What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? - Page 5

What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

This is a discussion on What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I don't think a set age is appropriate or viable. Each child progresses at a different rate. As soon as they are able to distinguish ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

I don't think a set age is appropriate or viable. Each child progresses at a different rate. As soon as they are able to distinguish what danger is (hot stove, poisonous, etc) would be a good time. Unless they are curious enough to ask, then answer their question simply and honestly, without information overload please. You are going to have to make sure that they understand the difference between danger and bad. An item can hurt you but the item isn't bad. Firearms can be dangerous, but, they are not bad. The whole situation is explained in simple terms, questions asked and answered, as appropriate to the childs level of understanding.

Of course if there are children in the house you had better be a total safety obsessed parent. If the child asks honestly explain why.
    Thorian likes this.

As soon as they are old enough to be curious. Actually, as soon as they start watching you. Mine started very young. They watched me handle my guns, and I would talk to them about what I was doing. Then, they could help me clean then, then shoot them, then, finally, OK, the loaded ones are here, here, and here. But every time they touched one, we went over the rules. If they put it down, even for a few seconds, they had to visually check it, because you never what those pesky gun gremlins would do.

If you have guns in the house, the safety training should start very early.

I was taught starting at about 5 or 6. We used my big brother's .22 rifle. I didn't get my first .22 revolver until I was 10.
    Sister likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Certainly this would have to be based on the maturity of the child, so I would tend to think that when the child is mature enough to know what a gun is capable of and responsible enough to respect that.
    airslot likes this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

I agree, my 8yoa son is more curious and involved with guns (Savage .17HMR) than my 11yoa son who is all about Fortnite and could care less about a gun. I leave the older one inside and let the youngster go shoot targets.
    Sister likes this.

Soon as they can understand what you're telling them. Sooner than later.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Yup....one of my boys was hunting with me at the age of 10 with a smoothbore flinter before he tried center fire ammo .......when the boys were 6 we we're shootin' targets on the property with pellet rifles...that's how they started.
    Sister likes this.
    All I want is Whiskey twice my age......served by a woman half my age.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    My son and his wife blessed my wife and I; with 2 beautiful grandchildren. A girl (5 yrs old) and a boy (2 yrs old).

They lived with us for the past 8 months as they were transitioning back to VA from FL until they recently moved into their own home. As a result of being with us during that period of time, I noticed my grandkids curiosity about my firearms when they saw me putting it out of their reach. My daughter-in-law then said; "You need to teach them about guns and gun safety Dad! I want them to learn from you and not be afraid of them." So, ever since then, I share bits and pieces here and there about guns and gun safety when my grandkids are visiting.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Agree with JD. Training starts on day 1, or rather the day YOU first own a gun and begin to practice safety yourself. Kids learn more from modeling than instruction. Combined works best. Little snippets as you handle the gun, "Never point the muzzle at something you don't want to destroy," as you pick it up, "Finger off the trigger," as you holster and unholster.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Very young. I grew up with guns in the home, I knew enough to ask if I wanted to see something, not to ever open the gun cabinet on my own.

I wasn't allowed to use handguns until I was much older, but once I proved I could be safe I had full use of a Red Ryder maybe 7 years old, by 10 I was going afield with .22's and shot guns, maybe 12 or 13 I got a deer rifle.
    xXxHeavy likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I taught my oldest daughter to safely shoot a .22 rifle when she was 9 years old. When she turned 12 she moved up to my .308 and a 12 gauge shotgun. She now has a .22 pistol, a single shot 12 gauge and a Winchester modle 70 .308.

My youngest daughter had no interest in firearms. She now lives in England and all my grand kids live over there.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links