Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? - Page 16

Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

This is a discussion on Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; Originally Posted by JoeLiberty I know that feel. So to sum up, you are actually for campus carry provided it is implemented similar to the ...

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLiberty View Post
    I know that feel. So to sum up, you are actually for campus carry provided it is implemented similar to the new TX law?

From the new law:
    As long as that weapon is secure when not being carried YES. Can you imagine firearms in college dorms? Heck the military doesn't allow 'em in the barracks, same concept imo.
    JoeLiberty and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    You people? So much fail it hurts? etc. lets not attack personally with rudeness. Just explain how you feel. We are all good people here. Good Thoughts, good points, help
    Sorry, I'm a little testy with this whole election BS and the threat to our gun ownership. I'm so ready to argue it I guess I brought it here. I'll relax if Trump gets in there. Otherwise at least 4 yrs of harassment and God knows what with our Supreme Court. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Sorry, I'm a little testy with this whole election BS and the threat to our gun ownership. I'm so ready to argue it I guess I brought it here. I'll relax if Trump gets in there. Otherwise at least 4 yrs of harassment and God knows what with our Supreme Court. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...
    I wonder how angry I could get you if I start talking about Trump supporting gun control...

gatorbait51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I wonder how angry I could get you if I start talking about Trump supporting gun control...

I don't get angry anymore, I switched to decaf. From the speeches I've heard him give he does NOT support gun control. He stated not too long ago he supported the NRA's stance on the terror watch list to give due process. Then the other night he was unclear on it. I gave him a pass as he was not very well spoken in the debate which was disappointing. But in the recent past he's been very clear to support 2A. Way back when he supported an AWB but when the race first started stated he reversed his thinking on that. All I know is that HRC is very clear enemy of 2A so its a lesser of two evils. Thats as good as it gets in this race.

A concern that I have (conspiracy theory, if you will :-) is that Trump will just say whatever he needs to in order to get in office, then once he is there all bets are off.
    Wait a minute, that seems to be what every politician does.
    Hmmmm...

yes they should, no reason for banning them.

students are not shooting each other. they are for the most part more interested in learning how to make money.

Distinguished Member
    I don't get angry anymore, I switched to decaf. From the speeches I've heard him give he does NOT support gun control. He stated not too long ago he supported the NRA's stance on the terror watch list to give due process. Then the other night he was unclear on it. I gave him a pass as he was not very well spoken in the debate which was disappointing. But in the recent past he's been very clear to support 2A. Way back when he supported an AWB but when the race first started stated he reversed his thinking on that. All I know is that HRC is very clear enemy of 2A so its a lesser of two evils. Thats as good as it gets in this race.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    A concern that I have (conspiracy theory, if you will :-) is that Trump will just say whatever he needs to in order to get in office, then once he is there all bets are off.
    Wait a minute, that seems to be what every politician does.
    Hmmmm...
    Killary is a habitual liar but she is telling the truth when she say's she will take on the supreme court, she does not believe the constitution applies in America any more and she will take guns away as she believes it is time for the 2A to be changed, is supposed to be restricted by the Gubberment. She believes it is her job to save the lives of every American by banning guns but she would not save the lives of Americans in Benghazi?

AT least for the moment, Trump says he will support the 2A and no more restrictions on it. He believes Americans have the right to bear arms. We can only trust that he does not need the money. Trust that he wont be bought like a politician. He does say he believes in the constitution. Not the best choice but he is the only choice. I think he will surround himself with the best of the best. Determine to make America Great again. He is not a politician. Not a Conspiracy.
    1911srule likes this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

I feels ya. Same here. Bro hug?
    1911srule likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLiberty View Post
    I feels ya. Same here. Bro hug?
    I spend all day at work with leftists who are strangely all on some kind of anti depressants. Its weird. They drink all the propaganda koolaid , so this site is comfortable to an old conservative like me. Even though we disagree on some stuff here, we're basically all on the same team.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

First I'll answer the question posed by the OP. YES, guns should be allowed in the classroom. No there are not any places that should be "gun free zones." People with CCW's have undergone training , many of them more than some police officers and military members receive. Most of them have invested their time and money in learning to handle their tools. Few police officers do this.

As long as that weapon is secure when not being carried YES. Can you imagine firearms in college dorms? Heck the military doesn't allow 'em in the barracks, same concept imo.
    There's a vast difference between "barracks" and "college dorms." Most CCW holders have received more training than the average barracks dweller. They've spent more time thinking about their uses of a gun. The military are generally trained to handle guns under combat conditions, not around civilians. With asymmetric warfare that has changed somewhat, but still, in the barracks, you have highly testosteronized (I just made that word up) young men who are frequently trying to prove who has the bigger pair.

You probably have noticed, but have not made the connection, that the military often DOES have its members bring their guns into 'the barracks' in combat zones. On a college campus, the entire campus can become a combat zone in a heartbeat.

1911srule seems to be mainly concerned with the storage of the firearm when the CCW holder is not present. It's a simple matter to take care of. I know students who live in dorms. They've installed a steel safe in the closet that's bolted to the studs in the wall. When they move out, they'll patch the holes, dab some paint on the patches, and no one will be any the wiser. It's not that hard to secure a firearm in such a structure.

VIP Member
    Heck the military doesn't allow 'em in the barracks, same concept imo.
    Which is also absolutely absurd!

A. Barracks overseas everybody has their guns in their rooms.
    B. How well did disarming the military in their own house work out at FT. Hood.

First off yes they should be allowed on college campuses.

Your statement " Can you imagine firearms in college dorms" 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and up through the 1980s, I'm sure there are people on this forum that had guns in their college dorm rooms, in fact I'm sure there are people on this board that took their hunting rifles to high school, and left them in their lockers or even in the principals office.

Suddenly when the internet was available to the masses in the early 1990's we apparently all became stupid.
    rcsoftexas and wizard7mm08 like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    I read the first post and skipped to the end. I'm sure my blood pressure would be sky high if I'd read all the posts. So if I'm covering previous points I apologize.

Firearms and concealed carry should absolutely be allowed on school campuses for all who are legal to carry. Gun free schools are a fools choice pipe dream as are most other gun free zones. We've allowed for, the most part, the liberal left take over our education system and we need to take it back.

When I was in college so many years ago we ole Arkie rednecks had all sorts of guns on campus. Times were simpler then and we didn't concern ourselves about CCW. However the bottom line was there wasn't ever a firearm problem on my college's campus while I was there.

Currently in Arkieville there is one public school district that allows it's teachers to CCW. The AR State Police at first said they couldn't allow that but finally backed down after the school district said they'd put their teachers through security guard training and treat them as such. The ASP leadership is vehemently anti carry. They only embrace it because of the revenue stream. It's now legal for college staff to carry *IF* the college board allows them to do so. If I understand correctly there are a few private schools that have staff and teachers who CCW. Good reason to send your kids to private schools IMO.

OK Rant Off.

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry View Post

Once again, the debate, as to whether or not concealed weapons should be allowed on college campuses (or in classrooms) is in the news as more states pass laws allowing it.

In Texas, some college professors are suing over guns being allowed in their classrooms.

Are there some places that should be gun free zones? Why? Why not?
    Let's get real here... "Gun Free Zones" are an administrative legal attempt designed to help defend an entity from being sued for not "prohibiting" weapons on their property.

Gun free zones actually become convenient killing fields for criminals who know that few people in such a zone will be armed.

Everyone (well, stupid/ignorant people may not know this) knows that there is really no such thing as a "gun free zone", except perhaps airplanes or public buildings that are protected with security checkpoints, metal detectors, etc.

Criminals can, do, and will enter any place they please with guns, regardless of whether a place has been designated as a "gun free zone" or not. And for that matter, many law abiding citizens will also carry weapons (concealed) in "gun free zones" so as to not be defenseless if a criminal should decide to go ballistic in said "gun free zone".

So, unless a place will fully implement procedures designed to virtually guarantee that a place is truly gun free (by use of metal detectors and searches), it should NOT be designated as a gun free zone.

"Law makers" pass laws and make regulations thinking that they are creating solutions to problems. They do that because it is their JOB. We hired them as "law makers" to "make laws"!

The problem is that making laws often simply restricts the freedom of law abiding people, whereas the great many who choose to not obey such laws are able to carry out whatever their intent may be, knowing that the law abiding citizens, in situations where there are prohibitive laws regarding having/possessing firearms, will likely be relatively defenseless. So, passing such laws is often a futile attempt to do something, when in fact relatively little is actually done merely by passing laws. And damage is done to law abiding citizens by such laws.

To a great degree, law makers are wasting our money and causing more problems than they solve!

We need strict term limits on those we elect to make our laws. The problem here is that they are the ones who determine what limits there may be on their terms. And the relatively ignorant electorate doesn't pay enough attention to politics to reign in so many bad politicians. Bad juju.

We have a good system, but it's so out of whack and out of control - which is entirely the fault of a largely ignorant or uninterested electorate (the PEOPLE) who don't pay enough attention to the process and to voting.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Ex Member Array kazaroflashkick's Avatar
    it is good and bad at the same time. because these kid are definitely going to abuse the rate to protect themselves

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazaroflashkick View Post
    it is good and bad at the same time. because these kid are definitely going to abuse the rate to protect themselves
    Care to elaborate on what you mean here? I ask simply because I am one of "these kids".
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links