What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? - Page 6

What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

This is a discussion on What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; I'm not sure there's one answer to that. I believe that age appropriate training should be given depending on what stage the child is at. ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: What Age Should Children Be Taught Firearms Safety?

I'm not sure there's one answer to that. I believe that age appropriate training should be given depending on what stage the child is at.

Having said that, children have poor impulse control and all the training in the world won't change that.*

Research indicates the human brain, specifically the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain that processes rational thought, doesn't fully develop until approximately 25 years of age.

Granted, some develop earlier some later but in general a juvenile's world is*ruled*by their amygdala. That's the part of the brain that tells the kid (against all better judgement and training) that it's OK to sneak out of the house and steal dad's car.*

Train the kid but lock up the guns.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...ContentID=3051
    graydude, M1911A1 and Hoganbeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    From the womb.
    Excellent advice. I have a grandson on the way who's not only learning gun safety... but also getting a leg up on the caliber war. ;)
    gatorbait51 and airslot like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Yup.
    My daughter said the same to me about her daughter, last time they were here to visit.
    But my granddaughter wasn't quite ready yet, so we've put it off for a year.

You have a very realistic and thoughtful daughter-in-law.
    Please give her my applause.
    Thank you! My family sees my love and respect for firearms. They see how much I shoot and love my talks about gun safety. Whenever my grandchildren are over my pieces are locked in the safe but one is always close by and way out of their reach just in case something jumps off (strangers at the door etc.) that needs my immediate attention.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

New Member Array Jac0b_l3v3ring's Avatar
    I was taught at a very young age, I cant exactly remember, but I became curious when I saw my grandfather shooting and I asked him about it and he went over the rules of firearm safety and let me shoot his .22, my answer I guess would be shoot in front of them and if they ask about it teach them, if it doesn't really spark an interest try bringing it up to them and see what they think and if it does interest them talking about firearms in general let them shoot get a feel for shooting after teaching them firearm safety of course
    airslot likes this.

In my opinion, it depends on the maturity level of kids. Mayhap, one kid would be fully mature for it at the age of 15. Yes, in his teenage. However, others couldn't do the same. In my opinion, for normal kids, we should wait for 25 because according to medical experts, the frontal lobe of the brain fully develops at the age of 25.

I started teaching my son and oldest grandson early. About 6 or 7. Next oldest grandson, well, he just turned 6, and I have the feeling it'll be a few years yet, he has a bit of attention issues. The youngest is 3, so we will see on him. The granddaughter, well, I'll see if she has any interest, and if so, at 9, she is easily mature enough.
    airslot likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links