Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 14

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by 1911srule Its not an issue thankfully with most people I've communicated with who CCW. BUT there are those out there with that ...

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Its not an issue thankfully with most people I've communicated with who CCW. BUT there are those out there with that mindset. Again its just MY opinion. I accept the fact there are certain places we cannot CCW. I'm OK with a college campus being one of them. So burn me at the stake I don't care...
    I won't burn you at the stake so to speak because of your opinion...I WILL burn you at the stake for that completely disparaging ignorant comment you mad about "wearing a super hero cape" and CCW.
    SteveMac and Chicagobill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    I won't burn you at the stake so to speak because of your opinion...I WILL burn you at the stake for that completely disparaging ignorant comment you mad about "wearing a super hero cape" and CCW.
    Ok it may not apply to whom it was directed, BUT it is most definitely a mindset we encounter in some people. He ticked me off so I may have taken it a little overboard I admit. He assumed so I reacted with the same. Oh well. We have more important things to get riled about without turning on each other. I stand by my opinion that college campuses should not have CCW. It is one of the few places we shouldn't, as for the remainder I encourage it...

Thumbs up In My Opinion...

I do believe that people who have some form of license to carry a handgun should be allowed to carry a gun on a college campus. I don't honestly understand why there have been numerous college shootings and yet there are people out there who think that NOT allowing concealed carry on a campus will make things safer. The more good people with guns that you have on a college campus, the less amount of people that are on the campus will get hurt or killed. If you have more good people with guns on campus, there is a much higher percentage that the assailant will run into someone with a LTC and get taken out quicker. In turn, preventing deaths. If we can get more law abiding citizens to carry and get the news out, there may be a slight chance that crime will drop. Because if the criminals hear "Oh no! Lots of people are carrying guns right now but we don't know who." then they may be more willing to not do anything at the risk of getting shot by someone with a concealed handgun. That's my opinion. If I made any statement that was wrong, feel free to correct me. I allow constructive criticism..

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You wanna CCW on campus wearing your super hero cape. Go for it.
    Why am I wearing a super hero cape just because Im not supportive of a right that I either have, or dont have, depending on which side of the street Im standing on?

Ok it may not apply to whom it was directed, BUT it is most definitely a mindset we encounter in some people. He ticked me off so I may have taken it a little overboard I admit. He assumed so I reacted with the same. Oh well. We have more important things to get riled about without turning on each other. I stand by my opinion that college campuses should not have CCW. It is one of the few places we shouldn't, as for the remainder I encourage it...
    I asked a simple question. You said people shouldnt be able to carry on campus because of faith in judgement issues. Then you said they should be able to carry off campus. I questioned the logic in that. There are a lot of young kids on campus who are not even old enough to carry a handgun, and there are a lot of teachers, and administrators who are older, and are there for no other reason than to work and earn a paycheck, then they go home. They have no interest in any of the partying that goes on(and even occurs off campus). I am much older than most college students and thinking about starting school again in a year or two, and I have also carried a gun quite regularly for several years, and you just said I shouldnt be able to carry to class because of a lack of faith in judgement.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    As a student who goes to a two year extension, I fail to see why I shouldn't be able to carry on campus. Almost nobody old enough to carry lives in college dorms, and those who do are very unlikely to ever consider carrying a firearm.

The individuals my age who I know carry do not indulge in drugs and do not carry when drinking alcohol. At the age of 21, house parties ("alcohol and drug environment") are just about a thing of the past and hitting the bars is the norm. When I go out drinking, my firearm stays locked up in the truck or at home. It is illegal to carry and consume in this state.

I go to school, learn, and leave. This armed security nonsense will only increase my tuition, which is already on the rise. Why can't I just rely on myself for protection? If I'm going to use my firearm, odds are (at both my current school and the one I intend to transfer to) it will be between the front door and my truck. I very much doubt this armed security is going to follow me to my truck.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Yes. Why? Because it gives good guys permission to carry on campus. Nothing currently stops bad guys from bringing guns to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Why am I wearing a super hero cape just because Im not supportive of a right that I either have, or dont have, depending on which side of the street Im standing on?

I asked a simple question. You said people shouldnt be able to carry on campus because of faith in judgement issues. Then you said they should be able to carry off campus. I questioned the logic in that. There are a lot of young kids on campus who are not even old enough to carry a handgun, and there are a lot of teachers, and administrators who are older, and are there for no other reason than to work and earn a paycheck, then they go home. They have no interest in any of the partying that goes on(and even occurs off campus). I am much older than most college students and thinking about starting school again in a year or two, and I have also carried a gun quite regularly for several years, and you just said I shouldnt be able to carry to class because of a lack of faith in judgement.
    You should go back and carefully re-read my posts on this...

Senior Member Array Captains1911's Avatar
    What other places are you so willingly ok with surrendering your rights? What is so different about college campuses that you feel this way?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Sharpshooter, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

You should go back and carefully re-read my posts on this...
    Other people seem to be interpreting it the same way.

Distinguished Member
    IMHO...NO , not on campus. But YES to off campus housing(other than frat houses) and also allow in their personal vehicles wherever it is parked. Call it lack of faith in their judgment as a whole and the whole alcohol, drug environment problem. I also believe armed security SHOULD be on campus. Just my opinion, not gonna debate it...
    Did you really expect a different response? And no matter your answer you can't take the responses personally!

"I am going to try and not sound too harsh and you are entitled to your opinion

Unless everyone stands up and refuses to allow our rights to be taken, it will continue to occur."

This will always be the scourge of our debates here. It is important to us all. We are tired of our rights being, judged, taken away, tampered with by people who think they know better. Just because they feel they are wearing a cape and have to protect us from ourselves. You see both sides can be accused of wearing a cape.

My children who are in college are absolutely responsible enough to carry on campuses. But today certain individuals have judged they should not. What if those same people knocked on your door and took your guns because they decided your mind was not heathy enough to allow you to have guns in your possession.

Once we allow our rights to be infringed it never stops. It only gets easier for the next infringement to win. It is shocking when members here do not stand up against infringements. This is not Disney . Com after all. Nothing personal.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

This fall is my first semester back in college after a few years away. I truly wish I was able to carry my weapon for the sole fact of how big of a turkey shoot it would be in some of my classrooms.

Here's an example. Lecture hall with a gradual rising floor to the back of the room. 500 seats in the hall. 300 students in my class. The teacher will not use a microphone so everyone crowds the front of the room so they can hear the teacher. 2 single doors in the back of the room that EVERYONE enters and leaves out of. 2 single emergency exit doors in the front on opposite sides of the room that lead outside to hidden areas no one walks by on the outside. See how bad this could get?

If someone knew they were going to do something awful...they come at night before class the next morning. Secure the front emergency exit doors however they see fit (welding, bolting, etc.) Next morning they show up for class. Waiting til halfway through the lecture to make sure no one else is coming in. They close and seal one of the back doors. There is now ONE door for 300 people to try escape out of and the bad guy is standing is said door unloading whatever firearms he brought with him. The 200 seats closest to him were empty. So he has plenty of room to shoot without having anyone jump him right away. Estimated casualties before the bad guy gets overrun? Probably atleast 100+ if he knows how to handle a firearm and do quick magazine changes.

There are only 10 campus police officers that patrol campus during the day. Campus is almost 2 square miles. Reaction time is nowhere near fast enough unless they happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I gave an introductory speech the other day to my small group classmates (30 students plus a teacher) about concealed carry and how gun free zones simply do not work. I opened with a question asking how many of them have noticed that I have my pistol concealed underneath my shirt right now? (I wasn't actually carrying)....BUT, every one of them either dropped a jaw or got bug eyes out of shock/fear...one girl actually started to run out of the room before the teacher stopped her. (I had gotten permission to use this question from my teacher before starting the speech.) Before my speech I truly don't think 80% of them even knew concealed carry existed. They had never given a thought as to what they would do if a bad guy turned up with a gun while they are in class or realized how much safer they would be if good guys could carry on campus legally. They just sat there frozen.
    gasmitty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BackcountryGuy View Post
    This fall is my first semester back in college after a few years away. I truly wish I was able to carry my weapon for the sole fact of how big of a turkey shoot it would be in some of my classrooms.

Here's an example. Lecture hall with a gradual rising floor to the back of the room. 500 seats in the hall. 300 students in my class. The teacher will not use a microphone so everyone crowds the front of the room so they can hear the teacher. 2 single doors in the back of the room that EVERYONE enters and leaves out of. 2 single emergency exit doors in the front on opposite sides of the room that lead outside to hidden areas no one walks by on the outside. See how bad this could get?

If someone knew they were going to do something awful...they come at night before class the next morning. Secure the front emergency exit doors however they see fit (welding, bolting, etc.) Next morning they show up for class. Waiting til halfway through the lecture to make sure no one else is coming in. They close and seal one of the back doors. There is now ONE door for 300 people to try escape out of and the bad guy is standing is said door unloading whatever firearms he brought with him. The 200 seats closest to him were empty. So he has plenty of room to shoot without having anyone jump him right away. Estimated casualties before the bad guy gets overrun? Probably atleast 100+ if he knows how to handle a firearm and do quick magazine changes.

There are only 10 campus police officers that patrol campus during the day. Campus is almost 2 square miles. Reaction time is nowhere near fast enough unless they happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I gave an introductory speech the other day to my small group classmates (30 students plus a teacher) about concealed carry and how gun free zones simply do not work. I opened with a question asking how many of them have noticed that I have my pistol concealed underneath my shirt right now? (I wasn't actually carrying)....BUT, every one of them either dropped a jaw or got bug eyes out of shock/fear...one girl actually started to run out of the room before the teacher stopped her. (I had gotten permission to use this question from my teacher before starting the speech.) Before my speech I truly don't think 80% of them even knew concealed carry existed. They had never given a thought as to what they would do if a bad guy turned up with a gun while they are in class or realized how much safer they would be if good guys could carry on campus legally. They just sat there frozen.
    Good speech introduction, I like it!

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, my opinion will not change. Maybe I was to vague. I'm not gonna write a book on every aspect. One point of clarification, I was addressing college kids on college campuses, residing on college property. NOT the same as a person taking night classes at a community college residing elsewhere. Apples and oranges.

Senior Member Array Captains1911's Avatar
    I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, my opinion will not change. Maybe I was to vague. I'm not gonna write a book on every aspect. One point of clarification, I was addressing college kids on college campuses, residing on college property. NOT the same as a person taking night classes at a community college residing elsewhere. Apples and oranges.
    You realize college campus carry isn't really about college students, right?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Sharpshooter, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    You realize college campus carry isn't really about college students, right?
    My main concern was storage and security of the firearm on college property.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links