tapatalk

What rifle do you hunt with? Bolt, Semi, lever, or,....
    I personally like a bolt action, It's also what I shoot most in centerfire. But any of the above will do what you are asking.
    I also like the Marlin 60 semi autos. They are tube fed, and don't have a mag sticking down or poking me in the back while carrying it. I have an older one with an 18 round mag. If I had to pick one off your list it would be the CZ. They are good shooters, great looking, and I have seen some come with spectacular wood! I also would not turn down a 10-22.
    If you plan to scope it I would avoid the Henry Golden Boy. It has a deep drop in its stock to better use open sights. The Classic and Frontier models, don't have that deep drop. Personally I like the Frontier model best. it has the octagon barrel and is slightly longer. Good Luck.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    I've got several 10/22's. One with folding stock, set up for survival/hunting. As others have mentioned, it's the equivalent of an AR, in what you can do with them. I think I'd buy a "take down model" also, if I didn't own so many .22's already!
    G26Raven, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    What rifle do you hunt with? Bolt, Semi, lever, or,....
    All the game I have taken I got with bolt actions, a Remington and a Bergara. But last year I bought a Barrett AR10 which I carried during hunting season, but did not have an opportunity to shoot. I really am comfortable with either a bolt action or semi-auto platform. I've had the opportunity to shoot a lever action, but never owned one.
    Pete63, msgt/ret, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Mike Tyson

The CZ's are very popular, people I know are doing some fairly amazing things with them out past 300yards with subsonic match ammo. They are better at that shooting discipline than I am, but not that much better, those rifles can outright shoot. I've shot the 457 Trainer in the Manners Stock, it's fantastic, the stock upgrade's extra cost is worth every penny.

At the very high end of precision rimfire is Voodoo Gun Works, I seen people out with their guns, not in my future, but those people can run a rimfire.

I have a Tactical Solutions X, but I had to restock it to a Victor, due to the Hogue Overmold being way too short for me prone (the Hogue is excellent as a walking around gun). They make a tighter tolerance 10-22, I'm very fond of their guns.

Outside of backpacking I'll never understand why the 10-22 take downs are popular, if you break it down you zero will shift. Although I guess it's all in what's acceptable, any shift in zero does not work for me.
    G26Raven and dangerranger like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Find a NRL22 match nearby, they are popping up everywhere and are a lot of fun.
    airslot, G26Raven and gasmitty like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    10/22...it's the gold standard for a reason

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links