Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 15

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by 1911srule My main concern was storage and security of the firearm on college property. Well, if you are legally allowed to carry ...

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Senior Member Array Captains1911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    My main concern was storage and security of the firearm on college property.
    Well, if you are legally allowed to carry it, then you really shouldn't have much need to store it.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Sharpshooter, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    Well, if you are legally allowed to carry it, then you really shouldn't have much need to store it.
    IMHO that is unrealistic. At some point it will be left in their room. Here's just one other consideration , how many foreign students residing there that have no citizenship/ 2A rights would have easy access? Think there all non militant? Is there or is there not a problem with the prevalence of alcohol and drugs on our college campuses? Ever live in close proximity with hundreds of kids in that age group? It wouldn't take long before everyone and their brother knew who had firearms. There are valid considerations. On a college campus IMHO it makes more sense given all the concerns just to have campus police manned up and armed up. I said before if they reside off campus other than a frat house, then fine.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Not all college campuses have a drug or alcohol problem. I very much doubt BYU has a drug or alcohol problem. My college certainly does not have a drug or alcohol problem. Perhaps there are a few individuals who drink or do illicit drugs on campus, but it certainly isn't prevalent. You want the rights of all taken away because the actions of a few? Treading thin ice there.

Again, (really can't stress this enough) people who are of age to carry are very unlikely to still be living on campus, let alone in a dorm. I actually know of an individual who owns a handful of handguns and lives with a bunch of roommates off campus (not a frat house, but I fail to see the difference). He keeps them locked up in a cheap Stack-On in his closet. So far so good.

My little campus cannot afford to have campus police, so that in my honest opinion is unrealistic.

Edit: So this entire time you've been arguing against someone being able to store a firearm on campus and not CARRY on campus? Or both? Which one is it?
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

IMHO that is unrealistic. At some point it will be left in their room. Here's just one other consideration , how many foreign students residing there that have no citizenship/ 2A rights would have easy access? Think there all non militant? Is there or is there not a problem with the prevalence of alcohol and drugs on our college campuses? Ever live in close proximity with hundreds of kids in that age group? It wouldn't take long before everyone and their brother knew who had firearms. There are valid considerations. On a college campus IMHO it makes more sense given all the concerns just to have campus police manned up and armed up. I said before if they reside off campus other than a frat house, then fine.
    You should really go back to "not gonna debate it". Lol. Unrealistic?? Let's talk about unrealistic... You seriously believe that everyone on a college campus should be disarmed, because radical Islamists (or militant foreign students, or whatever) might be able to find a gun on one?
    There are valid considerations.
    (rofl) Maybe there are, but THAT is not one. If anything that is an argument FOR carrying in class. so much fail, it hurts.

Why do you people fixate on visions of armed drunk or drugged up teenagers? It's not realistic. It's not about college kids. Why should the teacher be disarmed? or the Admins? Because college kids drink at night, everyone in a 2 mile radius should abandon all hope of self defense? That's senseless! CHP holders are arguably the most responsible population of people that exist in this country. And that's who we are talking about... NOT college kids, CHP holders. Not late-night party goers, CHP holders. Not drug users, CHP holders. Are we not saying it right?? CHP holders. Maybe you don't know that many, but of all the ones I know (others can back me up), nobody is leaving their guns unsecured. And none would live in the dorms. We take our safety seriously. I'll tell you what. Go out and find me a CHP who stays in a dorm on campus, and the three of us can hash out whether or not they should be 'allowed' to keep a gun in their room. If your imaginings were a reality, it would be a problem in those states where campus carry is already permitted. Where's the smoking gun? Where's the blood in the streets?

Again, this IS NOT about college students carrying and storing guns on campus. There are very few college students living on most campuses that are even eligible for a CCW. This is about people who already have CCWs, not having to disarm when they cross over an imaginary line that is a campus boundary. I think you have been listening to a little too much liberal media trying to convince people that this is about irresponsible college kids running around with guns all of a sudden.
    RScottie and JoeLiberty like this.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Sharpshooter, Project Appleseed Rifleman

I do not listen to any liberal media. My opinions are my own. Wow just because a pro gun guy such as myself doesn't drink your koolaid , I'm the enemy. Ask yourselves this, is your uncompromising stance going to help or hurt OUR 2A rights in the long run? Is it going to garner more or less support from the masses? There has to be middle ground. Picture how the left would jump on a case where little Suzie got drilled thru her brain bucket cuz some idiot had a negligent discharge in his dorm room? Liability of the college, can they afford millions in lawsuits? I'm just saying there is a lot to consider. I work a job where I cannot carry, it pisses me off. But I have to comply or I lose my primary income. I would like that changed but I also understand the employers point of view. Its a complex issue, no easy answers...

I do not listen to any liberal media. My opinions are my own. Wow just because a pro gun guy such as myself doesn't drink your koolaid , I'm the enemy. Ask yourselves this, is your uncompromising stance going to help or hurt OUR 2A rights in the long run? Is it going to garner more or less support from the masses? There has to be middle ground. Picture how the left would jump on a case where little Suzie got drilled thru her brain bucket cuz some idiot had a negligent discharge in his dorm room? Liability of the college, can they afford millions in lawsuits? I'm just saying there is a lot to consider. I work a job where I cannot carry, it pisses me off. But I have to comply or I lose my primary income. I would like that changed but I also understand the employers point of view. Its a complex issue, no easy answers...
    We have been compromising for the last 80 years, at this point a "compromise" just means we lose a little more of our rights, and puts us that much closer to the antis ultimate goal.

You don't seem to be listening at all to what myself and others have been trying to explain to you regarding the people these laws will and will not affect. Lastly, you could make that "Suzie" hypothetical example argument about any place, anywhere, it's what the left loves to do. Talk about drinking Koolaid...
    RScottie likes this.

My main concern was storage and security of the firearm on college property.
    That's a different issue, and one that I think is worth discussing, and a legitimate concern. I wish you would have just said this to begin with.

Guns allowed, of course.

Liberal agitators, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    That's a different issue, and one that I think is worth discussing, and a legitimate concern. I wish you would have just said this to begin with.
    I thought I was clear but my wife has the same complaint...
    Havok and JoeLiberty like this.

Thats laughable now I'm a liberal agitator? Go back and read my history and I'll wait for another ignorant response.

Perhaps be less full of yourself. If I had been referring to you as a liberal agitator I would have said so. Not shy.

Truth be told that I,haven't read enough of your posts to have an opinion about you as a liberal agitator or any other type.

Was responding to the OP asking if gun's should be allowed on college campuses.
    Last edited by gasmitty; September 24th, 2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: deleted personal jaab

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLiberty View Post
    You should really go back to "not gonna debate it". Lol. Unrealistic?? Let's talk about unrealistic... You seriously believe that everyone on a college campus should be disarmed, because radical Islamists (or militant foreign students, or whatever) might be able to find a gun on one?
    (rofl) Maybe there are, but THAT is not one. If anything that is an argument FOR carrying in class. so much fail, it hurts.

Why do you people fixate on visions of armed drunk or drugged up teenagers? It's not realistic. It's not about college kids. Why should the teacher be disarmed? or the Admins? Because college kids drink at night, everyone in a 2 mile radius should abandon all hope of self defense? That's senseless! CHP holders are arguably the most responsible population of people that exist in this country. And that's who we are talking about... NOT college kids, CHP holders. Not late-night party goers, CHP holders. Not drug users, CHP holders. Are we not saying it right?? CHP holders. Maybe you don't know that many, but of all the ones I know (others can back me up), nobody is leaving their guns unsecured. And none would live in the dorms. We take our safety seriously. I'll tell you what. Go out and find me a CHP who stays in a dorm on campus, and the three of us can hash out whether or not they should be 'allowed' to keep a gun in their room. If your imaginings were a reality, it would be a problem in those states where campus carry is already permitted. Where's the smoking gun? Where's the blood in the streets?
    You people? So much fail it hurts? etc. lets not attack personally with rudeness. Just explain how you feel. We are all good people here. Good Thoughts, good points, help
    1911srule, JoeLiberty and Cricket like this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Perhaps be less full of yourself. If I had been referring to you as a liberal agitator I would have said so. Not shy.

Truth be told that I,haven't read enough of your posts to have an opinion about you as a liberal agitator or any other type.

Was responding to the OP asking if gun's should be allowed on college campuses.
    Fair enough, and I agree in that case...

I thought I was clear but my wife has the same complaint...
    I know that feel. So to sum up, you are actually for campus carry provided it is implemented similar to the new TX law?

From the new law:
    (d) An institution of higher education or private or
    independent institution of higher education in this state may
    establish rules, regulations, or other provisions concerning the
    storage of handguns in dormitories or other residential facilities
    that are owned or leased and operated by the institution and located
    on the campus of the institution.
    1911srule likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    You people? So much fail it hurts? etc. lets not attack personally with rudeness. Just explain how you feel. We are all good people here. Good Thoughts, good points, help
    Fair enough. Maybe the mods can edit my post so it doesn't violate anyone's 'safe space'.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links