What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? - Page 3

What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

This is a discussion on What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; When I got married 28 years ago this Saturday, a stepdaughter aged six was a part of the package. I love her so much. She's ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

Cool Teaching Kids About Firearms

When I got married 28 years ago this Saturday, a stepdaughter aged six was a part of the package. I love her so much. She's in her 30's now and happily married with a five month old daughter herself. I started teaching her SAFETY right away. When I came home from the range or an IDPA match, I'd sit her down with me and have her help me clean everything. In this way I taught her proper nomenclature. Like how a magazine isn't a CLIP. It wasn't until around age 10 that I taught her to shoot. Back then she had a very close friend whose dad was a buddy of mine and a big hunter and NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (as I was but for way longer than him, unfortunately he's been deceased for many years now) and we'd all go to the range together. By the time she was 14 she could handle a full house .357 magnum load. When she graduated college, she made it known she wanted my SIG P226 but as long as she had roommates who weren't trained, I nixed that idea. Then she started working in NYC and later got married and still in NYC. So that's all on hold until she moves someplace more gun friendly. I have some pics of her firing the Sig on the line. I think these were taken while she was still in college and home on vacation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?-50-590-442.jpeg  

What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?-50-590-442.jpeg  

Attached Images  
    joker1 and Sister like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 30 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patron Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor.

When mine were about 3 , I took them out and shot .... I wanted them to have some fear about it.... the noise, watching things blow to pieces, etc. Mainly to teach them, these are not "play" guns and are serious. I taught them not to touch one, not to play with one, etc. As they got a bit older 7 yrs old, they began shooting rifles ..... then progress from there ... based upon their maturity, etc.
    Sister likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsor
    I believe it very much depends on the kid. Safety training comes for at least a couple of years. Past that, if the child is obedient and takes commands well during safety training then they are probably old enough. I started my kids on a bb gun at ages 6-8. A year after that a .22 was introduced.
    Proud to be a Bitter Clinger

Absolute Concealment Holsters

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ClingerHolsters View Post
    I believe it very much depends on the kid. Safety training comes for at least a couple of years. Past that, if the child is obedient and takes commands well during safety training then they are probably old enough. I started my kids on a bb gun at ages 6-8. A year after that a .22 was introduced.
    My first lesson was with a .22 rifle. My dad got excited because I hit the target every time, my next birthday, I got a Red Rider BB gun! For my 12th Christmas present, I got a Mossburg 16 ga. Bolt action shotgun.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Excellent question! If there are guns in the home and gundis are often carried by family members for self defense then the child should be introduced to gun safety ASAP. Since my own sons were old enough to play with their Nerf Guns, they were introduced to practical gun safety. Stay started shooting at the age of ten - give or take a year.

Excellent question! If there are guns in the home and guns are often carried by family members for self defense then the child should be introduced to gun safety ASAP. Since my own sons were old enough to play with their Nerf Guns, they were introduced to practical gun safety. They started shooting at the age of ten - give or take a year.

Mine were taught from day 1 not to touch dads guns and so has my grandson. He is 3 1/2 and has his first bb gun. Training has been under way for a while.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I haven't posted here in awhile. Mr Administrator: message for you! You do not need to start a conversation to get the ball rolling. FOlks here can already do that. And please do not tell me that you actually have an interest in the subject. You do not. You and the other admins of other sites try to generate conversation which means revenue for you and your company. You and your cohorts are trying to make this forum into a side show.

Yes, I follow you and the admins on the other forums you have bought. Do not even try to to hide the fact that is what you are doing. It is. It is plain to see and easy to prove.

Cricket, for example, with her starting the stupidest threads on Woodworking Talk. Need I go further. Yes, you will still make revenue. But anyone with half a brain can see where you are going with this tactic.

Why do you not just be an admin and sit on the sidelines and let the members decide what topics they want to start.

You guys are doing this crap on every forum yo have bought. This is NOT Facebook or twitter.

Thank you for your time
    jttar and Sister like this.

My dad taught me to shoot when I was 8 years old. Started with a 22 rifle.

That was in 1958.

We lived in Arizona. He took me to an nra safety training class.

Now I live in California where no one teaches kids gun safety.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

This has always been a prickly subject because there is no pat one-size-fits-all answer.
    I started my sons at about ages 6 or 7 after time spent with me at the range and in the field, so they understood that real guns are not toys (and here adults must be admonished for repeatedly referring to new firearms as "new toys." I personally find that kind of remark offensively stupid. Guns are not toys.)

By the time my boys were 10 years old, they were both good shots, had their own .22 rifles and were in the junior shooting program at our local gun range where I was a board member and then officer.

And here's where being a responsible parent comes into play. Parents should be smart enough to know when their own kids reach a degree of maturity and understanding to handle firearms. It's a gentle learning curve. Encouraged, not berated. Every paper target with a hole in it is a trophy for the kid, same as if he/she catches a 7-inch trout on opening day. "Good job!" not "Well that's kind of dinky."

But that's just me.

Children's Gun Safety

Gun safety is a very important lesson for children to learn as soon as they are able. There are too many accidental shootings involving children who find a firearm and are curious or think it is a toy. If parents would teach there children at an early age a majority of these shootings could be prevented. It is like any other life lesson that parents teach there children. Parents teach there children that kitchen knives are sharp and you shouldn't play with them, they teach them that the stove is hot and not to touch it yet a lot of parents do not discuss gun safety with their children. It is important to teach children about gun safety even if the home does not have a gun. Children could be sleeping over at a friends house and find a gun and they need to know what to do. Once the child is older parents can start teaching them about guns and how to handle them. Gun safety is a very important lesson whether you are a child or an adult. If your child is properly informed they can make the right decision on how to handle a situation involving a firearm.

Matt
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 30th, 2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Non-Sponsor Advertising

As a young adult I don't think I have a worthy opinion for sharing, but this is a great discussion so far, and I'm happy it was brought up.

I do not think that there is an "AGE" cut off, it will depend on the maturity of the person and the ability to comprehend and practice safe firearm handling. I have seen and taught children as young as 8 and they was just fine. Then I have seen many 40 year old children that was a waist of time.

Immediately, if not sooner. My daughter learned firearm safety at 3 and began shooting a .22 Cricket at 6. Here's her at 7, shooting .223 with an AR-15...
    Sister likes this.

Senior Member Array OlympicViking's Avatar
    Short answer: as early as possible. Firearm safety should start being taught in conjunction with "stranger danger". Start by teaching your child to never pick up a gun unless YOU are present and say it's okay.

From there, once the kid is ready, teach him how to shoot a .22 at the range. I began shooting when I was 4 or 5 years old; I had to sit on my uncle's lap in order to see through the scope on the 10/22 and reach the trigger.
    Sister likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links